Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

ethics question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, the BEST thing to do is give him a quick chat... Don't make it seem like a big deal. It's even going to be harder now because of all the comments in this thread probably got you thinkin'.

But in a calm voice just say "hey bro, I'm kinda broke right now. Tell you the truth, I didn't know I had to fill up your whole tank no matter what when you offered your truck. Cause we only used up half of it. I mean, I could've taken my dad's truck you know?"

If he doesn't accept the 1/2 tank, pay him the 1/2 tank anyway (b/c that's all you have in your wallet) then keep your distance from the ****.

Now if you didn't have your dad's truck available and he was your only hope, then I agree that it's fair and a nice way to show gratuity by filling up his whole tank. But I still think it's jacked how he actually said "wait till my tank is closer to empty" before you fill it up...
Old 09-02-2006, 06:55 AM

My 2 cents, I don't know the guy, but I would guess that he was just saying that to see what you would say and really doesn't expect you to give him anything and isnt going to take anything even if you offer since you help him out and all.

If he is not that type of guy and is serious, than you have to ask yourself how much you value that friend and either just fill it up and not say anything and go on , or fill er up,not say anything and just be to busy to help him when he needs it.

I wouldn't tell him to kiss your *** or anything , just take it on the chin and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Good Luck
Old 09-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

There is an old saying "you always know who your true friends are". That's my thought.Been there done that.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just wait to see how much he asks for and pay it. I agree with Lary, just hit him up hard the next time if it is unreasonable. My guess is it will be reasonable.

I fly my buddy all over. He pays for fuel I get to fly somewhere new. I enjoy dropping everything and ferrying planes all over the country, and I know I'll be treated fair. He knows I don't screw around with gallons used... he knows how much my plane uses! LOL
Old 09-02-2006, 07:43 AM

sorry so long!!!!!!

i am big into racing and so are several of my friends we all have trucks but i am the only one that has a van also. IF i am going to go to a race or something anyway and invite them to go i NEVER say anything about gas. it usually works out in the end with something anyway. how ever 2 weeks ago a "friend" called and asked me to drive him 55 miles to get a motor. i was tired and had to work the next day and asked what was wrong with his truck he said nothing he just didnt want to clean out the bed to go got that motor. so i said i guess icould.
made the trip came back home and had to go to 2 different places for him to get it unloaded. now it is 11:30 and i have to be up at 5 he is talking this guys leg off and i'm just standing there wishing i had wore my boots!! i told him i have to go and he says oh just chil for a few min. we are talkin. needles to say he got to walk home 10 or 11 blocks next day he acted like nothing ever happened and asked if i was driveing this weekend and i said NOPE i dont have the money for gas or time to go he acted like i was joking and i just shrugged it off
this guy thinks everyone should just help him and be ok with whatever he wants to do he hasnt asked me since

stand up to your freind and tell him you will pay for 1/2 if he doesnt take it cause he wants more say this or none!!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:59 AM

I'd fill his tank and be done with it. Consider it lesson learned for not topping off immediately after retuning home. Is the additional 25 bucks or so worth your friendship?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:48 AM

He might have been just screwin' with you about waiting until his tank was empty and has no intention of having you cover the gas for your trip. Maybe he views it as payback for other things you have done, or, maybe a deposit for installing his liftkit?

If he shows up and truly does expect you to fill his tank, the I'd just fill it and take the lesson in stride. Come next week when he is looking for all that mechanic work I would be looking for something else to do with my spare time.

Sounds like he needs to buy some tools and build a garage. We all have things that we do better than others, maybe he is no mechanic, but it would not hurt him to learn.

I do tons of stuff all the time for people. As I see it, whatever I volunteer to do has NO expectation of some type of return. If you have no expectations then when someone does not offer a return out of thanks for your help you have nothing to complain about as you volunteered. When someone asks for something, then an expectation of a return is the obvious and should take place. The return may be less than what you thought it should be, or, it may be more than you gave it value.

I'd tread lightly to see how all this plays out and be certain that I paid him back, even if it ended up on the heavy side with a whole tank of fuel. Be gracious, he did help you, and if it costs you more bucks, then in the overall he owes you. Some lessons cost us more than we feel they should, and can go deeper than you realize in the moment. You might have a little less cash but he might end up with a little less of a friend.

CD
Old 09-02-2006, 09:14 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Oh my, the fun Judge Judy would have with this!

If you burned a half tank, put in a half tank and y'all go get lunch.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:25 AM

I USED to have friends like that.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:31 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

to top it all off does he relize how much money you had to fork out over the last month to put fix your truck??
Give him $50 and be done with it.
But next time he needs you to work on his stuff it's $40 an hour labor.
Once i get my jeep off the lift you are welcome to come on over and use it. i usally only charge beer and that usally gets drank by all while workin on stuff. and i usally supply the wings. Now i gotta find what all these extra parts are for.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
to top it all off does he relize how much money you had to fork out over the last month to put fix your truck??
Give him $50 and be done with it.
But next time he needs you to work on his stuff it's $40 an hour labor.
Once i get my jeep off the lift you are welcome to come on over and use it. i usally only charge beer and that usally gets drank by all while workin on stuff. and i usally supply the wings. Now i gotta find what all these extra parts are for.
speaking of which, i have the kit now to fix my leaky vacuum pump. next week after she is running, think we could schedule a time to get it on the lift and get that pump out and fixed...easier then me doing it on my back here at home. i can bring a case or two of your favorite beer.

also-to add to this situation...this "friend" has not called me yet this weekend to hang out, i guess im not good enough to hang with them, just good enough to be their grease monkey. oh yea, ive already informed some of the others who have used my garage that there is going to be a charge now, and they looked at me like i was joking.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As soon as i get my Jeep off the lift bring it on over. Although i don't know when that will be. I still need to get a spool for a Dana 44, install all the new stuff, put it in the jeep. I'll let you know. I have an open bay but the lift is in use. I'll probably get one off Ebay this week. See ya Sat @ the Buck. For those of you who don't know about this check out this link. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=110250
Old 09-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I use to have friends like this. Do all kinds of things for them and not ask for a penny. Need help with one little thing and hear crickets. Just flat bend over backwards to help them out. They didn't appreciate it a bit. Well, long story short, they weren't much friends at all. Good friends are hard to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 01:48 PM

Forget filling it up.

250 miles. / low 16mpg. = 15.6 gal. 16 gal at $3 gal = $48

Give him a $50 and tell him to *****#$$#% and have a great day!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I use to have friends like this. Do all kinds of things for them and not ask for a penny. Need help with one little thing and hear crickets. Just flat bend over backwards to help them out. They didn't appreciate it a bit. Well, long story short, they weren't much friends at all. Good friends are hard to find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know this sort of thing happens a lot and I think part of the problem is the difference in the amount hassle one has to go through to do a favor. What I mean is, for example when your friend asks you for a favor, for you that favor might not be a big deal so you say "sure no problem!" But then when you ask a favor from him, the favor you ask might be a bigger hassle to your friend (maybe due to bad timing or whatever). So he hesitates but feels obligated to accept; sometimes not accepting... So think about the situation before you judge a friend based on one incident.

Quick Reply: ethics question?