Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

do NOT let your kids get a GED - any Recruiters here?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
do NOT let your kids get a GED - any Recruiters here?

military or civilian recruiters, please comment if i am off base here....

my kid tried to get into:
AF - they won't take a GED.
Navy - may take a GED if they are low on Diploma'd recruits
Army - takes anything breathing.

talked about it at work,and my immediate boss said
"if you can't make it through the lowest common denominator in American Society, a FREE High School education, why would you work any harder for me?"

and now, my boss at work (we are sub-contractors for Gub'mint) said the Govt Contract Specificatoins came out, and we cannot have anyone on contract for the Govt that does not have a HS diploma, and have some credentials for their specialty, be it military training or ITT or something.

my kid quit HS because she transferred between 11th / 12th and would have had to go to school one whole calendar year for one credit due differences in schools. so even though she has a good "reason" that don't change the facts.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
How old is she now? My suggestion would be to suck it up and finish that last year of school in order to get what she wants. I understand that it might suck, but in the long run, it's going to help her out a lot, especially if she wants to go to college. I'm not sure why they're not taking the GED to be honest with you. Back in my day, when joining the military, they would take them no problem. I had some guys in my basic that were GED. Some of the Air Traffic Controllers I worked with back then were GED and they did just as well as anyone else.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
she goes in the Army 10 days from now.

it's all about quotas.

the AF is trying to lose 40,000 troops or so this year.

the Army is XXX thousand short. i can't GOOGLE a number.

the Navy is the best branch of the service now, Marines are too close to front for parents, Army probably is too, AF won't take you, and Navy is out on a ship, fairly far away

so the Navy can be picky.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ha ha, around here, Marines are first choice for the boys coming out of high school. Rangers are second, if they want a good education they go into the AF and not many at all go into the navy. I woulda stuck it out, high school is the best time of your life, unless you went to college.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stupid people are not allowed to die for their country is pretty much what i got told, and they pretty much consider anybody with a GED or no diploma stupid. this is not me talking, i am quoting several service men ive talked too. i almost failed high school, i got by with the skin of my teeth, but scored extremely high on my ASVAB, i have great mechanical skills, fabricate, weld all that kind of stuff, sadly they dont really look at your real skills, just the ones on paper, Navy and Army wanted me and i would of got a really nice signing bonus, mind you this was right after the war started........but i told them no cause i would never pass the physical and i had too many injuries from previous stupid stuff ive done. i would of got out just last month if i would of signed for 4 years and i would now just be starting college. and that would of been another 2 1/2 years of my life before i could of did anything, so i would of been almost 25 before i could of even begun my life.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Chapter President

I have a GED and was in the USCG.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:58 PM

When I was recruiting we were able to take a small percentage of GED's but that was only if the stations in our area were hitting rock bottom. When the bosses closed the door on taking them we had to get them enrolled in alternative schools that offered a diploma upon completion.

I strongly suggest that folks in that situation look into the Job Corps. They offer good job training in many different fields as well as helping the kids get their GED's. HOWEVER .... if the kids finish their job training and gain their certificate, they can receive a certified diploma that will work for military requirements as well.

I do agree that if ya can't stick it out to finish high school ... there's a good chance ya might not stick it out with a JAY-OH-BEE !! (That isn't always the case and I am aware of that).

As for the "stupid people" not being able to die for their country statement .... hmmmm 20 years in the service and that is the first time I ever heard anything like that. In fact, if I ever heard one of my troops talking smack like that about one of their shipmates, they would've been taking a long walk off a short pier !! We were ALL volunteers ... education has nothing to do with honor and integrity.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 08-19-2007, 07:25 PM

I was told the same thing by the Marine Corps when I went to join '97. Actually I was told by the recruiter that with a GED and no college credits I was a waste of his time. He told me he wouldnt even call me back unless I got 15 credits and a whole string of other things he needed to see. I didnt take it as a no, I took it as a challenge. So I did it and got in and had no problem.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 PM

Let me see if i have this straight. Your daughter can not suck it up and finish one single year of school but she can commit to a total lifestyle change and dedicate 3-4 years to Army?

