Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Disagreements

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:16 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Disagreements

I disagree with you! Or maybe you disagree with me? So what? If we all thought the same can you imagine what a boring world this would be? Occasionally I could be wrong in my opinions or beliefs, but that does not give you the right to belittle me, cuss me out or be vitriolic. For those of you that like to use swear words in attempting to tear someone apart just because they don’t agree with you, do you realize that you are making a public statement that you do not have sufficient knowledge of your own language to present a coherent argument? Generally it shows poor education and low class.
So where am I going with this? I am saying that we as a group should be able to disagree agreeably. Disagreement can be good as we can all learn, but when the disagreement turns into mudslinging and causes threads to be shut down, then shame on you! Our common theme is trucks and diesel engines, but with a membership of thousands and increasing daily, it is sometimes nice to discuss other subjects of common interest such as religion or politics, controversial as they may be.
I would be interested in what you DTR’s would consider to be the ground rules for any controversial subject posted, whether it be in the “other” or a technical thread. Let me start the ball rolling:
- Show respect for the opinion of others, even if you totally disagree with them.
- If you have to argue, then argue by laying out your view(s) in a logical sequence so that everyone can understand where you are coming from. If you get upset, you lose!
- Personal attacks must never be posted. If the subject upsets you that much then either do not read that thread anymore or exchange PM’s.
- Be a gentleman in everything you say, even it you disagree.
- Check your spelling and grammar. Words like “break” and “brake”, “stutter” and “shudder” and many, many more are all too often used incorrectly which changes the entire meaning of what that person is trying to say. Use the dictionary before hitting ‘send’.
- Be part of the solution and do not just criticize and be part of the problem.
- There is lots more, but I will leave space to hear from you. Wadda yuh thunk eh?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think your an idiot and should be banned. Just kidding Stan. I agree. I enjoy reading yall's political debates (I don't like discussing politics since I know nothing on the subject) cause they can sometimes be funny. But when they turn violent and vulgar and down right insulting, that's when the fun stops. But certain subjects bring out the worst in people. Politics and religion being the top two with tranny's and oil's being the next. I wish that we could all get along even though we might disagree on certain things but sometimes we let our emotions get involved and that's when things take a turn for the worse.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:30 PM

Hey, its a clean family forum, I always thought that everyones opinion counted.
I have seen a few wild opinions, and wild comments. But I always try to see the positive in people, and their thoughts.
BTW, I dont really read the "moron" opinions, that is uncool to me to put somebody completely down in there thoughts.
I have been wrong many times, and i dont like it when someone treats me like crud for being wrong.
So thanks for the most part of us all getting along, I along with many others have learned a great deal from peoples opinions.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with the "Agree to disagree" philosophy. Even those DTR members whom I have had major disagreements (politically) are welcome to my house any time. They also have been invited to stop by and have a cold one anytime!

I do however have to agree with the management on the banning of political threads as the management must spend more time referreeing them rather than taking care of business. This is not a political forum and should not be treated as such.

Rick
Old 03-29-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
I disagree with you! Or maybe you disagree with me? So what? If we all thought the same can you imagine what a boring world this would be? Occasionally I could be wrong in my opinions or beliefs, but that does not give you the right to belittle me, cuss me out or be vitriolic. For those of you that like to use swear words in attempting to tear someone apart just because they don’t agree with you, do you realize that you are making a public statement that you do not have sufficient knowledge of your own language to present a coherent argument? Generally it shows poor education and low class.
So where am I going with this? I am saying that we as a group should be able to disagree agreeably. Disagreement can be good as we can all learn, but when the disagreement turns into mudslinging and causes threads to be shut down, then shame on you! Our common theme is trucks and diesel engines, but with a membership of thousands and increasing daily, it is sometimes nice to discuss other subjects of interest such as religion or politics, controversial as they may be.
I would be interested in what you DTR’s would consider to be the ground rules for any controversial subject posted, whether it be in the “other” or a technical thread. Let me start the ball rolling:
- Show respect for the opinion of others, even if you totally disagree with them.
- If you have to argue, then argue by laying out your view(s) in a logical sequence so that everyone can understand where you are coming from. If you get upset, you lose!
responsaptitude- Personal attacks must never be posted. If the subject upsets you that much then either do not read that thread anymore or exchange PM’s.
- Be a gentleman in everything you say, even it you disagree.
- Check your spelling and grammar. Words like “break” and “brake”, “stutter” and “shudder” and many, many more are all too often used incorrectly which changes the entire meaning of what that person is trying to say. Use the dictionary before hitting ‘send’.
- Be part of the solution and do not just criticize and be part of the problem.
- There is lots more, but I will leave space to hear from you. Wadda yuh thunk eh?

