Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Drove a Toyota Tacoma Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
here's yet another thing that i think is hialrious, they've been so talking up toyota, but watch the vid, and you'll clearly see it's not all it's cracked up to be. lol.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=3
Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM

Jfaulkner, you made a real good point about these "foreign" trucks being built in America & these American trucks being built in a foreign country. They are opening up jobs for the people in the area, that says something right there.

How many of you have heared of the Toyota Hilux? It's a later model pickup that was real common in Australia and other parts of the world. They had a clip about it on the show "Top Gear". They beat the living snot out of this truck. They anchored it in the ocean as the tide came in, it fell from a roof top, ran into brick walls, ect. And that sucker was still chuggin along. I know it's a older model truck and things change within a company over time(engines, reliability issues, ect) but I wouldn't be so quick to call this newer model truck a pile of scrap metal.

It is what it is, a 1/2 ton gas pickup. The average person dosen't have to haul more 10k pounds often or tow a huge goosneck home on wheels. The people who live within a crowded city who like to get out on the weekends won't need a huge 4 door long box 4x4 fullsize truck.

On another note, I agree that the commercials they are showing are way over hyped. A line realy needs to be drawn between what's real and fiction.

*Edit* Here is a short clip of the video I was describing above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhoOkMccPZo
Old 10-07-2007, 10:09 PM

lol. I love that. It's so true though. My other Vehicle is a 1987 Toyota 4Runner. I'll admit the old toyota's are tough. I know from expierence what kind of abuse they can take and keep running. Okay got a story. I used to work on a farm and our JD 4020 diesel tractor wouldn't start for some reason think battery was dead. So we used my Toyota to tow it back to the house because my boss was gone to town with his truck. Which we were just getting ready to spread manure across the fields. Our manure spreader was pretty old so it was still run off a chain drive connected to the axle that turned the spreader tines and conveyor belt. So we hooked it up on the back of my Toyota and used it to spread a full load of manure on the crops. Roughly probably 7 to 8000 lbs worth. Had to cruise in 4lo because that was the only way to get going with only the 4 banger and almost 200,000 miles and needless to say, good thing i didn't have to go far or slam on the brakes. Not to mention the countless number of times i have jumped it across terraces, dirt mounds, snow piles, anything that can be jumped and it's still running and now my dad is driving it daily because he wrecked his truck. Which now the future for my toyota is going towards a rock clawler that's going to get started hopefully this coming spring once i move back to my home town when i'm done with school.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=Jfaulkner;1728774]I know it was originally posted as a joke but some on here actually believe what they see on the Internet. They honestly don't understand why they're not using a Tundra to tow that trailer. Probably the same idiots that think because your Dodge will pull a trailer with 40k on it it's a good idea. They don't understand that pulling a load is only 1/3 the equation. You know that whole pesky stopping and controlling the load thing they don't think about.

So I am a idiot because I pull 42,000 with my Dodge??? Controlling is not a problum neither is stopping. Its called trailer brakes and a exhaust brake.

I wonder how many Illegals are working at that San Antonio plant Its a joke please
Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
Yea, me neither. I'll stick with my Mexican built Dodge with my Brazilan cast engine. Forget those darn foreign built (San Antonio Texas) Toyota's. I mean just read this article. Look how unamerican those Toyota people are only employing 2000 of the 100,000 applicants at their new 1.28 billion dollar American built plant. They should be ashamed of themselves dumping all that money in that local economy.
LOL, you can babble all you want but I only buy traditional american steel that is built by UAW members.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM

Aren't all the Megacabs built in Mexico? I thought only the 2500 quads were built in Missouri....
Old 10-08-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Devil Dog
LOL, you can babble all you want but I only buy traditional american steel that is built by UAW members.

Muchos gracias senior....
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So basically you are telling us that you walk????
Old 10-08-2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD

So I am a idiot because I pull 42,000 with my Dodge??? Controlling is not a problum neither is stopping. Its called trailer brakes and a exhaust brake.

I wonder how many Illegals are working at that San Antonio plant Its a joke please
I wouldn't say you are an idiot. But what would you say to someone that is pulling almost 3 times the recommended trailer weight of a truck? I am not saying the truck can't do it, obviously it can. But does it make sense?

A Tundra is a 1/2 ton gas truck. It does what it is intended to well. I would put it up against any Silverado 1500, F150, or Ram 1500 any day. I would still take a Cummins Ram over it though.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:11 PM

Accidentally posted twice.

Last edited by nirion; 10-08-2007 at 01:14 PM. Reason: my internet was going slow
Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM

all we have here are helix yotas and they rule i would love to ship one home and drive it around the **** things never break as for my dodge its a great truck but do i have any illusions it will out last a yota nope never happen i had a r22 yota 2 cylinders dead and still drove it back and forth to work for a year before i sold it to my mexican brothers who put 500 bucks in it and the thing is still going dodge i love my truck but cant even get the ac right the only reason i bought a dodge was the cummins put the cummins in a yota and you would have the best selling truck in history hands down.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Muted User

Sure you do....

You want to here somthing funny. We sometimes haul steel to and from Toyota in Georgetown Ky. Want to guess where alot of it comes from? AK Steel, or Worthington Steel. The stuff that doesn't meet quaility control gets shipped back to Dayton Ohio (and probably sold to GM). Sorry to let the facts get in the way of your opinion.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
The stuff that doesn't meet quaility control gets shipped back to Dayton Ohio (and probably sold to GM). Sorry to let the facts get in the way of your opinion.
Hmmm, you say "facts" but you use the word "probably", which is it?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mcmopar
So basically you are telling us that you walk?
Before I own a jap truck, yes.

BTW, last I heard the Big 3 is not in competition with a Mexican auto manufacturer.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 PM

well to be honest the big three is not in comp with anyone thats why they are near bankrupt

Quick Reply: Drove a Toyota Tacoma Today