Dont' get me wrong, I love the military and I am a Desert Storm vet but It is my opinion that life will continually be an uphill battle without a HS diploma. Heck, it is getting to the point where it is an uphill battle without a college degree anymore.
If she were my child i would sit her down and tell her if she is serious about the military she should prove it and take an extra year to get her HS diploma. This would open MANY doors to her that are as of now closed. ( I.e. the Airforce)

This is just my opinion, I guess I am a little jaded because i work at a federal Pen and we also have a minimum security camp that takes care of ground work here. We have about 100 inmates in the camp and There aren't many college grads in here. there are however a TON of guys either with their GED or trying to get their GED.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:38 PM
DTR Mom

Wink son just getting to MEPS tomorrow , matter of fact..

great info from SHORTROUND ( thank you!!) for army jobs for son. did high on asvab but tomorrow's score get you work.

mad at recruiter to tell my son to leave arrest on record for youth offender (18 is up to the judge, this judge works with me). still pushing to change that for future security clearance....

son graduated high school, went to college for 8 months and dropped out, lost credits and a lot of my money

National guard army says he can have military intelligence, small arms repair for the avaiation unit here (they repair chinooks and apaches). they NEED wheeled vehicle mechanics and told son he can have a civilian job there as well.... maybe I am still careful of recruiters (army MP 1978) but that is a weird assortment of jobs....

by the way- best firefighters , police officers and such I have worked with started by GED. ask a top GM mechanic how they started and see what you pay for service now...hehehehe

best of luck to your daughter 04CTD- I really would take it before the school board/guidance depart. to get the one credit in personally....
I am available and will ride the harley down there to look scary mean at them when they are at home.....intimidation? noooooooooo....

heidi in NY
Old 08-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Chapter President

My enlistment was pre 9/11. Also they took me because my GED scores were higher than you average graduating SR.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by LOGAN
i would of got out just last month if i would of signed for 4 years and i would now just be starting college. and that would of been another 2 1/2 years of my life before i could of did anything, so i would of been almost 25 before i could of even begun my life.
You are totally correct with this statement. This is called life and earning your own way. 25 is not old. I went into the Navy right out of high school on a 4 year hitch and got caught up in the Gulf War. I then struggled with odd jobs to put myself through college part time till I got my degree. Zero help from my parents. I then spent another 2 years looking for a career ( not just a job) I was 30 yrs. old before I landed the Gov't job that I will retire from. Without a military HONORABLE discharge and a college degree I would have never even been offered an interview.
BUT, now I have the log home in the mountains I always wanted, The CTD I always wanted and I can afford to continually race motorcyles whenever i want. I can retire at age 50 and still have 20+ years of good health (hopefully) to enjoy life with my wife.
Without th 6-8 years of hard work after high school I would probably be struggling to get by for the rest of my life and work till the day I die just because i didn't put the effort in when i was in my 20's...

Don't mean to preach but I can't stress enough how important this is in the whole scope of life.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Chapter President

BTW, to all who have and continue to serve, thank you all.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by s cesnick
Let me see if i have this straight. Your daughter can not suck it up and finish one single year of school but she can commit to a total lifestyle change and dedicate 3-4 years to Army?
Exactly. If you can't or are unwilling to finish high school, that tells a recruiter volumes about your character and self-dicipline.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:25 PM

I agree that a hs diploma and/or a college degree are definately a plus in life. With that said, I dropped out of hs after the 11th grade and worked hard at learning a trade. I now make close to 6 figures a year owning my own business(brick contractor). My wife became pregnant her junior year and barely finished high school....now she makes close to 80k a year as a mortgage loan officer with no college. I know these are exceptions to the rule, but where theres a will...theres a way!

Quick Reply: do NOT let your kids get a GED - any Recruiters here?