Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Exporting American Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure they are refineries ,used to haul hot shot freight into all of them Shell ,Amoco , Conoco , Coastal ........can't remember the name of the last but they were bought by competitors and CLOSED to keep supply down and needed updating which wasn't cost effective then . My how things have changed !!! All the steel mills here closed too due to all the steel going overseas ........ya ok . Couldn't compete with the dirt cheap steel coming from Japan and China and now where are we ??
Old 08-15-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Mixer Man
That refinery excuse is just plain BS .......... right across the river from me in Hartford ,Ill are 5 different refineries and 2 of them were bought out and have been IDLE for years !!! They just started refining again recently due to enormous $$$$ being made now . I agree we need more refineries to keep up with demand but come on EVERYONE ,liberal , conservative ...whatever throws a fit when ANY industry wants to build next to them . Kind of reminds me of the electrical mafia that took California and other states to the cleaners not so long ago ..........remember that ? Same excuse not enough power plants ,blah ,blah blah when ENRON was selling it to the highest bidders out of state !! We just need to take our country back from these thugs no matter WHAT FREAKIN POLITICAL PARTY they belong to !!
WELL SAID !!!!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:10 PM

what about the recent news reports of china having overestimated there oil usage?if that be the case,how come demand didnt fall off and prices come back down some?........and used to be,all stations(except some out in the sticks mom and pop shops)had within 3 or 4 cents on their gas,now,ive seen up to 20 cent differences in station prices locally...whats changed in the last year?...........and all this ranting about liberal enviromentalist,dont be completely ignorant,there must be a balance maintained.you cannot simply rape and pilage till nothing is left.there are certainly extremist that take it to far,but that is not the norm.not all democrats think as this.before you go half-cocked off and post a bunch of crap,use your head.there is a middle ground that we must all stay in to maintain a balance of what we need,and what we will have to use as resources in the future...............................bama
Old 08-15-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hehehe....the electrical mafia. That's a good one!

BTW, I like the higher fuel prices. Promotes conservation. Liberal enviromentalists should love that.

MikeyB
Old 08-15-2005, 09:17 PM

Bama,
Several weeks ago I was in China. In the official english newspaper 'The China Daily' there was an article about just that. But at the same time China is stockpiling oil for a strategic reserve, Just like the US. China is concerned about a disruption in the supply line. The demand has somewhat leveled off but they are still buying oil like crazy.

MikeyB
Old 08-16-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by MikeyB
BTW, I like the higher fuel prices. Promotes conservation. Liberal enviromentalists should love that.

MikeyB
Does it?? Over the last year, fuel prices have risen 35%. Have you decreased your driving by 35%? How about 10%?

Most people haven't changed a lick concerning their driving, or driving habits. I've been about prices and talked about riding the motorcycle more, but have I?? Nope...all been talk, up to now.

Most people that I know of have to drive a fixed amount every day to work. I know of only 9 people where I work that carpool.

Promotes conversation, yes, conservation, not really.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I know that instead of having to buy 20-30 gallons of diesel every week for the truck I've only been buying 5 gallons of gas for the bike.

That conservation, ain't it?
And the DC Metro has been experiencing an increase in ridership also, as the increase in fuel costs have been equalizing the costs of riding public transportation vs driving/convenience.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:57 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Yeah my driving has changed very little, otherwise I would have to move into the city or quit. But don't think changes aren't being made. I was listening to reporters on NPR last night accusing us of just whining and not changing our lifestyle. Yeah we're whining because they have us over a barrell and whining is all we can do. But they're idiotic polls don't reflect the belt tightening everywhere else. A 2x6 is twice as much as last year for example. It's putting a BIG damper on a lot of the stuff I have going on. Eventually the retail companies are gonna start feeling it.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by Redleg
Eventually the retail companies are gonna start feeling it.

Just wait until Christmas.......

Gee honey......I WAS gonna buy you that diamond necklace you always wanted, and the toys the kids have been asking for all year.........but the truck needed fuel.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shovelhead
I know that instead of having to buy 20-30 gallons of diesel every week for the truck I've only been buying 5 gallons of gas for the bike.
Same here.

I've rode the bike more this past 3 months than I have the 6 years I've owned it.

Not looking forward to Fall/Winter.

Thinking about taking up prayer so the fuel prices come back down to normal by then.

phox
Old 08-16-2005, 08:59 PM

Stingerpup,
Yes I have. I ride the Harley more. I slowed down from driving 75mph down to 70mph or less. If need be I will slow down to 55mph.
I know people have to travel to work. I'm talking about the single trip for a single item type stuff. Or is it really necessary to drive several 50 mile round trips a week so your kid can play baseball (a buddy of mine is doing this )?
Just saying better planning is needed.

MikeyB
Old 08-16-2005, 10:28 PM

I'm willing to do my part and change my life style somewhat to help but wouldn't you think that the oil co.s could do the some. All you hear is record profits for the big oil co.s. I mean what do they expect???? Are they trying to lower our standard of living to that of a third world country. If not they are giving it one h------- try. Maybe we should think twice about putting a Texas oil man in the White House again any time soon. Whadaya think?

Jim
Old 08-17-2005, 07:13 PM

This is a question about what Dr. Evil said on the first page (right under the topic question). If Canada has as much or more oil then the middle east why is the gas more expensive than the U.S? Maybe some of the canadians on this website can answer my question.

Thanks