Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

ethics question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've dealt with this sort of thing all my life - even as a young teen I was more capable and mechanically inclined than my buds.

Some friends will appreciate what you give to them out of your time, talents and $$$.

Most won't.

Learn to distinguish between the two types and avoid giving the latter more than one chance to take ya for granted...

Sometimes your "friends" don't appreciate ya because they don't know what to do themselves and thus can't seem to comprehend the sacrifices involved.
Rarely, a "friend" might just be a skank loser parasite: move them out of your "circle" as soon as you discover the truth.

It helps to be patient, which isn't too hard if you're service oriented.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GetBlown, I just got back to Utah a few months ago after spending 14 months working in Silver Spring Md and living in Beltsville. Man I would have killed to have a fellow member I could have helped out, plus giving me something to do on the weekends.
Your story reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago, Good friend was building a home out in the country about 1/4 mile off the road and had to run a 8" water line back near his lot for a fire hydrant and culinary water connection. He has been a friend since we was knee high to a grasshopper, anyway he calls and asks if I could haul the 580 backhoe to his place and help him out with his water line, I say sure. Didn't think anything of it showed up the next weekend (75 mile drive one way), worked saturday and sunday got it all in and back filled. Left the 580 there with him the next week to move some dirt around his foundation. I returned to get the backhoe, loaded it up, BS'd for a while thinking he would flip me something for fuel, time, wear and tear, something. Anyway not a thing, I got in my truck and drove away and never looked back on the whole deal, figured I didn't ask for anything and he didn't offer anything so he got an additional 3k to put towards something else being that was what he had in his budget for the waterline.

I guess if he's ok with it I'm ok with it, but I now know what to expect next time.

T398