Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The Drug Problem in America

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by IA_James
Wasn't Lifebuoy thank goodness.
Lava tastes worse, now how did I know that...
Old 05-23-2005, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every gang and druglord in the country is opposed to legalized drugs. It would take the profit right out of the hood.
Yep, we used to get paddled at school and then got it again when we got home if we got out of line at school. That all ended in '72. Now you can hit, bite, scratch, curse and spit at your teacher and if you're disciplined, your mom can sue the school.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Banned

How true that is. I had the same thing done to me. Shoot. I'm dang near 20 and my dad still threatens to spank me (and I think he would). Kids these days have to many rights. I threatened to call child protective services on my dad one day after he whipped me. He said go ahead. But when I get out, I'll find ya and whip ya again. That was good enough for me. I turned out alright even in an era of drugs. I firmly support whipping in schools. I'm gonna tell my kids teachers (which will be a long way away hopefully ) that if my kid acts up, don't be afraid to paddle them. Cause if the teacher doesn't do it, I sure as heck will.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:56 AM

Mom had the number for the Child protective Services on the refridgerator door, and we always threatened to call them on her....that is, until she got her last whipping stick.

About 20" of an 1-1/2" curtain rod.....that one left a mark.

For some reason, I got beat more than my brother and sister. Wonder if it was because I laughed at my mother while she was whoopin' me

Chris
Old 05-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Not trying to start a war but I disagree

Originally posted by edwinsmith
The government should stop trying to prohibit drugs because it just doesn't work and simply causes more hardship, corruption and fills our prisons with non-violent offenders.
Drug prohibition "fills our prisons with non-violent offenders" Hmm. I hardly think that this trooper's family would agree.

Web-Posted May. 18, 2005 01:32: AM
Malone guilty of trooper's slaying

LAWTON, Okla. (AP) -- A jury returned a guilty verdict Tuesday against a former Duncan firefighter who was accused of killing a state trooper after a struggle on a rural road in Cotton County.

After deliberating for less than two hours, the jury found Rickey Ray Malone guilty of first-degree murder. Prosecutors said they intend to seek the death penalty.

Malone, 30, was accused of shooting Oklahoma State Trooper Nikky Joe Green, 35, on Dec. 26, 2003. Green was shot twice in the back of the head. Portions of the crime were captured on Green's dashboard-mounted video camera.

Malone had testified he was operating a mobile methamphetamine lab in a car.

Green approached the vehicle and ended up losing his gun in a struggle after slapping a handcuff on one of Malone's wrists. Green was shot with his own weapon.

Malone testified that he was in a drug-induced haze at the time of the killing and thought he was fighting for his life against a robber. He claimed voices in his head told him to shoot Green.

District Attorney Robert Schulte said after the verdict that this was a very emotional case.

"It was just a senseless death," he said.

Defense attorney Cheryl Ramsey said she was not surprised by the verdict but had hoped the jury would consider that Malone's mental capacity was harmed by methamphetamine use.

"We were hoping mental health issues would prevail," she said.

Schulte said in closing arguments that Green's own desire to arrest Malone without violence may have led to his death.

"Trooper Green knew he was walking up on a meth cook, he was going to be ready," Schulte said. "He had every opportunity to take Malone's life, but Trooper Green tried to take him down physically and not kill Malone.

"That's the kind of person Nik Green was."

Schulte described how Green lay on the ground and pleaded for his life before he was shot.

On the video, Green can be heard saying, "Please don't kill me. I've got kids and a wife." His last words were "Lord, Jesus Christ."

Ramsey said in her closing arguments that Malone's mind had been ravaged by use of methamphetamine.

"This is a case of what meth can do to a person," she said.

"He'd been smoking meth every hour and had been awake for 21 days before the shooting."

She said drug use and lack of sleep took away his ability to form the intent necessary to prove the first-degree murder charge against him.

Malone had testified that methamphetamine use made him paranoid.

He lost jobs as a Duncan firefighter and an emergency medical technician.

The trial was moved to Comanche County because of scheduling conflicts of expert witnesses and because Cotton County has only two trial dockets each year.

At least 30 other Oklahoma Highway Patrol troopers have died in the line of duty since 1941.

The last trooper to die in the line of duty was Chris Van Krevelen who was killed on Thanksgiving Day 2002 in an automobile accident while responding to a report of a train-car accident in Enid.

http://www.news-star.com/stories/051...50518017.shtml
Old 05-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Illegal activity of any kind would made one paranoid of getting caught. Blaming the illegal activity for killing the trooper like a rapist blaming his women victims for killing the cop that busted him. Next time I freak out and perform dental work on someone, I'm blaming my coffee.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:14 PM

treat it with the same laws as alcohol (the nations no 1 drug problem). get caught operating a motor vehicle or contribting to a minor you are commiting a crime.
tax it the same as alcohol and tobacco .

If your neighbor is not flushing his toilet on your lawn it is none of your business what he is doing and likewise it is none of his business what you are doing.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 PM

I am sure thankful that my parents also believed in the "drug" treatment as well. I actually could have authored that little piece, although I never actually had the soap-in-the-mouth treatment growing up. Believe me, some of my neighbors did though!

