Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Downloading Music from the internet

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downloading Music from the internet

Hi all,<br><br>Got a question,does anyone know if it is ilegal to download music from the internet?<br>A few of my friend do it and I have heard it is ilegal,if not I would like to get a few oldies<br><br>Thanks
Old 07-22-2003, 11:57 PM

Re:Downloading Music from the internet

I download from Kazaa all the time. I have never done anything ilegal before :<br>DM01<br>
Old 07-23-2003, 12:26 AM

Glad to hear it I will get some music now<br><br>Thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 06:24 AM

Hmm, this sounds like the &quot;copying the 03 manual&quot; thread. Unless the music file is public domain (which are few and far between), you are violating copyright laws. It's akin to shoplifting; you're taking something that is for sale by the rightful owner. If an individual goes into a store and gets caught putting a CD in his jacket, he's prosecuted and everyone understands that. But for some reason, folks don't make the connection with downloading music. You can purchase a CD, rip the tracks to mp3, and copy the files to an approved device set forth in the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 (AHRA), and have immunity from suit. (BTW, a CD is not an approved device) It's when you start giving away CD's or tapes to others that you step over the line. The Recording Industry Association of America (the RIAA) claims to be presently perusing sites like Kazaa, and WinMx and logging the users that have a large libraries of music available for download. They plan to subpoena the ISP to reveal the user's name and will then sue the individual for damages. By the way, I guess you could say a landmark case recently passed thru the courts with Verizon and several users. Next in the RIAA's sights are the music newsgroups which still are basically open and unthreatened. Remember your download is not anonymous. You're leaving tracks wherever you go.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:58 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I understand it, unless you are downloading from a site that requires you to PAY for the download, then it is illegal. I recently heard on the news that they are cracking down on both sites and people who are downloading music for free. I wouldn't do it.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:34 AM

I think the record companies would make tons more money if they would sell songs individually on a website. I would pay a dollar or two to download a song I like; instead of paying $14.50 for a CD with one good song and the remainder being crap.<br><br>Are there any sites like that?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:36 AM

Check this link out (from CNN): Music.
As was said before, the RIAA is going after not just the file sharing sites (Kazaa etc.) but the individual user. They are getting the user's id from their ISP by subpoenaing the ISPs.

Old 07-23-2003, 08:40 AM

I would pay a dollar or two to download a song I like
me4osu,
Try here: iTunes.
I know it is an Apple link but I believe you can still download in a format that will play on a pc. Cost is .99c
Click the &quot;Music Store&quot; link.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:31 AM

[quote author=me4osu link=board=10;threadid=17421;start=0#163089 date=1058967253]<br>I think the record companies would make tons more money if they would sell songs individually on a website. I would pay a dollar or two to download a song I like; instead of paying $14.50 for a CD with one good song and the remainder being crap.[/quote]<br><br>Interesting. I usually buy the CD of a singer I like or of a song that I like and end up growing to really like the rest of the songs on there too. Just because I haven't heard them on the radio yet doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=10;threadid=17421;start=0#163087 date=1058966829]<br>[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=17421;start=0#163081 date=1058965091]<br>As I understand it, unless you are downloading from a site that requires you to PAY for the download, then it is illegal. I recently heard on the news that they are cracking down on both sites and people who are downloading music for free. I wouldn't do it. <br>[/quote]<br>This is true, and they're not being nice about it by any means...<br>[/quote]<br><br>&lt;rant&gt;<br>The term for this is &quot;Corporate Greed.&quot; While artists certainly deserve to be compensated for their work, the record companies engage in all manner of anti-competitive practices designed to increase their profits at the expense of the consumer. A few years ago, when Best Buy first came into the Kansas City area market, they sold nearly every CD for $9.99. Why did they stop doing that, and saving all of us some money? Because the record companies starting withholding marketing money from any retailer that didn't charge the minimum price that the record companies set for CDs. They pulled the same dirty trick on retailers that dealt in both new and used CDs. If a retailer wanted to sell new CDs, they'd get no marketing money if they also sold used CDs. If there was any sense in the world at all, they would be charged with restraint of trade and racketeering, instead of being given carte blanche to go after people trading a few MP3 copies of songs. MP3s aren't exact copies of the songs, anyway. They use &quot;lossy&quot; compression, and it's easy to tell when you listen to them. If you want to hear the songs correctly, you have to buy the CD no matter how much it costs or how many crappy songs it has on it.<br>&lt;/rant&gt;<br>
Old 07-23-2003, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might point out that my comment in a previous post about MP3s not being exact copies is meant to be a judgement of their audio fidelity, not a legal argument. If you swap files, get sued, use that line in court and lose, I accept no responsibility. ;D
Old 07-23-2003, 10:44 AM

[quote author=jfpointer link=board=10;threadid=17421;start=0#163119 date=1058971014]<br>.........If you want to hear the songs correctly, you have to buy the CD no matter how much it costs or how many crappy songs it has on it.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Vinyl...you know....records are really the best media IMO for listening to music &quot;correctly&quot;, but CD's are so convenient, and so are mp3's for casual listening. I recently picked up for a song (no pun) a once very expensive turntable so I can play my long abandoned, but imaculate vinyl from the 60's, and 70's. The difference is amazing; so pure and warm. But, I digress from the subject...sorry.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:26 AM

Isn't vinyl that stuff that goes on your kitchen floor? :P ;D
Old 07-23-2003, 11:27 AM

Isn't vinyl that stuff that goes on your kitchen floor?
<br><br>I thought it was the seat covering on the Ram ST trim package?

Quick Reply: Downloading Music from the internet