Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Electricity Prevents Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:08 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
As stated, this is old technology. Many hot water tanks also have it. I cannot see how it would work on a vehicle as the system need an electrolite to function and this is missing on any vehicle. It is in a radiator, but not on the entire vehicle.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We use it on our natural gas pipelines...

We attach Anodes made of magnesium to the mains and services.. the voltage running through the pipeline is about 1.5 to 2.0 volts.. the Anode corrodes before the pipeline..

Basically we just made a large battery out of the pipelines..

All of your water heaters use this same thing.. to only difference between your 5,10, 15 year waters heaters is the number of anodes inside the tank... a 15 year has 3 of them and a 5 year has 1. When the anode corrodes out then it starts eating the tank.. Hence the flood...
Old 09-03-2006, 12:37 AM

????

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
A heck just run a couple of 00 leads from your battery to the chassy on a continuos loop. Not sure about rust but it makes for one hell of a anti theft system.
Little tough on batteries though.

You have a sacraficial anode that is more reactive to the environment than the base metal. The same idea with galvanized hardware. The environment reacts with the hot zinc coating on the steel until it is gone then,.... well now time for the base metal to oxidize.

L8r,.............dogger

Last edited by dogger; 09-03-2006 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-03-2006, 01:11 AM

Using zinc annodes and using an electric charge for corrosion control are two different monsters.

They use zincs as a sacrificial metal for the corrosive properties in water to attack. It is a much softer metal. There is still a minute amount of corrosion to the surrounding metal but it is nowhere near what it would be if the zinc wasn't used. As a machinist, I used to make the annodes for our saltwater cooled diesels and other cooling systems on the ship all the time. It is a lot like lead ... very soft, gummy to cut and can be a real PIA to cut threads on... but it works wonders because I was steadily employed making them .

Don't confuse degaussing with using current for corrosion prevention ... apples and oranges. I don't really know enough about electrolisis ... but would like to learn.

PISTOL