Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dissapointed with Sirius...have questions. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dissapointed with Sirius...have questions. (long)

Hi guys. This is our first experience with satellite radio, so not sure what to expect.
We bought a Sirius Sportster yesterday and hooked it up and activated it in the parking lot there so we could listen to it on the way home. At first, the reception was great. Anywhere we went in town while shopping we had signal. BUT, as soon as we left town it started hunting for a signal. On the 90 minute drive home, we did not have signal at least 30 minutes off and on. We did go through a few deep, narrow road cuts and I can understand loosing the signal there, but the rest of the drive was open sky. We are working in northern Arizona now, and the drive was from Page to Tuba City if anyone knows the area.
The guy that sold it to us said there are 3 satellites orbiting in a figure 8. When one leaves the area, the next one comes on line and we should not be more than 5 seconds without signal. Well, 5 seconds is a far cry from 15 minutes without a signal.
We had the antenna on the dash under the windshield and it had a clear view of the sky. We bought the unit because it is easy to switch from truck to truck, so we do not want to permanently mount the antenna.

My question is: Is this typical or did we get a bad unit? Right now, we are ready to return it and get our money back. Would XM be any different or better?

Thanks for education this satellite newbie.

Steve
Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 PM

Try putting the antenna on the roof. most times they dont recieve on the dash.They really belong up there
Old 06-04-2006, 02:11 PM

Antennae has to be on roof...
Old 06-04-2006, 02:58 PM

Thanks guys. The salesman said it would work fine on the dash.
The antenna is a magnetic puck, so we will try it on the roof next outing. We want to be able to switch it from truck to truck, so don't want to get too involved in routing the cable. I think I will just run it through the door at a gentle angle so it doesn't kink and we should be OK.

Thanks again.....Steve
Old 06-04-2006, 03:06 PM

You can buy another antenna also
Old 06-04-2006, 03:09 PM

When I first bought mine I tried putting the antenna on the dash. IT NEVER WORKED!! Then I ran the antenna outside onto the roof, and it works perfectly. For some reason it needs to be on a metal surface from my experience.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get that bad boy on the roof... Mine's on the roof and I never EVER lose signal out in the open. Only time I lose it is under bridges/carports or in a garage!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:58 PM

If the receiver is on the dash and the satalite is behind you it can't see the satalite through the roof... Bet if you turned around and faced another directio it would have worked...

Mine works pretty good all the time except under bridges and one spot on the freeway where I pass under electrical lines..

Gerry
Old 06-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What they all said. My Dad lives in Illinois where it's flat and there are no trees and his works fine on the dash. If you live where there are hills or trees, it's gotta be on the roof.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have mine on the dash (centered at the base of the windshield) and it works great. Only drops going under over passes and sometimes under heavy tree cover. Even works sitting in the garage at the house.

MikeyB
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

That's what they told my parents and they have XM and have the same problem. Speaking of XM, I need to fix mine, thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. Will give it a try on the roof.

Steve
Old 06-05-2006, 03:26 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I am curious if you loss reception on north turns. I have several GPS's some for flying and some for driving. North turns bother them for a few minutes But all the guys are right I have my antenna on the dash , no good has to be on the roof and there are no problems after the antena goes out on the roof where it belongs.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
That's what they told my parents and they have XM and have the same problem. Speaking of XM, I need to fix mine, thanks for the reminder.
The best way to fix your xm is too replace it with a sirius unit.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 PM

My sirius is built in rather than yours going through a radio tuner but my antenna is drilled through the roof about 10 inches infront of the rear brake light. i dont think i have ever lost signal on even the tightest roads.

Quick Reply: Dissapointed with Sirius...have questions. (long)