Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

ethics question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ethics question?

here is the scenario:

I need to make a 250 mile round trip to pick up my head for my truck, i could take pops 04 or my buddy calls and says, we'll take mine and i'll ride along for company. i say ok and agree that on our return ill top off his tank for using his truck.

he shows up with 80 miles on a fresh tank, the needle just moved off the full mark, we make the trip and in total use a half tank. we get home late, and after unloading my head, i tell him to stop by the next day and i'll take him to top his tank off (half tank). to me that would be fair since we are always helping each other out with stuff (i gutted the cat, and straight piped his truck last week). well he tells me that he will call me sunday when his truck is closer to empty, and i can fill it up then.

does anyone think im wrong for thinking he is not right in making me WAIT til he is on E to fill it up, thus costing me about $100.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No thats pretty jacked up, maybe a little extra for wear and tear or whatever, but not filling it all the way up.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:55 PM

Tell your bud that for 250 miles worth of joyriding to pick up your head, you will fill his truck up as far as 15 gallons costs.
That should cover the 250 miles you "enjoyed" each others company

Gary
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 PM

I would hope he was only joking cause if he's not you need to find a new friend.

If he offered his truck, then topping the tank off would be appropriate. If you begged him to use it then I'd say maybe a full tank wouldn't be too out of line.

If it was me...I would have done it for free just to help a brother out. Money and friends just doesn't mix.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:05 PM

I would call the road trip his repayment for you gutting and straight piping his truck. To me sounds like your all even!! Nothing owed on either side.

Travist
Old 09-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Banned

pay for the fuel YOU used. Or use dads truck.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's like something I would say.

Altough I wouldn't be serious.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:14 PM

I agree with Begle1 - I'd hope he was kidding. If not, then wow - you need to find some new friends.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:19 PM

I wouldn't say that was a real friend...... I would do the same for a buddy of mine and at most would have only wanted a lunch from McDonalds......Thinking of the future and myself needing a favor of equal value.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

we'll see, on tuesday his 3" lift kit, and new wheels and tires come in...he will need a garage and tools to install it.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It all comes down to how much value you place on your friend. If it were me I would fill his tank and forget about it, then the next time he wants you to do something to his truck, tell him it will cost him some fuel

My point is square it up right away so you don't have any issues between you. Friends and money don't mix, so keep everything upfront and out in the open that way you don't lose a friend

I borrowed my Bro in laws truck for a week when I had some tranny issues. He brought it over and parked it in my driveway for a week and I NEVER drove it.

I returned it to him the next week with a full tank and a fresh wash job even though I never used it. I value him and his kind effort enough to feel I owed him even if I did not drive his truck.

Thats just the kind of guy I am, you need to decide what is right for you
Old 09-01-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
we'll see, on tuesday his 3" lift kit, and new wheels and tires come in...he will need a garage and tools to install it.
maybe i'm just way too nice, but that seems a little harsh. if you have a problem w/ his actions, talk to him about it before denying him the help. sure what he said was wrong, but i wouldnt put a friendship in jeapardy because of it. my $.019
Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM

I guess I'm lucky...me and my best friend don't worry about the small stuff like that...I help him, he helps me, then we catch up on the bigger stuff.

I'd make sure he knows the shop rent will go up if he makes you fill the tank...after all, you didn't burn all of it, and you offered to fill up once you got back!

Chris
Old 09-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derek840378
maybe i'm just way too nice, but that seems a little harsh. if you have a problem w/ his actions, talk to him about it before denying him the help. sure what he said was wrong, but i wouldnt put a friendship in jeapardy because of it. my $.019

in our group everyone helps everyone for free...I OFFERED THE HALF TANK OF FUEL and he told me to wait until he is on E then i can fill it. well tough cow manure, you get half a tank now or none. ive spent so many counless hours helping friends, him in particualr, on his jeep and truck. yet when i had to put a DD and tranny in my truck i worked with my father only, i pulled the head by myself, and i will for sure install it alone. they dont come to help me. so maybe im way too nice as well. but ive learned this lesson-friends come and go, they wont always be there for you no matter how much you do for them. the only true friend i have is my own father, cuz he has always been there.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 PM

I would wit and see if he was serious, perhaps he is just going to forget the whole thing and not ask you to fill it up at all.

Quick Reply: ethics question?