Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ebay? Possible Scam

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay? Possible Scam

I have bought 2 things off ebay due to the scam rates i have heard about. Recently i bidded on an edge for my truck, i lost the bid. Then miraculously i get an email saying i have the item your looking for, for US$150. So i replied back asking if this was a scam. No, no scam i have one for $150 and if you want two it will be $250. So i ask why do you have two of them. No response just some letter asking me for my address and name. So i fill the thing out like a dummy. Then the next step was to send money by western union to romania. I AM NOT SENDING ANYTHING TO ROMANIA. I havent lost anything over there and dont want anything sent to me from there. I never filled it out. Anyway i get home today and check my email. I got this message telling me there is a dispute about me not sending the money to this person, and i need to resolve it within 48 hours or i will be suspended from ebay because i am considered a non serious bidder. I emailed them saying the best thing they can do is suspend me. IM SO FIRED UP!! I dont understand, i didnt win the original bid, they are telling me this is a second chance bid. The item was never listed by this person. How is this a second chance bid? Its not even the same person. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I dont know much about ebay and apparently i am going to have to stay off the site.
Sorry i had to vent. Id like to get my hands around their romanian neck!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
It sounds like he is sending the second "suspend you" message in an effort to force your hand into completing the upload of your info.

If there is a question as to the validity of the message, I'd email one of the techies in EBAY.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 PM

Never Western Union anything for payment. They can have a name of Joe schmoe on the other end and once they got their money siyanora. Ebay is not that bad of a place. Look at feedback and you can tell if someone is scamming or not. Also pay with paypal. I did come across a fake ebay page once but for me it was pretty easy to catch. I clicked on an item and it took me to an eact replica of an ebay page but the address bar showed a non ebay address. They're getting sneakier. But for me knock on wood I only got burnt once out of a couple hundred transactions. And remember if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. End book>
Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 PM

Yeah the two things i bought i paid with epal. Like i said this item wasnt listed by this person on ebay. It was i guess some kind of second chance offer. But i didnt see any second chance offer, just some person emailing me to sell me one. I didnt have any idea that the person was in romania or i wouldnt have replied to any of her crap. How am i liable? The original person was in the US and it was a different name. How did they get the information to know what i bid on as well as my email address anyway? Kind of scarey!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 PM

pos dodge, I'm with shovelhead, send the ebay tech a message if you are concerned. If it was me I would not worry about anything until my privileges were actually suspended. Not sure how they get your info, maybe from the bidding info but I have had this happened to me a couple times. I would bid on an item and when it was over and I lost someone would e-mail with a second chance offer. As suggested do any transaction you can with PayPal, they have a great grievance resolution system. They can even get you your money back if they find in your favor.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM

I agree with you rocky. But like i said i had no idea that for one, the person was in romania, two, that i had to use western union instead of paypal. Oh i remember now, i got something saying the member couldnt use paypal at the time, and three i never committed buying the item. I dont like being threatened about something i have no control over. I never even filled out the information to attempt to send money. I closed out of the page when it said to fill out the form to send money western union to romania. I wanted no part of it.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You are going about this all wrong. Instead of getting worked up over nothing, YOU should be the one reporting this stuff to EBAY.

The person is an obvious scammer and EBAY will be 100% on your side, once you take the time to contact them about the problem.

Good luck and congrats for NOT getting scammed
Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
You are going about this all wrong. Instead of getting worked up over nothing, YOU should be the one reporting this stuff to EBAY.

The person is an obvious scammer and EBAY will be 100% on your side, once you take the time to contact them about the problem.

Good luck and congrats for NOT getting scammed
Thanks for the info. I will wait for them to receive my nasty email and see what they have to say about that. See if they call my bluff. I should email her a picture of 150 us dollars
Old 11-21-2007, 12:25 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I have been getting stuff from some bozo about me not paying him, I never even new I was in a bid. Forward your emails to this, spoof@paypal.com. they will know right away it is bogus. Then they can deal with it.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:06 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Sellers may not ask or require you to pay by instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. They may not ask you to pay by cash. These payment methods are not permitted on eBay. Please refer to the Accepted Payments policy for details on permitted and non-permitted payment methods. Payment services that are not permitted on eBay may, in fact, be outstanding services for consumers in other contexts. eBay’s evaluation relates only to whether a particular service is appropriate for the eBay Marketplace. If a seller asks you to pay with a payment method that is not permitted on eBay, report the seller.
As found here ~ http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/payment-ov.html

What to avoid
Paying with instant money transfer services such as Western Union and MoneyGram that send cash instantly from storefront locations, by telephone and over the Internet. If your seller insists on using only these payment options, report it to eBay.

Transactions where the seller only accepts cash.

Unsolicited offers. If the seller offers to sell you the item directly without bidding on and winning the item on eBay, please don't respond. Instead, please report it to eBay immediately.

Fake escrow services. Use caution when considering an escrow service to pay for your item. For eBay transactions, you should only use the following eBay approved escrow companies: For a list of approved sites, Using Escrow Services.
As found here ~ http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-buyer-tips.html

Here's some interesting reading about Romania and Ebay ~ http://answercenter.ebay.com/search....&numResults=15
Old 11-21-2007, 08:14 PM

THANK YOU so much for the info. Now i dont feel stupid and ****** off. I havent received any emails back since i replied with that nasty one last night, i checked when i got home from work. I kind of figured it was a scam after seeing that the user couldnt use paypal as well as the seller being in romania, and having two of the same item. THANX. Lesson learned