Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Drove a Toyota Tacoma Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Devil Dog
Before I own a jap truck, yes.

BTW, last I heard the Big 3 is not in competition with a Mexican auto manufacturer.
They are not in competition with any Messican auto manufacturer. Mine (05) was assembled in Mexico, just like the "american" Wrangler jeans I wear...
Old 10-08-2007, 03:43 PM
tcr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't sound like many here have driven a NEW Tundra 5.7L, they flat out haul the shizzle, they fly w/ no load! Not sure how they pull though. I would agree that they'll smoke the 1/2 ton competition. I wouldn't think(after driving one) that they would be at home w/ 10k behind them, they drive way to comfy to be a real truck(HD). I'll let you know how milage is, doesn't look good so far.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:21 PM

my uncle jose built my megacab now if i can just get him across the boder to wash it for me and cut my grass i would be set got to love a familia
Old 10-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
Hmmm, you say "facts" but you use the word "probably", which is it?
Well everything except the GM comment I know is a fact. (which is why I put that in parentheses) Funny how you skimmed right over those parts. You know the ones that showed you don't know what your talking about.

P.S. How's that Union built American made computer your using?

I'm having a hard time reading this list, could you Devil Dog read it to me. I can't seem to find anything Dodge, or Chrysler on there. Authough I do see Toyota listed 3 times. Maybe it's just me. Facts my friend!!
Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 PM

I've owned 7 Toyota made vehicles. most in the mid to late 80's. they were good but far from perfect vehicles(transmissions, head gaskets, and lots and lots of rust). i also test drove the new tundras because of the crewmax cab. they are a very nice 1/2 ton truck. but after watching the video comparison of the ford frame vs the Toyota i was reminded of how Toyota is better than any other manufacturer at being cheap in the places you normally don't look. so after years of being completely satisfied with my GM's I'm jumping to a Mega Cab with a Cummins. having a fully boxed frame along with a great crash rating doesn't hurt either.

also don't forget. when you buy a Toyota that is made in the USA your helping a company that not only competes against our domestic automakers world wide but your supporting a company that imports many vehicles not manufactured in the USA. which in turn hurts the domestic auto economy.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:15 PM

Wow some STRONG opinions here!

I have a hard time believing the commercials. Can you blame me?

I will admit that in 1/2 ton gassers the Tundra might be the shizzle. My buddies 00 or 01 (not sure which) Tacoma is rather a slug, but does do whatever asked of it.

But I'd sure like to see one that weighs about 8,200LB before I get in have a lifetime since I've owned including all towing/city/highway/dirt road etc. avg. over 19mpg........
Old 10-08-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nirion
I wouldn't say you are an idiot. But what would you say to someone that is pulling almost 3 times the recommended trailer weight of a truck? I am not saying the truck can't do it, obviously it can. But does it make sense?

A Tundra is a 1/2 ton gas truck. It does what it is intended to well. I would put it up against any Silverado 1500, F150, or Ram 1500 any day. I would still take a Cummins Ram over it though.
For one thing I am Licenced for 39,000 GVWR
I save 15-20K a year hauling my own livestock,grain machinery. I haul cattle on the side and charge $40 to load and $3.00 a mile. I traded my 04 for my 06 for $8000 So to me it does make sense. As far as durability the Dodge Ram holds up very well. And when I unhook the trailer I have a nice truck to drive around.
I just past 36,000 miles on my 06 Warranty claim free
I have nothing against a Tundra or any of the others competition is good for the consumer and I wish they were all made in the USA
Old 10-08-2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
... I wish they were all made in the USA
I think this a statement we can all pretty much agree on!
Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Banned

Check this out ... if u haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0

No Dodge ... I wonder why Ford chose not to compare with the Ram on this one?
Anyhow, I just thought the Toyota run was hilarious ... unless of course you were actually in the truck doing 70 mph and this happened... this vid was shot at only 28 mph. Scary really. I see a re-design coming.
I always pictured Toyota as a great truck ... for women to go grocery shopping ... so much for the eggs.

all in fun!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:33 AM

I'm with JFaulkner on this one.

Interesting video. Finally Ford found a test in which they could beat Toyota. Funny how Ford's sales numbers are plummeting and Toyota's are on the rise. Must be the marketing.

I realize this thread is about Tundras but I owned a Tacoma TRD before this truck. It was awesome off road and would kick any 1/2 ton pickups butt in the off road department. I sold it because it didn't tow and I sometimes miss it. So far the Dodge is serving me well.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Since I watched that video I've been keeping an eye on the bed/cab joint of my Ram and I have yet to see much if any movement.

I honestly don't see how I could have done any better than getting this particular 2003 Ram 2500!!!