Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Exercise??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a pretty good weight set at home, that I try to use a couple times a week, but I’m not very consistent.

I jog once in a while, but mainly bicycle- mountain or road, but this last year or so I’ve been short on motivation for that, too… Used to do a few 2 hour or so road rides during the week, and at least one long ride during the days off.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I do three miles on a elliptical machine and about 30 minutes on the Bow-Flex. 5 days a week.

MikeyB
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PT, PT everyday, builds your body the Marine Corps way!!!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I guess since I started this thread I'll post my routine.

Some of you already know this, but at the beginning of this year I set a goal to lose 70 pounds in 2007. So far I've lost 31.

On Monday through Friday I get up at 4:30 in the morning and walk 4 miles just as fast as I can walk it and still maintain some kind of correct walking form. This is mostly up and down slight inclines and small hills in the neighborhood surrounding my house. I'm working up to running, but not there yet. On Saturday, as long as my schedule allows it, I get up about 6:00 in the morning and walk 6 miles. When my tennis partner doesn't have some other conflict, I also play tennis for 2 hours one night a week. That's my cardio.

I also lift weights two nights a week. The lifts I do are focused on overall strength and endurance. I have no desire whatsoever to be a body builder or a power lifter, so I don't train for that. I train for strength and endurance using the following routine...

Workout 1 - Sunday Night
Bench Press - 1x15 @ 50% 1RM (one rep max), 1x10 @ 70% 1RM, 1x8 @ 80% 1RM
Front Squat - Same reps as above
Lat Pulldowns - Same reps as above
Deadlift - Same reps as above

Workout 2 - Tuesday Night
Bent Over Dumbell Rows - Same reps as above
Back Squat - Same reps as above
Standing Military Press - Same reps as above
Romanian Deadlift - Same reps as above

Fun stuff.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:26 PM

Weightlifting, boxing, running and mandatory PT sessions.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, i just want to thank you all for making me feel so good about myself!

now wheres my comfort donuts and snickers..........
Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 PM
DTR Mom

Same Here, Chris...

loved the advice from the CALIFORNIA PERSONAL TRAINER, THANK YOU!!
I respect you enough NOT to PM ya though...

splitting and hauling wood, playing with the Siberian dog, loved swimming the first five months- then the pool closed. could swim in my pond but have to fight the koi that I am NOT food! household chores and really paying attention to what and how you eat!

injury ridden for 30 years but i can still bench 100 pounds and touch my palms on the floor for flexibility. past 45 and NEED to lower my Body Mass Index for a healthy next 20 years....

my goal is the same as Hoss's exactly, so I know I have to get a routine
running kills me. do have 95 acres to walk or trim the trail, lots of thing to do, working on setting the time to actually DO IT!

best of luck to you fellas
Heidi in NY I am available to watch a DTR body building competion
Old 05-22-2007, 02:58 PM

my schedule is walk all over the farm more times than i can count. this week hand stack 15 ton of hay in pickups as they come and go for hay. couple hundred ton to go before oct. still got a gut so i get on the treadmill once in a while and always feels good when done. at 48 and being a mister mom to a three year old keeps me sleepy. nothing better than a good shovel and a quality hole to dig. nobody comes close for fear you will ask for help. and when done you can see what you have done. when i worked at the city for a 3year spell none of the under thirty crowd would work with me because i worked to hard. i told management to hire people who had rough hands if you want any work out of them.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

Yeah you could say I work out....I'm in the gym every morning for 5 days a week, and my weekends are my off days. I tried working out in the afternoons, but I noticed better results working out in the morning. I start out with cardio first thing, then I switch to my dedicated part of my body for that day. I hardly ever use machines, they just don't give you the strength of free weights.

I usually try to work out for a minimum of an hour and a half, some people only work out for 30 minutes and that just won't do it.

~Nick
Old 05-22-2007, 03:25 PM

I lift 4 days a week and cardio 6.

my food plan is just as the trainer man said..

Bfast.. 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, protein shake, and oatmeal when I get to work spiced with splenda and cinnamon, and 100% apple juice.

mid morning snack: I make beef jerky out of cheap steak at home with a dehydrator.

lunch: pack of tuna, 1 piece of 100% whole wheat bread, sweet potatoe, and a salad with oil and vinegar dressing.

mid afternoon snack: more jerky, and carrots and celery.

supper: grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts, another sweet potatoe, salad, 1 slice of 100% whole wheat bread.

if it is a workout day, then I take a protein shake 30 mins before the workout, abd include a piece of fruit in my supper.

