Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

downloading music legally

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ph4tty
It can be 'legal' here too if you use news groups and bit torrents
I would stay away from bit torrent, they have wacked a couple of bit torrent users lately. The easiest way to make it "Legal " is to get a nice wireless network card and a good antenna and mount it on your roof or on your apt balconey and hunt for one of your neighbors with a open wifi network and there ya go .

Thats how I get mobile internet, I have a 2.4ghz antenna mounted threw the roof of my 4runner and a hi-power wifi card. I just load on netstumbler and find some internet access

I have one friend I helped convert a old DSS dish for wifi use and he gets free internet from his 3rd floor apt from the car dealership accross the freeway (they have free wifi in the waiting area for customers)
Old 05-10-2006, 10:33 AM
JKM

Where can one pick up an antenna as such? My laptop is already setup for wireless, so i don't think i need a card?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I have an objection to ITUnes, it only works with IPods.
yes, this is why I still haven't gone to ipod. nice thing about .wma is pretty much anything but an ipod will play it and AFAIK it's a lot more complicated to modify/lessen the quality of the music(than an .mp3)

I've got pretty good incentives to stay here in the states and pay a little $ for some music...seriously, before everyone had burners and high speed we all bought the cd's outright; downloading at 99 cents/$9 is still way cheaper.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by TheFog
I would stay away from bit torrent, they have wacked a couple of bit torrent users lately. The easiest way to make it "Legal " is to get a nice wireless network card and a good antenna and mount it on your roof or on your apt balconey and hunt for one of your neighbors with a open wifi network and there ya go .
I thought the bit torrents would slide by unnoticed =\
I wonder if they'll go after irc next