Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dog won't stay home

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Justwannabeme and the others. Our dog (of 14 years) was too smart and curious for his own good. He always came back when called but that wasn’t good enough. Electric fence was the only way we could get him to stay when we were not watching him. Never had to turn it on again after the second time. In this day and age, if you have a dog bigger than a Maltese the liability issues are enormous. Even if the dog didn’t nip somebody when its loose, if somebody says it did you can have some real problems. Just my opinion but now days, I would rather be cruel, with a little shock, than take chances of losing the dog and getting sued.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:47 AM

If you want,try reading "Smarter than you think" by Paul Loeb.

We do not have a fence and we don't use a leash with our dog.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick Campbell
If you want,try reading "Smarter than you think" by Paul Loeb.

We do not have a fence and we don't use a leash with our dog.
I second that recommendation. Saved my dog.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by brainfade
Oh, he's plenty smart, he was just busy watching the pretty Lab next door...We've all done it.

It sounds like Chipmunk is on my wavelength. Is there a book or something that shows how to do this? I mean, I've got him trained for other things, I just can't figure out how to get this message across.

On second thought... Maybe he's training me!
caesar millan has several dvd's out, and he understands how dogs think and how to change their behavior better than anyone i've ever seen- he is the dog whisperer, after all!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by brainfade
Oh, he's plenty smart

On second thought... Maybe he's training me!
DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by rip 112
If you do an electric fence, go with bigger wire. My Akitas (RIP) would bite the wire and then ground it out when they snapped through it.

My friend just got one of these for her stubborn Boxer...works really good so far...

http://www.petsafe.net/catalog/cart....ail&p=82&xc=28
X2. I have a friend that is a dealer for PetSafe products and that "super shock" collar or as they call it stubborn dog collar will wake them up. He had a small dog that was smart also. He used a regular collar for years and the dog figured out that if he laid close to the fence and let the collar beep the battery would die easily. However those stubborn dog collars use 9v batteries unlike the watch battery the standard collar uses so it lasts forever. Even with the large collar the dog would still try his luck until he cranked the fence up, which just widens the distance between the wire and the shock. All the way up the dog has to deal with the shock for almost 20ft, even stupid dogs won't do that more than once.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clayten
Call the dog whisperer (Ceasar Millan) (spelling). That guy is incredible with dogs.
He trains the owners, not really the dogs. .

The owner/dog needs properly trained. Setting up more obstacles for him to figure out will only cause you more frustration in the end. Try the reading listed above. If that dosent work, call Ceasar.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
X2. I have a friend that is a dealer for PetSafe products and that "super shock" collar or as they call it stubborn dog collar will wake them up. He had a small dog that was smart also. He used a regular collar for years and the dog figured out that if he laid close to the fence and let the collar beep the battery would die easily. However those stubborn dog collars use 9v batteries unlike the watch battery the standard collar uses so it lasts forever. Even with the large collar the dog would still try his luck until he cranked the fence up, which just widens the distance between the wire and the shock. All the way up the dog has to deal with the shock for almost 20ft, even stupid dogs won't do that more than once.
Sorry, but we had something similar to that, and once he figured out if he put up with the pain, freedom wasnt that far away, it never worked after that, as he would run through it. Problem he had was coming back.... as he didnt want to go through the pain to come home, just to leave.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"caesar millan has several dvd's out, and he understands how dogs think"

I'd be willing to bet that for every sucess they guy has on tv, there's two or three failures that don't get shown.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I second that recommendation. Saved my dog.
wanna, did you read the newer book "Heart of the matter" I did not yet. I didn't know anyone really read either of these books.

My dog is not perfect, but she is like 90% perfect. But I know her faults. The biggest problem lies when other owners have their uncontrolled dogs off leash. If a dog comes running along and starts jumping on my dog before I have a chance to tell her to stay with me then they might go running off chasing each other. NO GOOD.

Otherwise we can walk off leash within a foot of a barking dog behind an electrical fence and she will stay with me. Or walk right past another dog on a leash and she is fine.

I am going to take her to the beach (which she is scared of!) for the first time since reading the book so that should be interesting.

We would still like a fence because our neighbors dog (who isn't trained!!!) comes onto our property and bites me and my dog. Last time it broke skin and I was bleeding. Pretty upset about that!

Anyway to the original poster, try picking up this book "Smarter than you think" or "Heart of the Matter" by Paul Loeb at the library and give it a try. It is at least worth a try.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 AM

Thanks everybody. The books sounds like just what we need. He's a good dog, I just have to figure out how to talk his language.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 AM

I've got your dog's sister. "Invisible fence" shock collar didn't work; she'd howl and yip as she climbed over our 6-ft chain link fence.
Final solution? I bought some 18" tip-ins at homey depot. They fasten to the top of each post and have 3grooves for wire or what not. I put them up and fastened on some rabbit fence. She went for it a couple of times- she'd climb up, nudge the bottom of the mesh, then jump back down. Problem solved.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electric wire worked for me. Had a Springer spaniel and a Brittany spaniel that could squirm through my field fence. I put up the wire and it only took one shock and they never tried again.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The invisible fence works for my four, even the 140 pound Rottie. The 110 pound Rottie hasn't had her collar on for over a year now. She knows exactly where the line is. Best investment I've made pet wise in a lot of years.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick Campbell
wanna, did you read the newer book "Heart of the matter" I did not yet. I didn't know anyone really read either of these books.
No, I haven't read another dog training book since because I haven't felt the need. I'm pretty happy with my dog. She was a found dog (abused and totally untrained basket case), so she still has some "issues" related to that and I guess she always will. I was about ready to give up on her as a lost cause before I found "Smarter Than You Think."

Quick Reply: Dog won't stay home