Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Diverticulitis

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
The good, the bad, adthe ugly.

Thanks guys.
Had my bore scope yesterday. Between the prior day purge, lab work, and the bore scope I'm pretty beat up. They opted not to take a peek at the outside.
The ugly: a big 10mm polyp obstructing my rectum was removed.
The bad: 4 diverticulitis next to each other in a small section. This significantly weakens the colon wall in that spot. And the infection was coming back.
The good: With the polyp removed, there is less "back pressure" that would stress the damaged area. The diverticulitis looked liked it was healing. So the doctor put me back on antibiotics to help fight the infection. If surgery becomes necessary, it would be less sever because only a small section would have to be removed. I go back in 3 weeks for a followup CAT scan.
Sorry for the graphic details, but I don't want you to go through what I'm going through, or worse. Take care of yourself and be more conscious of what you eat.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
Thanks guys.
Had my bore scope yesterday. Between the prior day purge, lab work, and the bore scope I'm pretty beat up. They opted not to take a peek at the outside.
The ugly: a big 10mm polyp obstructing my rectum was removed.
The bad: 4 diverticulitis next to each other in a small section. This significantly weakens the colon wall in that spot. And the infection was coming back.
The good: With the polyp removed, there is less "back pressure" that would stress the damaged area. The diverticulitis looked liked it was healing. So the doctor put me back on antibiotics to help fight the infection. If surgery becomes necessary, it would be less sever because only a small section would have to be removed. I go back in 3 weeks for a followup CAT scan.
Sorry for the graphic details, but I don't want you to go through what I'm going through, or worse. Take care of yourself and be more conscious of what you eat.
The anti-biotics will terminate everything in your gut. Often the first one back after the treatment is C-diff. Toxins produced by that critter cause something called Pseudomembranous colitis. Talk about weakening the pipe.

Prevent the above said trouble with kefir (Lifeway Kefir - Wal Mart and others) and for real results Raw Probiotics 5-Day Max Care by Garden of Life, augmented with Saccharomyces Boulardii, which both creates an environment hostile to C-diff, and also produces 2 antidotes to the 2 toxins produced by C-diff that tear up the intestine lining. It's available as Florastor at the drug store (expensive) or Now brand Saccharomyces Boulardii (inexpensive). Mexican travelers use it as a prophylactic against Montezuma's Revenge.

Probiotic maintenance and fiber should promote healing of your malady and prevent recurrence. I went around that bush for 35 years till I finally figured it out. I use Garden of Life Raw Probiotics for Men, and S. Boulardii every few days.

Here is an interesting scientific study on Kefir and these issues. When I found this, I was getting desperate. I decided to fast for a few days, then go with the Kefir. That knocked it down to "managable." Addition of the S. Boulardii. completely solved the problem. I share notes with Dr. Bakken from time to time.

Resolution of Recurrent Clostridium difficile-associated Diarrhea Using Staggered Antibiotic Withdrawal and Kefir By Johan S. Bakken, M. D. , Ph. D.

Hope it helps
Old 05-16-2014, 05:08 PM

Wife is ahead of the game on that subject. Because she went through it herself not long ago. Unfortunately, the doctor she got couldn't find his butt with both hands. This one has left me no doubt he knows what he is doing.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:17 PM

Wife is ahead of the game on that subject. Because she went through it herself not long ago. Unfortunately, the doctor she got couldn't find his butt with both hands. This one has left me no doubt he knows what he is doing.
I had a good doctor once. He got shunned by his peers because he was hard on the profit line. You see, you're not supposed to believe what moma says she sees and describes over the phone, and call in a $12 prescription. You're supposed to insist on a $90 office call, $200 in tests, and then write the $12 prescription.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Doctors are being sued left and right by this litigious society which has forced them to backup their diagnosis with too many tests and the mandatory office visit.
I wish we'd adopt England's system where if you sue someone and fail you pay all the legal costs for both parties.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Luck cougar!
My BIL is still in the hospital from the same thing, he was septic
when he got to the hospital, then a coma, lung collapsed, wouldn't
breath on his own, it wasn't looking good, then he woke up, started breathing
on his own and is slowly getting better.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 6cylinders
Good Luck cougar!
My BIL is still in the hospital from the same thing, he was septic
when he got to the hospital, then a coma, lung collapsed, wouldn't
breath on his own, it wasn't looking good, then he woke up, started breathing
on his own and is slowly getting better.
I keep getting told my diet and life style are radical. It ain't near as radical as what your BIL is going through.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:33 AM

Hospital put me through the ringers yesterday. I had radioactive stuff pumped into me from everywhere. Intravenous, down the throat, and up the you know what. The worst part is they couldn't find a vane, so I got pokes and bruises all over my arms. Today I have a follow up with the doctor to see how I'm doing.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hospital put me through the ringers yesterday. I had radioactive stuff pumped into me from everywhere. Intravenous, down the throat, and up the you know what. The worst part is they couldn't find a vane, so I got pokes and bruises all over my arms. Today I have a follow up with the doctor to see how I'm doing.
Man that sucks!......hang in there!
Old 06-07-2014, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the support DTR friends. Had the follow up with the doc yesterday. Moderate to severe diverticulosis, but no detectible diverticulitis. FANTASTIC! A few other issues showed up in the CT scan, but he said for my age it's normal. So for the time being I'm doing all right.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:40 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cougar that is great new Keep getting better!

How are you doing on the food intake?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:33 AM

Well, here I go again. Had to go to the ER Tuesday morning. Same symptoms as last time. They pumped me full of antibiotics and pain killers then sent me home. At least they will be more comfortable with me here.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cougar, nothing but thoughts and prayers your way. My wife has dealt with the same issue for years. Not as severe as yours, but still I know what she went through.

Get well soon Buddy!
Old 02-19-2015, 10:38 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Best wishes and prayers from down south here, Cougar!

Get well soon, that 24 valve ain't gonna fix itself!! Ha ha.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:25 AM

Thanks.
Boss isn't very happy, but he can't argue with the paper work.