Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Discipline is not by fear – but by faith.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Discipline is not by fear – but by faith.

Watching the DI’s push their kids around Parris Island this weekend, realized that these recruits would not follow these men until they have faith in those men to lead them safely through battle.

Today is Clint Eastwood’s birthday, 70 something.

If you remember Hamburger Hill, Clint took over a platoon, and beat one of the guys up first thing. They still did not have respect for his discipline, until through his training, he demonstrated his knowledge of a skill set that would be needed for them to survive in combat.

You can’t MAKE people do what you want – they have to know that you are trying to get them to do something that is in their best interest, be it financial, safety of ship, personal safety, or whatever.

It is hard to get people to have faith in you in the public sector, and that is why it is hard to get blind obedience to follow rules and regulations.

Folks need to be assured and have faith in you, that you have their best interests in mind.

People who work for you are a valuable commodity, and they support your income, because your livelihood is based the products they produce.

Sorry leadership gets you sorry followers, and that gets sorry products.

Good leadership is hard to learn, hard to replicate, and highly desirable

in the military: I have to have faith in you to save my life - and I follow your commands in the heat of battle, not out of fear of your rank, but out of assurance that your orders are for the good of me/the troop/the platoon/the ship.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:47 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good observations ! well worded too
Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some supervisors really need to read this, Thanks
Old 05-31-2007, 10:59 AM

Exact same rules we use to train mules and horses. Especially mules. Works well for both 4 legged and 2 legged animals.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best thing that I ever learned about leading people came from some advice that an old man gave me and I will never forget it.
He said “Son people are like a log chain. You can pick up one end and start walking and I will guaranty that when you get where you are going that chain will be right behind you. But if you try to push that chain all that you will do is wear yourself out and the chain will only wad up.”
The moral was that in order to lead people you must be in front. So far it has worked for me.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 AM

Well, it reminds me of Jim Jones, who in 1978 in Guyana, South Africa, was credited with convincing 900 people to choose death. Of course it was also reported some were injected with cyanide.... But they all parted with their way of life in the United States and followed him.

What was the process that went on in their minds?

I don't think dicipline by faith is a correct statement. Faith is something unseen.

One follows a leader, often times through adversity, because of trust. The leader has demonstrated by past actions the qualities the followers need/ want/require for a suitable outcome.

Like mcoleman refers to: Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult. Simple process to train anything with a brain.

An effective leader must have good communication skills.

General McArthur said to his communications officer, "Don't ever issue a communique that can be understood."

And you think...that doesn't make sense!

Well, the rest of the quote is: "Always issue a communique that can not be MISUNDERSTOOD."
Old 06-01-2007, 01:54 AM

I was fortunate enough to hear a retired General speak once and he said something that has stuck with for many years. “Discipline is that trait of character that renders punishment or correction unnecessary” It’s funny the things you remember through the years. I have quoted it many times to many young men in my charge.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
May work with thinking adults, but tell that to your kid. I beleve in reason first and punishment second.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are referring to "Heartbreak Ridge" rather than "Hamburger Hill" -- Clint Eastwood wasn't in "Hamburger Hill."

Back to the program...
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by annabelle
May work with thinking adults, but tell that to your kid. I beleve in reason first and punishment second.
yeah. we are working with the Teens at church, if their parents don't make them mind, they won't mind for you.

what ARE people thinking when thier toddlers won't mind?
that they will turn into great kids on thier own, without mommy teaching them anything?

Originally Posted by zulusafari
I think you are referring to "Heartbreak Ridge" rather than "Hamburger Hill" -- Clint Eastwood wasn't in "Hamburger Hill."

Back to the program...
check my profile - i claim "old-timerz" dizeaze....
Old 06-01-2007, 09:57 AM

Well, you can't tell kids about discipline and expect a change. You have to teach it.

We have to have a relationship with them, be consistent, and model the behavior we are trying to instill in them. Parenting without relationship = rebellion. Once again, make the right thing easy-and the wrong thing difficult. (that's why we got our butt wacked, or set in the corner, or went to our room without desert...)

