Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

driveway - concrete or asphalt

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driveway - concrete or asphalt

I have finished the garage and on to the next project...the driveway. Basic size is 50' x 25' (approx. 1250 sq.ft.). I will not get it finished before winter so I am looking at my best options to get me through winter and them put the final driveway in next spring. So my big question is do I plan for ashpalt or concrete.

Option #1:
I am thinking that if I choose concrete I can grade it out now and lay #57 for a good base and get me through winter with a gravel driveway. Then in the spring I can form it up, put in rebar and mesh and pour fiber reinforced concrete. At least this way I can do most of the work myself.

Option #2:
grade it out now, lay gravel, say crush/run. Get through winter, then next spring have the paving crew remove the gravel driveway then lay new gravel and asphalt it. One company did mention that if I lay a good base of 21-a then they can asphalt over that.

I am getting an estimate this week for asphalt, but the pouring season is done so it will be spring before anything gets done. Currently concrete with fiber mesh is $118 cu/yd. So I can guess the cost there. Also the asphalt is $2000 min even for the smallest job. What do you guys think?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 AM

I just got my driveway re-done this year and went from concrete to asphalt. Here was my logic...

1. Asphalt was a bit cheaper... 3 inches over 6' inches of new gravel..

2. I live in MI and have always had an issue with ice on my concrete driveway... I see my neighbors with blacktop drives melting better than my concrete drive.. I am hoping the black will draw more heat.

3. I will eventually goof it up and patching it is pretty easy. I have had to learn it is softer than concrete eg. plywood under the floor jack..

I would think you should be able to put down a gravel base that would be suitable to pave over in the spring...

When they did mine, I had a guy pull out the old concrete and 5" of sand underneath... There was no gravel underneath my concrete drive, just looked like a beach...

The paving company brought in 6" of gravel, compacted it and had us drive on it for a few weeks... Was a crushed stone with dust so it packed tight...

Then they laid in a base 1.5" on asphalt and had us drive on it for another week or so, then applied the finish 1.5"s...

I have been very happy so far. Yes I signed up for the every two year seal coating club, but just another aspect of home maintenance..

My $.02 worth,

bryan
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I paved my drive way. If I was to do it again I think I would go with concrete. Concrete is tougher and easier to clean.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 AM

I am in the same boat as you are. I just finished my garage also. I think i am going to go with concrete in the spring and pour sections of it, a bit at a time on my own. it would be much cheaper. I don't think blacktop will hold up as well as concrete. Atleast where i live. But, the advantages of blacktop are that it flexes a little with the frost and it gathers solar heat so snow will melt off easier.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:34 AM

Another aspect to look at is taxes. Around here they base some of the tax on the amount of concrete on the property. Alot of people around here with long driveways go with asphalt just for that reason.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Say just remember that Asphalt is not near as strong. My dad's boss paved his drive way and didn't think about the trash truck. Needless to say, his drive is all broken up asphalt now instead of a solid path. I worked at a shop that did asphalt clear up to the edge of the shop bays, really stunk becuase now there's so many pits and holes from people not placing a piece of plywood down before they jacked up a car outside for just a minor tire repair while the oil is draining on the other car in the bay. I'd go concrete, IMO. It's just a lot tougher and lasts a lot longer
Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can do most of it yourself for concrete, then you answered your own question.Concrete is the superior product but the cost sometimes outweighs the benefit. You'll have about $3000 in materials for a 5" concrete driveway that will last forever,almost maintenance free. You can't say that about asphalt.If you lived closer I'd help you do it. And you would have to go with concrete!!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 PM

Great replies, keep em' coming.
I am heavily leaning toward concrete just because I am more familiar with the process and after framing and prepping for the garage floor...I have more control over the outcome.

I talked to my buddy that does bobcat work for me and he said he would prep the driveway and suggeseted to lay in crush or run through the winter. I figure with all the driving over that until spring, it would definetly be packed and ready for whatever I choose.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Youre thinkin right.. concrete's the way to go.

Even if after doing a chunk yourself concrete still costs more, youll recoup it in less maintenance fees.

Laying on ashpalt to work on your car during a hot summer day? Thatll ruin some clothes in no time.

Asphalt typically chips off around the edges... not sure if you would mind the little chunks of it in your yard/garden on the side.

Asphalt also smells pretty bad for awhile after they finish.. (or maybe its just the roads here?? pee eww)
Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 PM
REALLY old dog

Talking

Dont Know If You Can Lay Concreat Over Crushed Concreat Or Ont But That Stuff Is Great Put It Down Driv Over It Until Its Packed Almost Like Having Concreate Drive, And A Lot Cheaper !
Claude
Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone around here has concrete.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Concrete. Went asphalt here about 6 years ago and its already got holes, crackes, dimples, trenches for the camper, etc... The oil stains are messy and difficult to clean up yada yada yada. Lay down some crusher run with lime dust or whatever it is they use. It will pack TIGHT. If prepped properly you will never have issues with a concrete driveway like you will an asphalt driveway. You'll NEVER have to worry about what you can or can't park on it, etc...Perhaps you don't have a camper now but some years down the road you may pick up a large camper and ask yourself "gee, where am i gonna park this?"

Another option is just lat down some larger stone for the winter, and put the crusher run down in the spring. Level it and tamp it, frame it, and be done. It's really not as much work as most think.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 PM

Concrete all the way, I have asphalt at the store where I park my trailer and it is not doing well.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:20 PM

My vote would be concrete, I hate my asphalt driveway, lots of dimples from the jack, have to seal coat it too often. I'd prefer concrete if I ever do it over.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Personally, I would say Concrete, but I also live in a state where they tax the living bejesus out of you for Concrete.......So I chose gravel!

Quick Reply: driveway - concrete or asphalt