Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is everyone who shoots a gun right handed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember when I was a kid I'd go shooting with my old man, and I'd shoot an old bolt-action .22 rifle and a semi-automatic .22 rifle. Being left handed, that semi-auto would eject the hot shells right onto my right forearm. By the end of the day most of my forearm was red. Sometimes being a lefty bites!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:52 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets not even talk about 3-ring binders or can openers
Old 10-04-2006, 12:00 PM

You're shooting trap with a 11-87 and recoil is hurting you?? Go shoot an 870 or worse yet, a Benelli Nova 500rds in a day if you want pain!

With my Perazzi I can blast off 12-1300rds before I'm hurtin' Weighs about 9.5-10lbs, so that helps

On a serious note though, I haven't seen anything left handed for reducing recoil. Maybe put a Mercury recoil reducer in the stock...I've had real good luck with them. Makes the gun heavier though

Does the shell ejection bother you when it flys out in front of your face?? Always bothered me even being right handed!

Chris
Old 10-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

I'm thinking that shooting a right side ejecting shotgun with my left hand would be about as much fun as getting stabbed in the eye with a soldering iron. All my left hand is good for is holding my watch and bringing the beer to my lips. That's about it.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:09 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 870 WingMaster is a kicker that shot gun pucnhes ya pretty good was worse yet tell i re did the stock on it because before i got it from my dad he had at one time used it as a oar becaue they lost theres dont ask and the recoil pad was rotted off
Old 10-04-2006, 12:17 PM

Yeah but the shoot so dang good, and hold up exceptionally well!!

Chris
Old 10-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I shoot funny my self. I am right handed but left eye dominant. Pistols I can shoot right or left handed. Rifles I prefer to shoot left handed, since I and left eye dominant, and can hold the rifle steadier with my right hand. Shotguns I shoot right handed.

I have never really used a shooting shirt before, what do they do, reduce the impact on your shoulder?
Yep, I'm right handed but shoot rifles/shotguns left handed. However, I shoot handguns right handed. So I have no idea what eye-dominant I am.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
You're shooting trap with a 11-87 and recoil is hurting you??

No pain, just leaves red marks if I only wear a T-shirt.
Kinda' hard to sneak off to the range if I have evidence left on my body

Because the super-mag won't cycle light target loads, I have to shoot 1 1/8 ounce, 3 1/4 dram equivalent shells. Stinks because they are expensive, as compared to 7/8 ounce loads. Shot a friends Benelli this weekend, was a pump, don't remember what model (cost was about $369). Nice gun. Thinking of getting one for the "under the bed" gun. Have wanted a pump so I don't have to worry about the auto-loader jamming at the wrong time.

~Rob
Old 10-05-2006, 02:07 AM
Chapter President

I haven't shot anything other than air soft in a year and that was a Glock that shoots a laser on a back drop (real gun fake target)(for a college class) I shot mainly right but did a little left and wasn't too far off from the right. When I went to feed the horses at home I would pack a pistol and holster incase of snakes and I would turn the holster so I could get to the gun with either hand if need be. I'm left handed (or used to be). I used to be able to do everything any direction it needed to be done except throwing a ball (and now I'm not very good right handed, kinda scares me that I used to be able to throw level from 3rd to 1st base and now I'd have a hard time hitting a house) Most everything for me now is getting right handed except for writting
Old 10-05-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
No pain, just leaves red marks if I only wear a T-shirt.
Kinda' hard to sneak off to the range if I have evidence left on my body

Because the super-mag won't cycle light target loads, I have to shoot 1 1/8 ounce, 3 1/4 dram equivalent shells. Stinks because they are expensive, as compared to 7/8 ounce loads. Shot a friends Benelli this weekend, was a pump, don't remember what model (cost was about $369). Nice gun. Thinking of getting one for the "under the bed" gun. Have wanted a pump so I don't have to worry about the auto-loader jamming at the wrong time.

~Rob
Ah, now I understand. We gauge our shooting by those red marks. Bruises are extra points

I have seen some shooting vests that you can add a gel pad in the shoulder...maybe one of those would work??

Also understand those heavy target loads...I reload, and everything I shoot is a 3 or 3-1/4 dram load, depending on what I'm shooting. Also load some "Whammy" shells for game shoots where I'll have some long distance shots. 75yds from the trap house is where a little hotter shell can help

Dang it, now you got me wanting to go shooting
Chris
Old 10-05-2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I shoot funny my self. I am right handed but left eye dominant. Pistols I can shoot right or left handed. Rifles I prefer to shoot left handed, since I and left eye dominant, and can hold the rifle steadier with my right hand. Shotguns I shoot right handed.

I have never really used a shooting shirt before, what do they do, reduce the impact on your shoulder?
I have the same problem. It's a pain until you get used to it.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:35 AM

Left handed shooting shirts.

I've been looking for a decent shooting shirt lately, without special ordering one. I have been to several sports stores and can not find one that is made for lefty's. Everyone I looked at had the patch on the right side.
Are all you lefty's shooting as a right handers?

~Rob
You might try Elm Fork Shooting Park in Dallas. It's where the old Winchester gun club used to be. The last time I was there they had quite a few shooting shirts.

David
Old 10-05-2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by berettaman
You might try Elm Fork Shooting Park in Dallas. It's where the old Winchester gun club used to be. The last time I was there they had quite a few shooting shirts.

David

Hey David,
Yep, they have a bunch and they are all right handed
That is a nice facility. We just started going there after Backwoods Traps (in Little Elm) sold out to developers

~Rob
Old 10-05-2006, 01:29 PM

speaking of bruises, nothing like sneaking in a 3.5" max load with a few claybird loads......my pop was like *****.........LOL

plink, plink, blaaaaaaaaaaaam!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:03 PM

Hey David,
Yep, they have a bunch and they are all right handed
That is a nice facility. We just started going there after Backwoods Traps (in Little Elm) sold out to developers

~Rob
Hotdram,

Sorry about that. I was sure Elm Fork would have had some shirts for lefties. I know some of the guys who used to run Backwoods. I still run into them now and then at sporting clays shoots.

Take care.
David