Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Do you drink?
Yes
74.48%
No
25.52%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drink?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm drinking my Long Island as I type
Old 02-04-2008, 11:35 PM

I am against alcohol except for medical purposes.

That said, I have drank twice in 6 years. Both were to forget a female counterpart. Its my personal tradition.

Other than those two occasions, its not my cup of tea, and ill just take tea instead!!
Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 AM

from 16 to about 39 i could empty any glass with anything. no big deal to drink short case of brew on a sat nite. long case was going to hurt. just gave it up . no big deal just said time for a change and i don't miss it. did have a beer at xmax at a farm shop party first one last year.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
I am against alcohol except for medical purposes.

That said, I have drank twice in 6 years. Both were to forget a female counterpart. Its my personal tradition.

Other than those two occasions, its not my cup of tea, and ill just take tea instead!!
Thats pretty much my stance. Have you tried Absinth?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:18 AM

I drank on a professional basis until I was 21. After that, it wasn't interesting anymore. Somehow I got through those years without killing myself or anyone else. God must love me.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 AM

I'm a social type drinker. Don't drink much if any when I'm home. Might have a couple watching a ball game or something. Usually stick with beer, Guinness or Beamish, but have been know to slug down some Capt. and Coke. I try not to drink too much because I end up saying stupid stuff and not remembering it.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 AM

I've never had any alcohol. I guess I just never saw any good reason to drink it. I also see the bad things it has done to people I know.

I have one friend who drinks a lot all the time. He is a great guy when not drinking, but any time I am with him socially he is usually drunk. I bought a motorhome for long trips with my friends and he got totally drunk on the first trip as soon as we hit the road.

I know at least one guy who has pretty much screwed up his whole life due to drinking.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:32 PM

I started drinking at 18... essentially when I first stepped foot on a college campus. I drank little at first, then moderately and into full blown alcoholism by the time I graduated. I continued this for the next 5 years; all told a solid 9 years of drinking 6 of which I would've considered myself a professional alcoholic. It would be nothing for me to think that a 12 pack was a slow night regardless of what I had to do the next day... Through it all I graduated from college with a degree in Civil Engineering, maintained full-time employment as a structural engineer and pretty much carried on a normal appearing life. I was on a dark, dark path with only one conclusion. That is until I was arrested, spent a few hours in jail and served out a punishment for first offense DUI. Of the countless times I drove drunk, some much worse than the night I was arrested, I never was involved in a traffic accident. Now, I've been sober for a little over 18 months... 6 times more sobriety than I had at any time when I was actively drinking. I've been through rehab and am active in AA. A real blessing in disguise. I've never felt as good as I do right now. Obviously I feel very fortunate to be in this position. All it really ended up costing me was a few dollars which I've more than made up for by being sober.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool I finally realized,,,,,,

I had to find something else to do if I was going to have any shot at all in making it to my 40th birthday.

Age 15 to 39 = a bunch of good times,,,, becoming so good at it, that there was no such thing as a hangover,,,,,,, and there were some bad times,,,,, and a bunch of times that the Man upstairs lived up to the old saying,,, "God looks out for drunks and fools". The 3rd DUI that left me with a jaw broke in three places, compression fracture of the neck and various other twisted and torn joints was the final straw. All three DUIs were on my Harleys. The first one tore up a 79 Sporty, the second one didn't tear anything up, but ended with being stopped by a helicopter (don't ask,,,, very expensive and 30 days in jail,,,,, but man had I done a good job on rebuilding that 79 Sporty,,,) and the last one tore up my pristine 77 Electra Glide that I bought from my Dad. The wife picked me up from an overnight stay in the jail and I told her on the way to the hospital,,,,,, I'm DONE. That was 10 years ago and I haven't looked back. I'm not real proud of some aspects of my past, but I don't hide them either. It happened,,,, it is part of who I am.

So for those of you that like to drink,,, know your limits and don't count on the Man upstairs being able to watch you all the time. I find nothing wrong with the consumption of alcohol or even getting drunk as long as you can do it without hurting yourself or someone else (physically or emotionally). That's the hard part. It's hard to do much of anything in life without affecting others like those that depend on you or care about you.

And just for the record, I know there are folks out there that drink and it has never caused a problem and never will. ........
......... Here's to you!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to love beer, now I drink maybe 10-12 a year and never more than 2 at a time. An age thing? I don't know, but I just lost my taste for it on a regular basis.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:54 PM

uh haha i drink to much
Old 02-07-2008, 02:56 PM

Yup, it used to be Jack & Coke, but ever since I started working for Pepsi I dont drink coke at all or its products.
So now its Canadian Mist with 7-up on the rocks
Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM

My favorite is George Dickel Old No.8 but it hasn't been available in awhile. In the mean time, I get by with Wild Turkey, usually a shot or two at night. I still drink beer but not very often.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by billmac
My favorite is George Dickel Old No.8 but it hasn't been available in awhile. In the mean time, I get by with Wild Turkey, usually a shot or two at night. I still drink beer but not very often.
We buy it around here all the time as a family joke (LOTS of bad nights with it).

Why is it unavailable?
Old 02-07-2008, 05:32 PM

originally posted by xtoyz17
We buy it around here all the time as a family joke (LOTS of bad nights with it).

Why is it unavailable?
According to what I read on the internet, the Dickel distillery had a glut of Old No.8 and decided to get rid of that before making anymore. This occurred about 4+ years ago. This particular brand is aged for 5 years, so the current batch won't be available until August 2008 according to the e-mail I received from the distillery two weeks ago. Sad part of it is, the company is owned by a British company and has been for awhile. Maybe that's why someone screwed up in their long term planning.

Quick Reply: Do you drink?