Fruit is not the best thing if you are trying to lose weight, it is full of sugar, which you want to avoid. You also want to avoid processed foods that have complex carbs.. Which is why I have the sweet potatoes in my diet instead of regular potatoes..

Workout..try and combine muscles each day that get used in different workouts. Like back and biceps.. You use your biceps when you do anything for your back..

day 1..
Bench press 5x5
dips 3x12
chest flys 3x12
Tricep extensions 3x12
tricep push downs 3x12

day 2..
parallel squat 5x5
leg extension 4x10
leg curl 4x10
calf raises 4x15

day 3

dumbell row 4x10
lat pull down 4x10
pullups (assisted) 4x10
shrugs (shoulder lifts) 4x10

day 4
dead lift 5x5
SLDL (straight leg dead lift) 4x10
preacher curls 4x8
dumbell curls 4x10

cardio should be done in the early a.m. if possible with no food being eaten before. Only water.. I still do a cycle (spinning class) 3 nights a week that last 50 mins per class. great cardio right there as it is interval.

I have been on this routine for 3 months and lost 30 lbs. I am 6' 245 now and bench press 350 for reps, squat 405 for reps, deadlift 405 for reps. I hardly ever max anymore.. I will try and post some before and after pics of my progress soon.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HappyGA
Workout..try and combine muscles each day that get used in different workouts. Like back and biceps.. You use your biceps when you do anything for your back..

day 1..
Bench press 5x5
dips 3x12
chest flys 3x12
Tricep extensions 3x12
tricep push downs 3x12

day 2..
parallel squat 5x5
leg extension 4x10
leg curl 4x10
calf raises 4x15

day 3

dumbell row 4x10
lat pull down 4x10
pullups (assisted) 4x10
shrugs (shoulder lifts) 4x10

day 4
dead lift 5x5
SLDL (straight leg dead lift) 4x10
preacher curls 4x8
dumbell curls 4x10

That is how I used to train but I have changed to

Monday- Chest
Tuesday- Legs (and Traps)
Wednesday- Back
Thursday- Sleep
Friday- Arms

Since going to a routine like that I have noticed MUCH more gains in muscle size and strength due to being fully rested as opposed to being tired by the time biceps roll around on your back/bi day.

This might make the thread a little more interesting to read, what types of supplements does everyone here take?

I normally will take protein shakes 3 times a day that are around 60-75 grams of protein (mixture of sources for different time releases). Then before a workout I will take a caffiene-free nitic oxide drink to increase fatigue resistance and increase vascularity. Afterwards I take a post workout creatine like NO Xplode (or something else that is creatine ethyl ester malate). Wait about 30 minutes and I will follow it up with a fast release protein shake that is around 70 grams of protein. And last but not least before bed I take a protein shake that is slow realease and a second serving of creatine.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:59 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lift 3-5 times a week and though my diet is not that strict I do eat 5-7 times a day, every 2-3 hours.

Before I graduated I did my cardio (usually eliptical) 6 days a week every morning and I lifted at least 5 days a week after class. Dispite all my efforts I still only got down do 9.?? percent body fat and now I am closer to 13-15%.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 PM

I take a green tea extract, Lipo 6, and 100% whey protein.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:09 PM

I am in fire recruit school, it's PT every morning, either strength base or running, which I'm up to 8 miles now and then afterwards I'm spent!!! I'm not that good at PT, but I only have 2 more weeks of recruit school left, then it's back to the weights, while trying to keep up the running. I heard that after 30 minutes of running, it's basically fat burn. I ran a 16 min. 2 mile, which is good for me. But that was on a trail mostly uphill, we run a timed 2 mile on the track on thursday, so I'm hopin for somewhere in the 15 minute range. and I'm bout 195 and 6'
Old 05-22-2007, 04:10 PM

I lift weights and bike every other day and play hockey pretty much everday, with the day of rest somewhere in there varying the schedule.

That's my excercise.

Quick Reply: Exercise??