Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Driver's lisence after movin to new state

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's lisence after movin to new state

I recently moved to Newport News, VA from Ohio (near Toledo). My birthday is comin up on Apr 9th, and I got paperwork in the mail to renew my truck and trailer tags, which I can mail in. I then realized that my lisence is also expiring this year, and that has to be done in person. So I considered getting my VA license, but don't want my truck registered here yet (inspections, property tax, higher lisence fees). Anyone know if you can have a d.l. and register your vehicles in 2 different states? Also, to get a resident fishing lisence here, you need to have a VA d.l., or ID card. So I'm wonderin if I can keep my Ohio d.l. and get a VA ID card to save myself some money on huniting and fishing lisences this year.

Oh, and I was reading on line, and it says you have to get your driver's lisence within 30 days of moving into the state, anyone know why this would be? And how they would even know howl ong you've been here...I've been here 2 months, and my dad's been here over a year and doesn't have a VA d.l.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my experience with CO, NM and AZ, I could register vehicles with an out of state DL. WI req'd me to get a WI DL before registration.
None of these states would allow you to get in state hunting tags without an in state DL, but I got a CO and NM fishing licence without having a in state DL. Had to show proof of residency thru utility bills or veh reg, etc.
I'm pretty sure you could work it without registering your veh in the new state for an extra year.
All depends on the story you can come up with when you get pulled over by the 5-0. In my case, I've moved states 8-9 times in the last 14 years, so I've got stuff all over the place. I've pretty much quit getting a new DL unless I need one (expiration or in state hunting). Insurance co won't give me a change of address until policy is up each time, so that typically lags too.
License plates I keep the cheapeat state for reg fees as long as I can.
Only time I've been hasseled was in WY in my company truck. WY tags, NM company sticker on the door, NE insurance and WI license, and that guy was just a Edit!
Just keep your story straight, like "I'm living here during the week, still have my tax home back there, had to get a new DL, and got it here because I can't go back there during the week due to work. Plates are from my tax home, wife just re-upped the tags there.............I'm confused, you tell me where I live!"
Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Virginia considers itself a Commonwealth not a State and believe me because of that they do things a bit different than other States.

They do not like to play games regarding Drivers Licenses and places of residence, the kind of stuff you get away with elsewhere may not work in VA because they love to charge you Personal Property taxes on your vehicles.

I am not going to offer any advice on your situation, to break the law is your decision and not mine Good luck if you choose to try it, I have seen people get away with it and I have seen a few dig awful deep in their wallet when they get caught.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow Grit dog that sounds like fun when trying to explain. LOL.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you want to be legal or do you mind playing around. If you are like me and want to stay legall I would reg, and get the instate DL.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Virginia considers itself a Commonwealth not a State and believe me because of that they do things a bit different than other States.

They do not like to play games regarding Drivers Licenses and places of residence, the kind of stuff you get away with elsewhere may not work in VA because they love to charge you Personal Property taxes on your vehicles.

I am not going to offer any advice on your situation, to break the law is your decision and not mine Good luck if you choose to try it, I have seen people get away with it and I have seen a few dig awful deep in their wallet when they get caught.
They also ban radar detectors which violates federal law and our right to use.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Not sure how Virginia is, but most states you can register a vehicle without getting a new title. Do that if you can. Otherwise they may charge sales tax on it a second time. I learned the hard way after the fact. I applied for a new LA title and paid sales tax a second time. Then when I moved back to Illinois and asked for a new title they wanted to charge me sales tax again. I was able to produce my sales receipt from when I bought the vehicle in IL 6 years prior. They finally accepted that and let me just pay a smaller fee. I could have kept my Illinois title and just registered and got plates in Louisiana. I don't move that often, so I try to stay legal. I think I had 6 months before I had to change my DL. I wanted to change my plates by then. I realized by then that the popo looked a lot closer at you if you where out of state.

Last edited by Iron Mike; 03-22-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-22-2010, 05:23 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick02Ram
I recently moved to Newport News, VA from Ohio (near Toledo). My birthday is comin up on Apr 9th, and I got paperwork in the mail to renew my truck and trailer tags, which I can mail in. I then realized that my lisence is also expiring this year, and that has to be done in person. So I considered getting my VA license, but don't want my truck registered here yet (inspections, property tax, higher lisence fees). Anyone know if you can have a d.l. and register your vehicles in 2 different states? Also, to get a resident fishing lisence here, you need to have a VA d.l., or ID card. So I'm wonderin if I can keep my Ohio d.l. and get a VA ID card to save myself some money on huniting and fishing lisences this year.

Oh, and I was reading on line, and it says you have to get your driver's lisence within 30 days of moving into the state, anyone know why this would be? And how they would even know howl ong you've been here...I've been here 2 months, and my dad's been here over a year and doesn't have a VA d.l.
They will know when you get stopped and they start looking you up, and then you should get your wallet ready to empty out because it'll happen. Especially in VA. If you want to save yourself a huge hassle, get it done now and don't play around, because as Lary said, they won't play with you.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by 15 Digger
They also ban radar detectors which violates federal law and our right to use.
Which federal law would that be exactly?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Administrator
Which federal law would that be exactly?
The right to monitor the air waves including the radar band.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
DTR Founder

Be more specific. Got a statute on that? I surely don't see it in the Constitution anywhere.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it is right next to the one that says I have to pay some morons Drs bills.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick02Ram

In Indiana, you have 60 days to get your Indiana Drivers License and license plates. You can usually get by without them but all it takes is one State Trooper who notices you for several months. Plus, add in automatic plate recognition systems and you're really pushing your luck. Several guys at work hjave run into that.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not really. You can have a radar detector, you just can't have it as a mobile device (in your car).A lot of states won't let you have a mobile receiver that picks up police and emergency frequwncies unless you have a permit or letter from the police or fire chief for each frequency. Scanners at home are just fine. Put one in your car and you will get to explain why you have a burglary tool with you.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:06 PM

...Yeah I've noticed Virginia definitely does things their own way. And yes, they love to charge for everything. I personally would like to stay legal, I've pulled some stuff before, and have gotten caught, because I have no luck. My tags expired a couple years ago and I kept driving, well, as luck would have it, a cop pulled me over and said "well I wouldnt have even noticed they were expired except for that animated deer on your hitch ball"

So basically, what you guys are saying, is that I am illegally driving now, because I am living here and registered to drive in another state? That's kinda messed up, say I moved here in May, a month after renewing my license in Ohio, I would have to get a new lisence a month later? ....Gotta love the government, what a PITA

Quick Reply: Driver's lisence after movin to new state