Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Early mornin fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending upon what part of the country your in a "potato bug" is two different things. I assume your refering to Jew Crickets when you talk about them? I can't imagine anyone being afriad of the little roll up kind.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
Depending upon what part of the country your in a "potato bug" is two different things. I assume your refering to Jew Crickets when you talk about them? I can't imagine anyone being afriad of the little roll up kind.
No, we're talking about these things, not rollie pollies...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=96687

Old 09-11-2006, 10:58 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Out in the country recently I picked up an old board and underneath was this; http://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/learnin...-eating-spider
This spider was about 6 inches across. Should've heard my wife who HATES critters like this!!! Must admit, it did make me jump.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:22 AM

Forget that. No spiders bigger than a nickle for me. I'd be on top of my truck dancing around and yelling for someone to kill it. And I'd have a fire extinguisher up there with me.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:58 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Begle1
No, we're talking about these things, not rollie pollies...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=96687
Now i understand all the fuss about potato bugs , THIS is the kind of potato bug we have here:

We don't have any creepy crawlies around here, only about twice in my life i have seen garden snakes ( they are like 12" long) , and those things are more scared of you than you are of them. It's just too cold up here for them things, we got us BIG critters like these:

That friendly fellow there is 8-10' high , or more and weighs several thousand pounds.

that cute fellow there is about the size of a small cow.

Supposed to be a few of these kittens running around here.

And don't forget the greatest fisherman to ever live.

Last edited by JKM; 09-12-2006 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spellin
Old 09-12-2006, 09:53 PM
DTR Advertiser

update

We moved the tarantula outside in hopes it would find and kill the millions of crickets we have around here. They really do more good and little harm so it survived...

Tonight we found two more. One crawling along the wall near the front door and one in the grass under a tree near the sidewalk. Seems the massive cricket population is keeping the big spiders fed good. The one crawling along wall was really laid back. Just kinda minding his own business and moving really slow. Even with my 3 boys ( 8, 6 and 4 years old ) pointing and yelling at it. I told the boys to keep at least a foot away and went back inside after a few minutes. Came back about 10 minutes later to see what all the noise was and the oldest decided he was going "to pick it up and see what happens" LOL Boys!

Don~
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Banned

Tarantulas can really screw with your eyes if you get a few of thier hairs in them. They kind of fling their rear hairs at you off their abdomin.

My 20/60, chimical burned, radiation scarred eyes even felt some burn. "Put the angry tarantula on the face!" Ah, drugs...
Old 09-12-2006, 10:45 PM

Shouldn't have read this post....so much for sleeping good tonight...
Old 09-13-2006, 04:09 PM
JKM

I don't know about you , but i went and got a kiddie pool that my bed would fit in , and filled it with 12" of water , keeps most the the creepy crawlies out , ceptin the ones that can fly.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by JKM
Now i understand all the fuss about potato bugs , THIS is the kind of potato bug we have here:
This is what my family knows as a "potato bug" too.. I've killed a bunch of them at my grandfather's farm, picking them off the 'tater plants and dropping them into a coffee can with 1/4" of gasoline.

That other creature that gives Beagle the ******* is just plain weird! Don't they call them Jerusalem Crickets, Mormon Crickets or something like that?
I will be honest, I've never seen that creature live before down here in S.Tx. Texas has some really weird ones, but THAT one takes the cake!

Some years, regular "Jiminy" type crickets drive us crazy at the plant... Waves and waves of those nasty creatures emerge from the ground and cluster around the building entrances under the lights and hide under and inside electrical cabinets and die by the tens of thousands.... Oh my gosh..The SMELL!
When they get so bad, and you've got to walk through them out in the Units, you make sure your pants legs are either tucked into your boots or you put a rubber band around your pants legs. They panic and bounce and crawl up inside your pants leg where it is "dark and safe" .
One year in the late 70's when they were so bad, a co-worker went and got one of those big industrial shop-vacs. He plugged it in and turned it on to help me clean out a bunch of those dead/dying soldiers from the bottom of a UPS cabinet. Unfortunately the shop vac was already FULL of them from someone else's bright idea... TOXIC GAS RELEASE!!! My co-worker lost his breakfast and I almost did..
At night they cover the ground and drive us CRAZY!... But during the DAY, the Sky Roaches RULE!... (SkyRoach=Seagulls)
Heathcliff and Gertrude and their extended families make absolute PIGS of themselves reigning terror on poor little Jiminy. They gorge themselves up to the point they don't want any more durned crickets..
Apparently even Seagulls get weary of a straight Cricket diet!
I've seen it early in the morning after they've first emerged from the ground at night, the Seagulls will just get wind of "FOOD" and it looks like a scene from Hitchcocks "The Birds"... They are standing all around just WAITING for any movement. Pick up a piece of cardboard lying on the ground and there are bunches of crickets underneath.. If you get the Gulls attention before you pick up the cardboard, you can witness a real rout!

I am just glad we don't have the Tarantula mass migration problems that is so prevalent down toward the RioGrande Valley area...
Old 09-14-2006, 06:35 AM

bugs

came out of the shower a few years back. walked into the kitchen there in the floor was a 3 ft. black snake. still havent figured that one out. wrapped in a towel a put out side snake survived. months before i would put my feet on the floor at nite without a lite on.