Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Do you think the engine is safe & reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think the engine is safe & reliable?

Here's the scoop. A VW Bug, couple yrs old, was driven thru flood waters a few weeks ago. It's back in NJ. The word came back that the motor was knocking real loud. They had it towed to the dealer, who said it needed a new motor ... $6k.

The dealer changed all the fluids & the car was picked up from the dealer & driven a few miles away. The guy who picked it up said there is only a slight ticking sound.

We're guessing that the water in the motor was causing all the noise. Question, would you go pick it up & drive it cross country? What would you have checked out, if anything?

thanks
Old 08-10-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The big danger when an engine ingests water is hydraulic lock - if that happens, the engine probably has a cracked piston or bent connecting rod. Is it safe and reliable - who knows what's inside without looking at it.

JM2CW.....

Rusty
Old 08-10-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bugs had problems with the cylinder studs comming loose and causing a funky rattle or knock on acceleration. wonder if it hydrolocked a little and pulled some studs loose, that might be the tickin. I think you can retorque the heads/cyls. then recheck the valves for clearances. I would change the oil again at least. otta check thee trans oil also. Well now that I think, I forgot they started making bugs again. If its air cooled then ok to what I said .If its a new one, forget it. BTY if its air cooled 6k outa get you one heck of a motor. Should be a tire burnin wheelstander 2ltr or so. I sank a landcruiser once for 2 days it was under. its still runnin.