Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Exporting American Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exporting American Oil

Now, I know this argument/discussion isn't going to hold water due to big business, but I am entitled to my opinion.

I am under the impression that a large portion of the oil that comes from the Alaskan oil fields ends up being sold to Japan. Is this true? If that is the case, then there needs to be pressure to stop this practice. I know that the big oil companies make more money by sending the oil to Japan, but there are other compelling reasons to keep it here.

The oil companies are already recording/reporting record profits (profiteering?? ), so why can't they just keep the oil in the US. I understand this might cost them about 5-8% of their profits, but.....

<sigh>
Old 08-14-2005, 09:14 AM

Its a global market......companies want maximum profits - thats the way it is. I suppose the Government could stop them but doubt that would ever happen. BTW, Canada has about as much or more oil as the Middle East has.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:38 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Oil that is shipped overseas is not the quality that "we" are allowed to burn or refine. So, we send it over there, they burn it and it blows over on us anywhay. (at least thats the way I heard it).
Oil Companies (and their lovely execs) know that in the next 30-30 years there will (should) be a revolution in internal combustion or worse yet, a total paradigm shift in how we move around.
They need to rip us for all they can while they still can. I know........, supply and demand, blah, blah, blah.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It wouldn't make any difference in the price oil. The price is set on the commodities exchange market, Nymex. Plus, we don't have enough refining capacity to handle the extra oil anyway, thanks to the liberal enviromentalists.

MikeyB
Old 08-14-2005, 10:09 PM

does nymex trade every day?fuel went uphere 10 cents saturday,and 5 more sunday..liberals fault??whatever......if a conservative had the money and wanted to build a refinery,he would........................bama
Old 08-14-2005, 10:17 PM

and by the way,,according to the latest inflation rated fuel costs,,we`re at the number 2 spot now,,number 1 was in 1981,,,and who was president then?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:22 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally posted by MikeyB
thanks to the liberal enviromentalists.

MikeyB
Just out of curiosity, what is your solution? Drill up all of Alaska? If we found oil in Yellowstone N.P. would you support drilling there? How about Yosemite, Zion, Everglades, Banff, Hot Springs, Etc Etc…..? While I agree that we need independence of Middle East oil, I don’t think that drilling all over the U.S. is the way to go about doing it. What is your solution? And yes you could consider me a true environmentalist. I would imagine as long as they're not drilling in your back yard you wouldn't be against it?

Britt

Old 08-15-2005, 12:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
drill in my back yard I dont give a rip .we have all the oil we need ,its just another way for libs to do social engineering. and control the working people.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
T-7 if there was oil to be had in my back yard............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Talk!!

I'm just tired of paying people who hate us for their measly 10% of our national oil requirements and having them dictate the deal. If our illustrious Government(you're savior) would dare to take matters into their own hands and drill for oil here it would be a happy day! Not necessarily in Yellow stone , but my back yard sounds pretty cool about now , I'm paying 3.20 per gallon how about you?

Rick
Old 08-15-2005, 02:36 AM

Why don't we all just stay home and quit work until the price of oil is
$3.00/bar.

2002 Dodge RAM3500 4X4 DRW, LWB:
Old 08-15-2005, 02:58 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I remember back when you could drive down the coast and see all of the oil derricks out in the horizon.
They would be all lit up and really looked neat, they were a real engineering marvel.
No I would not mind seeing them off the coast or in the interior if we could KEEP the oil for our use and not ship it to a foreign country.
Some new designs in equipment might be in order to hide the looks from their surroundings.
If they can camoflouge a cell tower to look like a tree and a bunch of unskilled aliens can dig a tunnel a half mile long under the border so as not to be detected, then why can't they hide a oil well?
I am alot more concerned with the toxic waste companies and the government are "disposing" of in our neighborhoods and not telling us.
Or is it just just a concidence how many cases of cancer and birth defects are showing up in local neighborhoods?
Yellowstone might not be such a bad idea, It might be the worlds first oil supply and refinery
all being powered by geothermal heat and saving energy.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by t-7 firefighter
Just out of curiosity, what is your solution? Drill up all of Alaska? If we found oil in Yellowstone N.P. would you support drilling there? How about Yosemite, Zion, Everglades, Banff, Hot Springs, Etc Etc…..? While I agree that we need independence of Middle East oil, I don’t think that drilling all over the U.S. is the way to go about doing it. What is your solution? And yes you could consider me a true environmentalist. I would imagine as long as they're not drilling in your back yard you wouldn't be against it?

Britt

Obviously you didn't read into my message. I said "refining capacity". Back when the price of oil was $15 dollars a barrel and the oil companies wasn't making a profit the EPA madated all the refineries be updated for enviromental reasons. Many smaller refineries was shutdown instead of being updated to meet EPA requirements because of the cost involve. So now we are short on refining capacity. So all the oil in the world won't help us now.
And yes, I'm use to having drilling rigs in my back yard.

BTW, last week there was a shortage of Jet A that left many airlines in a panic at some of the major airports. A few actually ferried in tankers to refuel.

MikeyB
Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Get the stuff off of the comodities exchange and let them charge based on cost of production. If they want to export it, let them, but put the high taxes and shipping costs on the export prices. The environment would probably also benefit because if they get paid based on cost of production, they might be lee inclined to spill the stuff. Ok, now tell me the problems with that, but I don't think it's that far-fetched.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most Alaskan crude oil has always gone to Japan. The reason is simple. The West Coast of the U.S. doesn't have the refinery capacity to handle all of the crude oil that comes through TAPS (the Trans-Alaskan Pipeline system), and the supertankers that carrry this oil are too large to go through the Panama Canal to transport the oil to Gulf Coast refineries.

Since crude oil is a global commodity, though, this really doesn't matter. The Alaskan crude oil is sold to Japan at the going rate ($X/bbl), then crude oil is purchased from countries such as Venezuela at the $X/bbl going rate and transported to the Gulf Coast refineries. This left pocket/right pocket transaction has no impact on crude oil or fuel prices.

Rusty
Old 08-15-2005, 12:36 PM

Well, I have been thinking about this a bit. The cost of crude may be based on the world price set by OPEC and the others, but we don't have to stand for it. Nor do we have to hold anyone for ransom or threaten anyone.

There may be a bit of a problem at the get-go utilizing our oil from Alaska, but we don't have to charge ourselves $60/barrel for the stuff. Start building a few refineries NOW and stop ***** footing around with the crap. There hasn't been a new refinery build in ten years, and how many are under production now....one...two?

We can sell a percentage of the stuff to Japan at the world market rate, but we could charge ourselves the cost of production, which I KNOW isn't that high

If we started utilizing our resources a little better, we in North America could pay less for fuel at the pump. But again, my argument about corporate greed, record profits, etc is the one that holds the most water.

Quick Reply: Exporting American Oil