O4ctd, for your teen training check out this study book: Who Am I When Nobody's Looking, by Group out of Loveland, Co. (64 pages)

46% of teenangers say they have stolen somethng from a store,

70% say they have cheated on an exam,

92% say they have lied to a parent.

So how do we teach honesty and integrity, do we HAVE TO live it?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:21 AM
DTR Mom

Talking 04, I truly hope that good stuff will shine through..

set your sights on the horizon (goal), be prepared and issue clear expectations;
think communication first , what will solve the problem second.

I FIRMLY believe "Parenting without relationship (trust)= rebellion"
so thank you for putting that out there D2....wish my husband could get that through his filter.

Groups of guys ( I never worked with girls) 12 and up really respond to the personal challenge WITHIN a group. Boyscout rope courses are an excellent teaching tool. lot of fun too, IF you have the skill to keep out of it and let the fellas think for themselves. I had a portable sketch pad so they could draw out the ideas, lots of participation with NO WRONG answers gave a boost to every kid's confidence. confident kids get more benefit from any class or sport.

Not to be rude; ever wonder why public assistance/ lazy single parent kids seem to be bolder? without supervision and support they got the fight or flee stuff from instinct. they will survive, sometimes over the edge to criminality.
But given an opportunity and recognition, they soar!

been a state prison guard, then a judge. clear expectations, availability for questions, and individual positive recognition with referrals; keeps them from coming BACK to court.

You CAN'T control other people, only YOUR reactions to them.

Good luck out there fellas and chaperones!! Faith and Blessing to you , my Navy friend!

Heidi in NY
Old 06-01-2007, 05:16 PM

Madhat!!!!

MADHAT! We need you on this one. Semper Fi
Old 06-02-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by carpenterje
MADHAT! We need you on this one. Semper Fi
He's busy with a couple dozen young men, intilling the values, morals and "intestinal fortitude" that their momma's and daddies didn't !!

Good post 04 ...

Heidi ... you hit a key point about how the "public assistance/ lazy single parent kids seem to be bolder". I see that first hand when some of my kids friends who are in that very situation come over. When you can talk to a 12 year old boy and it feels like you are talking to a 30 year old man because they have had to live an adults life already ... there is something wrong with that picture ! (The kids can sure work on a small engine though ).

While I was gone, the wife took in a few of the local troubled teens who had exhausted most of their other options (on parole, pregnant, abandoned ... whatever) and while they responded pretty well to a little discipline, guidance and consistancy from my wife, they soon slipped back into their old ways and ended up back where they came from (after helping themselves to a few of our things ).

And the way todays welfare system is designed, it makes it so hard for someone to do right and not abuse the system. No wonder it gets passed down generation to generation. Makes ya just want to give up and crawl into your cave sometimes.

Sorry for the rant ... back to the original post.
PISTOL
Old 06-02-2007, 08:44 AM

This is so true.. I am a DI at a large West coast Police Academy...

I see the new recruits come in.

Some are very timid and try and blend into the crowd and not be seen...
Some come in and feel that they are better than the rest and DI's
and the majority come in not knowing what to expect and mold very well into the academy structure and life style...

I love to watch all of them grow into fine officers.. During that time we work on pulling the timid ones out into leaders, tone the fighters into leaders, and give slight direction to those that have a clue coming in.

In the beginning they follow you because they don't want to be separated, then if we do our jobs right they follow us because they realize that we are there to save their lives. Once they realize this (and I don't think it is a conscious realization) the academy becomes a much smoother and more pleasant place for both staff and recruits. they all try and please us and each other, work harder to learn, and look forward to graduation.

I have many that come back and tell me how much they hated me in the beginning while i was in their face and they were on the ground doing push ups. The worst starters are usually the most thankful in the end, and the best leaders in the future.

But it is a delicate game all the way.. you have to push just hard enough and when they are pushed beyond on a bad day something has to be done to pull them back up... it is done by scheduling good, fun classes after bad days and make it an interesting place to be after they all feel like they never want to come back..

I guess I could go on an on but the moral is lead from the front, and put yourself in their place.. It is easy for us to yell and demand but you only get followers that way we need leaders..!!..