Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

End of the line for my F.I.L.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don, our prayers are also with you and your family.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Prayers sent out to you and your family
Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, thanks for the replies. The old guy is still kicking and is comfortable as of this minute. His heart stopped 6 times last night. I was not there, but the wife said it was quite a scene. He has a DNR, but his wife (my wifes step mother) did not say anything about it until after the attacks. My wife complained about the DNR request and asked why they were keeping him going. The orders are NOW to not keep him going again if his heart stops. He is drugged and cant feel a thing.

The point of this whole post is to get you old farts who refuse to go get treatment to change your minds. He could still be fine if he would have not been so hard headed on getting his kidney disease treated. I hate hospitals and doctors more than most, but if I need to be looked at I am not going to hope it will cure itself.

He kept savings accounts earmarked for our kids. He knew he was not going to be a 80 year old man and planned for it. Everything is covered. House is clear. Debt is low. Insurance and burial. Cars are clear. Even still, there is a ton of stuff to unwind. His wife is Filipino and she understands very little of how things work in this country in these situations. The wife and I will be certain no ins company or bank will mess her over.

Our house will be open for the entire family to stay. Most live out of town and some out of country. He was a mean ol thing sometimes, but war is hell on some guys and he saw enough for a room full of people. We will all miss him.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don, Sorry to hear about the news. I know what its like, we just layed my Grandpa to rest last week.
He lived 96 years, very hard to let go, but its important to understand that there is a better life ahead.

May you and your family stay stong, and find peace.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Very sorry to read this as it reminds me of a few old farts here that might have been better off had they mentioned some of what was/is happening and had they seen a doctor. It is what it is.

As you mentioned...even with many details handled, there is still lots to go through. Had this happen a few yrs back and we are currently in the middle of a similar situation.

Thoughts and Prayers from here to you and yours Don.

Scotty
Old 09-14-2010, 09:53 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prayers to the family.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Prayers for you and the family Don.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Prayers Don for you and the family.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Don,
I know where you and your wife are while going through this. I lost both my mom and dad as well as my mother in law. Each fought a hard fight to keep things going for a while, but eventually each had had enough and each resolved to pass rather than fight any longer. It is a tough thing to watch the pain they endure, and in the end, when the pain is gone, it is comforting to know that each one of them was finally at peace. Thank God that your family members had the wherewithal to allow him his rights to the DNR.

May peace and God be with you and your wife during his passage.

Gary
Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 AM
DTR Advertiser

Update:

He is doing better. Has been on a respirator and a drug induced coma since Monday. They took him off of it yesterday and cut off the coma drugs. He is breathing on his own and just starting to wake up. He can answer with nods and open his eyes when asked. He knows my wife is right there with him and wont let go of her hand. She asked him if he wanted to get better and he shook his head YES. She asked if he wanted to die, he shook his head NO, very fast!

He has a ton of doctors and one of them is very excited about his progress and thinks he will recover, but will need some therapy. He said the guy was fighting to stay alive and did not want to go yet. He also said that as a doctor he has never seen a man that old have his heart stop 6 times and fight as hard to stay alive as he did. He also said that no person would live through his condition unless they were trying very hard to do so. I have to admit he is biggest and strongest man I have ever seen and this is NO surprise to me. Even in his mid 70's he is about 280 pounds and has very little fat on him. He is 6'5" and a mountain, IMO.

We have gone from the doctor telling us to call the VA and make the funeral arrangements to; he is getting better and has a great chance of recovery. He does have an infection, but is responding to the antibiotics. What a roller coaster!!
Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whatever the outcome Don, we'll have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:24 PM

Don, that is good news. You and your family will remain in our prayers. Keith
Old 09-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Prayers sent.

MikeyB
Old 09-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
More prayers sent for continued good news!

Power of prayer can be a big thing.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
So glad to hear that this does not look like the end of the line!
I think sometimes we underestimate how tough a cookie a man can be.

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: End of the line for my F.I.L.