Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is everyone who shoots a gun right handed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is everyone who shoots a gun right handed?

I've been looking for a decent shooting shirt lately, without special ordering one. I have been to several sports stores and can not find one that is made for lefty's. Everyone I looked at had the patch on the right side.
Are all you lefty's shooting as a right handers?

~Rob
Old 10-03-2006, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I shoot funny my self. I am right handed but left eye dominant. Pistols I can shoot right or left handed. Rifles I prefer to shoot left handed, since I and left eye dominant, and can hold the rifle steadier with my right hand. Shotguns I shoot right handed.

I have never really used a shooting shirt before, what do they do, reduce the impact on your shoulder?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I shoot my rifle left handed too I got a Rugar 30-06 with a left handed bolt
Old 10-03-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I have never really used a shooting shirt before, what do they do, reduce the impact on your shoulder?
Yes. There is a thick patch of cloth in the area of the shoulder where you rest the butt of the gun. Been shooting lots of sporting clays lately with a super-magnum and the shirt would make it a little better. It's also time to get my .30-06 sighted in for deer season

~Rob
Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hotdram
I've been looking for a decent shooting shirt lately, without special ordering one. I have been to several sports stores and can not find one that is made for lefty's. Everyone I looked at had the patch on the right side. Are all you lefty's shooting as a right handers?~Rob
I'm ambidecs... ambidextri... I'm ambe... I can shoot eqaully bad with either hand!

Honestly, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at 50' with a shotgun. I'm not bad at all with a bow, but with a firearm I'm deadly... to MYSELF!

ANYWAY... how 'bout this: http://corporateoutfitter.cabelas.com/product/942860

Or this; http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...re_id=3&bhcp=1

There's some here too; http://www.surefoot.net/products/?id=70

And here; http://www.filson.com/sm-left-handed...i-2405203.html

And they say I'm just good for makin' the coffee!

chaikwa.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:31 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Originally Posted by hotdram
It's also time to get my .30-06 sighted in for deer season

~Rob

Rob LOL my 30-06 was last sighted in about three years ago it rides around in the back seat of my pickup and has been in numerous pack trips riding in a scabbard and our deer season opened last Saturday and never thought nothing about it. After we were done hunting for the day an were sitting around resting I thought well heck lets see how bad it is. At 100yrds i put four shots in a area no bigger than a quarter i just don't think I am going to be getting rid of my elchepo 20yr old Bushnell 3x9 just yet.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:31 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I cant help you. I dont use a shooting shirt.

but as for your question. I shoot which ever way I need to. I shoot right by default, but I am just as comfortable left handed.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the links Chaikwa, I will try them out. I don't shop online ofter. I just always like to put my grubby mitts on the stuff I am going to buy before I buy it. Thanks for the "coffee" too

DodgeCowboy, thanks for reaffirming for me that "mo' money" doesn't mean "mo' better". I have a cheapy Bushnell too

~Rob
Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 PM

I'm a lefty shooter too, actually I'm pretty much a lefty everything . Even put my snowplow controls on the left side of the cab
Old 10-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

Rob,

I'm not sure what kind of shotgun your shooting, but why don't you try a Remington R3 recoil pad on your stock before you pull all your hair out looking for a left handed shirt....

I can shoot my 1100 Competition Master all day and not have a mark or feel anything later that night.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 AM

People actually use their right hand for things? Wow how weird.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:41 AM

Hey Nick,
I shoot a Rem 11-87 super-mag. It came with the R3 recoil pad, that thing is great. Still would like to get a shirt, tired of the wife asking why the red marks

2500CTD,
The only thing I use my right hand for is to row my gears

~Rob
Old 10-04-2006, 07:19 AM
Banned

No kidding!

I have shot over 1000 rounds in a day with that recoil pad and not a mark on me.

Well in that case... It sounds like your not too fond of ordering things online, but that may be your best bet at finding something you really like.

You could try LL Bean. Their stuff can get on the pricey side, but almost everything I have ever bought from them is very durable. Oh yeah, they even have a left handed option right on the web page for their shooting shirts. There are only a few of them, but they are almost all available left handed.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a custom made gel filled leather shooting pad for my left shoulder. Used it for the M1 service rifle competitions.

MikeyB
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 AM

lefty here, i just let the hot brass fly past me and hope it doesnt fall down my shirt.......LOL

Quick Reply: Is everyone who shoots a gun right handed?