Regarding meth, (which is quickly crippling this country in many ways) there is a growing problem in the US of houses being sold that were old meth labs and still have toxic chemicals imbedded in the walls, floors, and insulation. It can be cleaned, but it's very expensive and nearly impossible to know you cleaned it all. In most cases the house itself actually must be torn down - and many buyers have found out after the deal is completed. I heard this on NPR news, anyone else hear it also?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by herb
treat it with the same laws as alcohol (the nations no 1 drug problem). get caught operating a motor vehicle or contribting to a minor you are commiting a crime.
tax it the same as alcohol and tobacco .

If your neighbor is not flushing his toilet on your lawn it is none of your business what he is doing and likewise it is none of his business what you are doing.
Yep, treat it the same as alcohol.... are you sure?? Set up a still and see what happens to you. Try to smuggle it in from Columbia and see what happens to you. So... you still have the drug raids, the smuggling, the possession... try getting stopped on the road with a few jugs of good old white lightning. So treated like alcohol, what would change so drastically? All that would change is that those over 21 who want to legally buy it can get snokered. They will still drive, they will still need medical attention. Your private sales would be just as illegal so the pushers would still be out there and in prison.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:17 AM

Moonshining is no more than a hobby now. The profits were taken out of illegal alcohol by making legal alcohol available. The moonshine gangs dried up. It's available either way but legally it can be taxed. People drive while intoxicated whether it's legal or not. Might as well control the abused substance and tax it while taking the profit out of the gangs and drug lords.
Making drugs illegal hasn't solved the problem. It's only served to glorify the problem for people who "want what they can't have", the "forbidden fruit" attraction. It's also making thugs and governments of crooked countries extremely wealthy due to the cost of "risk" to make these drugs available to the people who will stop at nothing to get them. Just like alcohol was when it was illegal. All the while the people who would use these drugs are already using them or are locked up in prison while violent criminals and child molesters are let out due to prison overcrowding.
I wish we could make them go away. They are distructive to our society in every way. Making them illegal has only made the situation worse by artificially magnifying their value through risk and glorification putting extreme wealth into the wrong hands. We'll have a drug problem either way. Will it profit the medical and police departments who have to deal with it or will it profit the drug lords and crooked governments of foreign countries?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Hannibal
Moonshining is no more than a hobby now. The profits were taken out of illegal alcohol by making legal alcohol available. The moonshine gangs dried up. It's available either way but legally it can be taxed.
On Sunday morning I used to sit and have breakfast at the Huddle house in Heflen Alabama. The Revenuers would meet there to plan their day. This was in the '80's. While you may be right in Florida, this is not and was not the case in Alabama, Georgia, and Kentucky. They even made some movies about it. I never knew you could braise copper until the different jobs would come it to make tanks and what not. Yes it is mostly gone now but in the '70s and '80s it was alive and well 40 to 50 years after Prohibition was ended. "Its available either way" says it all. That is in your own words.

Why not just make the rest of the stuff that the masses want to do legal. Priests should be able to deflower children, beating the wife, why not. Why is speeding illegal? Everyone wants to do it. WHY IS SMOKING ILLEGAL? Multiple wives, I could go on. There has to be limits, you can call alcohol drugs just like heroin, but that does not make it so. There has to be limits, a line in the sand so to speak. Without that, civilization will go away, I could name a few places that are darn near there. Is that what you want?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HID, you're right on!!

Rusty
Old 05-25-2005, 05:36 PM

Smoking isn't illegal. Smoke all you want in your own home. How could you possibly equate child molestation to someone putting dangerous chemicals into their own body like meth or nicotine in the privacy of their own home? Beating the wife is a violent crime like molesting a child. Not a substance abuse issue. Alcohol is far worse than heroin. It has destroyed more lives than all other drugs combined. Alcohol related highway deaths are just one of the ways it kills and ruins lives. But prohibition didn't work. Neither is this futile drug war that only serves to increase the value of the illegal substance making the manufacturers and trafficers extremely wealthy. Why isn't speeding legal? It is legal. 70mph is fast enough to kill everyone involved in a head-on collision. You can splatter even more out west...
Old 05-25-2005, 05:45 PM
Banned

And in all actuality, I believe that raised speed limits in the past have lowered highway deaths...

I don't know for sure, so don't cite me... I'm sure somebody will disprove me.

EDIT: Well, I wasn't completely wrong...

http://members.***.net/mathmistakes/speedlimit.htm
Old 05-25-2005, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Hannibal
Smoking isn't illegal. Smoke all you want in your own home. How could you possibly equate child molestation to someone putting dangerous chemicals into their own body like meth or nicotine in the privacy of their own home? Beating the wife is a violent crime like molesting a child. Not a substance abuse issue. Alcohol is far worse than heroin. It has destroyed more lives than all other drugs combined. Alcohol related highway deaths are just one of the ways it kills and ruins lives. But prohibition didn't work. Neither is this futile drug war that only serves to increase the value of the illegal substance making the manufacturers and trafficers extremely wealthy. Why isn't speeding legal? It is legal. 70mph is fast enough to kill everyone involved in a head-on collision. You can splatter even more out west...
Interesting thoughts, but I don't agree. I could care less what someone does in their own home, but drugs are not done that way. You are probably right though putting them in prison does not work, may hanging would. I am anti drug. Selling drugs, especially to minors, first time prison, second time death sentenence. I have not had alcohol pushers trying to sell whisky to my kids. I would recommend you drive 45 mph to be safe.

Quick Reply: The Drug Problem in America