Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Diverticulitis

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Diverticulitis

What a pain. Just spent the last 5 days in the hospital, 2 in the ICU. If you don't know what it is, it's when your large intestinal wall weakens causing small holes that create external balloons on the outside. These balloons can get infected and rupture as in my case causing bowl leakage into the abdominal cavity.
I had 3 leakers and a massive infection. I had no pre symptoms which is very unusual. Monday morning I was fin, by Monday noon I was in trouble. They put me on antibiotics and constant monitoring. After a couple days my condition was improved enough to take me out of the ICU. On the 5th day they let me go home. Dr says I'm still not out of the woods yet and wants weekly follow ups for a while. This could have turned into something really bad. A colostomy at minimum, dead at worst.
In short, take care of yourself. Watch what you eat, lay off the spicy gassy stuff. And have regular inspections, including a borescope.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, buddy. Not fun. Glad this one came out good. No cabbage, no skins like apple skins, no hard nuts, no fruit with seeds like certain berries and some fruit with seeds - - it ain't fun it if hits. Glad you did good.
Bob
ps: now, behave. .....................
Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow Cougar, glad you are home, pay attention to the instructions the doc gives you.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:26 PM

Still not totally out of the wood yet, but the doctor says that if it comes back I would probably do just fine with a simpler removal of the bad section than total bypass.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bet a skin graft from Scotty's left LEGG around the weak section of bowel would be strong enough to allow you to eat spicy Mexican food 7 days a week.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Prayers sent from WV for a speedy and full recovery
Old 05-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this, buddy. My grandpa had it years ago, it affected him quite a bit for a long time. He's good now, just nothing with seeds in it (okra, tomatoes) or aspirin...

Get better!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
I bet a skin graft from Scotty's left LEGG around the weak section of bowel would be strong enough to allow you to eat spicy Mexican food 7 days a week.
I'm worried the doo would get caught in the hair and cause a plug. Painful enough pulling all the tape off my arms from the IV's.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Glad you are doing ok!

My Aunt had this a few years back and found out lettuce was the culprit! She's free of it now as long as she avoids lettuce...

Kurt
Old 05-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow, thats a close call.

Sure strange how some folks want to take such a serious thing and make light of it.
I cannot believe Sean would take this opportunity to make light of my LEGGS!

On a more serious note, I perforated my bowel via my appendix that had somehow attached itself to the bowel, then leaked into the bowel, then eventually perforated and leaked into my body cavity. I think its safe to say I kind of know what you went thru.

14 days post op I was in the hospital with packing up you know where and this orange IV antibiotic that burned the vein each dose and I could feel its path to my heart. When they started using the veins in my LEGGS, I could feel it burn and tingle for a long ways.

I truly hope you get past this.

If you need a picture of my LEGGS let me know.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:23 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You old guys spring a lot of leaks.

Cougar, that sure moved quickly. I do hope the best recovery for you
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
You old guys spring a lot of leaks.

You sound like my wife.....

Hope you get better soon, Cougar. Not something to mess with.....

On the bright side, if you have a few extra pounds to lose, I guess not eating is a good way of doing so....
Old 05-04-2014, 08:38 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol uh oh. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Old 05-04-2014, 11:27 AM

Thanks folks. Doc said I was very lucky. I guess all I needed was a little help to knock down the infection so my gut could "self seal". After being starved for a few days, I can't eat much without getting full fast. One thing I have to force myself to do is drink more water. Something I have never been big on doing.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
Thanks folks. Doc said I was very lucky. I guess all I needed was a little help to knock down the infection so my gut could "self seal". After being starved for a few days, I can't eat much without getting full fast. One thing I have to force myself to do is drink more water. Something I have never been big on doing.
I meant to put that in my first post. 60 oz per day, no exceptions. I have a 30 oz mug - - fill it when I get up, empty it by lunch, refill it at lunch, empty it just before supper. Doc was adamant about that routine.

Be good - - finish your bottle.

Bob