Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ethernet NIC

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPP/SLIP is installed specifically because you have a POTS modem.
In Ethernet connections you no longer use PPP/SLIP.

From what you are saying thus far your Ethernet NIC is not setup, since it doesn't show up in Device Manager then it is likely diabled in the BIOS.

There is such a thing as PPPoE but we don't want to go there.

As stated, look at the screen during start up and you may see "Press Delete to enter Setup" or something like that. But i'm afraid that Dell usually hides this from you so you don't see the POST screens.

Do this, Dell Screen, there will be a status indicator and probably the model name of you computer on this screen, this is where you will be able to enter the BIOS. clicking Delete, Esc os something along those lines.

You are welcome to PM me a phone number and I will call you and try to walk through this.
Or I can set you up to call Microsoft with a Grace case and get this setup for you. I wouldn't waste a grace case on this though.

Call Dell Support they can handle these things very quickly also.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redpoint, I followed your directions. Worked perfectly. Found that my computer has a "INTEL (R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection". It was disabled. Changed it to enabled. Ran Bellsouth's program to see if the computer was now "qualified" for DSL. Got a big check mark on all items. Thanks to all who replied. Problem solved.