Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dixie Chicks on the radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dixie chicks on the radio

The Dixie Chicks do not have a new song on the radio. The song you are refering to is by Gretchen Wilson, Redneck Woman. Oh yeah...your Cummins is bad!

Edited by Moderator
Old 04-05-2004, 09:35 PM

saw a thing on vh1 the other day , they're still the top selling female act in the US ....... sales can't have been hurt that bad ........... in fact people were buying they're cd's so they could burn em

that said , I really don't give a rats butt what they said ......... I don't listen to em before they said it , and I don't listen to em now ............not my kind of music

oohhh godsmack's on the radio, got to go
Old 04-05-2004, 11:31 PM

I don't care for the dixie chicks and I like Toby Kieth but I can't listen to him cause he drives a furd.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I saw Merle Haggard in Spokane WA--great show. He said something about 'so now we're in another war' and went on to say he was still proud to be an American and all that, so I was wondering just where he was headed. But then he said there was nothing good about any war except the soldiers, sailors, etc.
Then he says, 'I think we should give John Ashcroft a big
hand...(pause)...right in the mouth!' Went on to say, 'the
way things are going I'll probably be thrown in jail
tomorrow for saying that, so I hope ya'll will bail me out.'

Merle also said, "Friends and conservatives", he began, then he made a joke about George Bush's colonoscopy, and the search for Osama bin Laden. "He's up there somewhere," Merle said somewhat cryptically, and the crowd wasn't quite sure how to take it. Then he said off-handedly, without enthusiasm, "Looks like we're in another war," and sang The Fighting Side of Me.

At another concert last year, he was quoted as saying, "Look at the past 3 years we went downhill, and if people don't realize it, they don't have their damned eyes on ... In 1960, when I came out of prison as an ex-convict, I had more freedom under parolee supervision than there's available to an average citizen in America right now... God almighty, what have we done to each other?"

How come Merle hasn't been 'Dixie Chicked' ?
Old 04-06-2004, 08:10 AM

That's what I asked before. I heard him on the radio talking about basically the same thing with Bush, his colonoscopy, and bin laden being "up there". It struck me as odd, and the DJ's were backtracking trying to pull the conversation back to safety. Then they played "That's the News" his war protest song. The only thing I can think of is because Merle operates below the radar of most press these days. If the media grabbed this like the dixie chick story, i'm sure there would merle cd burnings too. Just goes to show that most people in this country only know what the media tells them, and only believe how the media tells them to.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:49 PM

to erics76:
All this coming from a guy with 5" exhaust? lol...i am just kidding man, i couldnt help myself. I agree with you.

I try my best not to judge others for their actions. What people fail to realize is this: How would you feel if everything you ever did(or said) was exposed to the media, and they raked you over the coals? It would suck, wouldnt it?

Judge not, unless you want to be judged yourself.

how bout them Astros? lol
Old 04-06-2004, 01:36 PM

My exhaust is music to my ears, much like the music of the dixie chicks . Palmetto, you said what i've been trying to, but better. Everybody has said something that they later wished they hadn't. Nobody but Natlie Maines has had to suffer for over a year for it though. Like them or not, but you shouldn't hate anybody for a simple sentence said in passing.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:53 PM

Really the fans will decide whether they are sucsessful or not and that's the way it should be. Buy their records and go to concerts , support radio ads where they are played and you show that support. I myself will choose not to support them for whatever reason I choose not to. As is their right to speak as a free american I too will excesize my right to select entertainment that I feel is suitable. It's capatalism at it's finest.

BTW it is right that everyone has a right to a mitake but when you make a living (far above what the average is ) pleasing the public then you expose yourself to a great deal of scruitiny.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Dixie Chicks have hopefully learned a very simple lesson. Actions Have Consequences.

Do they have a right to say what they think? Yes, although just because one can do something doesn't always mean he/she should do something.

Do I have a right not to listen to them? Yes, although it's not a problem here in Houston since the stations I listen to don't play them now.

Isn't it great to live in a country where we can both exercise our rights!

Rusty
Old 04-06-2004, 04:09 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by matthopp
I agree completely, but I also have a right not to listen to them b/c I disagree with them and that is what I choose to do. The few times I do hear them, I choose to channel surf.
what He said!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think these music/hollywood types have the advantage when voicing their opinions on certain subjects, they have the media to pass it along to all of us. The average joe doesn't not have this access, so maybe the only way to voice our disapproval is by actions. The one that seems to work best is when you close the old pocket book.

I would have had more respect for the Chicks if they would have made that statement in the US.

Maybe they will join Johnny Depp and move to France. He does live there, I heard it from the media.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:51 PM

The irony of it all is, as I understand, the Chicks are anti-war. I remember a few years ago these same girls had a hit, made good U.S. money on a song titled something like EARL HAD TO DIE. How two girls killed a jerk that was a wifebeater. I guess it is okay for violence to be equalized by violence if it suits you. Unfortunately, I listen to country music and must admit that their songs are pretty good. What they said hurt many of us mainly because GW Bush (at that time) was a large symbol of the US. So many Americans took it personal, maybe too personal. Let's not forget the FUTK shirt worn by the "CHICK" that was directed toward Toby Keith, who portrays a real American patriot through his music. Just my TWO cents.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:44 PM

Yeah, Toby Keith has definately sucked every drop out of the whole deal. Lets not forget that they have shared words back and forth, not just her attacking him. Toby's made millions being the "good guy", good old boy from Oklahoma, and a "real American patriot". He's found an easy way to make lots of $$. Last I heard about the little fued, he said he should pay her to keep it going. Probably not a bad idea, because most of his fame and money has come from it. Oh, and HottDieselChick is right. I heard it today, and the DJ said it was Gretchen Wilson.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:35 AM

Toby Keith is a self serving money hungry entertainer. A song a month "for the Troops". BS, a song a month for Toby's bank account.

Where is it ordained that because the good Lord gave you the ability to play an intrument, act or sing or whatever other talent you have, that he also blessed you with superior intellect or deeper insight than the rest of us.

Get over it, entertainers are for entertaining. They are not spokespeople for your country or mine or anybody elses.

They are just paid more than their due share of attention by those dim enough to think that their small minded, not necessarily informed opinions, are actually important.

So let 'em sing, dance, play whatever, but pay them no mind when it comes to real issues. Now let's all play and listen to what we want to, and accept the entertainers pontifications for what they are: Nothing, and certainly not
worth losing any sleep over.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greatwhite,

Yeah boy! add Toby Keith's name to the list of money hungry entertainers. As far as I know he didn't even want to release Angry American and was only performing the song in concert. It was the troops/fans who asked to have the song released. He had some concerns that people would say, he was cashing in on something horrible.

If he made a lot of money off that song, than good for him.

He was popular way before that song was released, it wasn't till the release of that song that people outside of country music took notice of Toby Keith.

Songs from Toby Keiths and Lee Greenwood and many others will always be connected to events in our lifes. If listening to these songs give our troops a boost of moral, I for one am glad they have been made, despite how much the entertainers bank account may have grown.

Quick Reply: Dixie Chicks on the radio