You bucking for admin?? j/k
I believe people don't respect others, their property, or for that matter even public property. It will not get better any time soon unless we cap the population, have people take aptitiute tests before they breed, and have them take responsiblilty for their actions. But it ain't gonna ever happen. People are selfish. This world is doomed. My wife and I are part of the solution (to me anyway) Lots of volunteer work, no kids. My little contribution to this pitiful planet.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Stan..... What got under your saddle pardner? Yikes!

A word on compromise....... If you see compromise as an automatic way of settle disputes then what you would have done is let the terrorists only fly one plane into one building at the WTC? Be cafefull when compromising your position, you may be making a deal with the devil.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:22 AM

Gieco, you make a good point but arguments among friends on DTR is hardly fighting terrorism. I do agree with you just not on this example, I wouldn't want to lose a friend just cause one of them mad me mad and I snapped back. JMO
Stan thankyou for starting this thread on post ettiquete(sp?) I think people do need to use a little more judgement and take a little time to review and repair what they have said.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:30 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Stan, I agree with you 100% on this one... the post I put up a few weeks ago complaining about the political threads was spurred by the lack of actual discussion in them and the "I'm right and your an idiot" attitude that was prevailing in them. Discussing ideas and beleifs is a GOOD thing over-all, hearing veiws different from our own give us the opportunity to reveiw our own beleifs and either confirm or change them. BUT only if it is an actual discussion. Once it becomes an exchange of insults it becomes as worthless and as offensive as used toilet paper......
I agree 100% with very FEW of my friends and we discuss the differences in our beliefs regularly, but it always remains discussion, not arguement...that is the key.

ANY FOOL CAN ARGUE....A WISE MAN CAN HOLD DISCOURSE.....
Old 03-29-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
You bucking for admin?? j/k
I believe people don't respect others, their property, or for that matter even public property. It will not get better any time soon unless we cap the population, have people take aptitiute tests before they breed, and have them take responsiblilty for their actions. But it ain't gonna ever happen. People are selfish. This world is doomed. My wife and I are part of the solution (to me anyway) Lots of volunteer work, no kids. My little contribution to this pitiful planet.
I agree with the aptitude test thing, but why not take it one step further, communism. The communist made their citizens take an aptitude test and if they did too good they were rocket scientists, if they did too poorly, infintry. J/k.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:07 AM

And if they did really, really well then you got an all expense paid trip to a beautiful and exotic gulag in Siberia. Intelligence, free thinking = a threat that must be delt with accordingly.
Joe
Old 03-29-2006, 10:19 AM

I some what agree, BUT this is a cummins forum not a political forum. I am not saying other things shouldnt be discussed but as you said the membership is growing fast and you have to expect some people to stir up trouble,it shouldnt happen but it does. In my opinion I think it is better this way because alot of the threads here were dealing with politics and I log on here to learn about my truck. I don't mean to upset anyone but that is my opinion.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Thanks for the answers so far. May I remind you that the topic is etiquette for posts. I am not asking for opinions on whether to post anything on politics etc. (If you don't like the theme of a post, DON'T READ IT!!! Others many enjoy it.) While this is primarily a Dodge/Cummins site, there are other subjects that are of interest to many readers.
To reiterate; What rules should the DTR members use for replying to 'contraversial' posts? (The site rules notwithstanding)
Old 03-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Banned

I think that everybody knows the "rules", the problem is that they don't apply them. Back in the 1800's, there were rules about topics of conversation for stagecoach rides. Some of the banned topics of conversation were religion and politics. The reason they were banned then is because they created problems within the coach. Not much has changed since then. A lot of these subjects are personal, people get very upset when confronted and challenged, lose it, and start trash-talking. I do not start any of these threads, nor will I, but I will respond, and I have been personaly attacked. I laugh when the author reverts to that, as I know I have won, because they have run out of rational things to say. I have, more than once, requested respect, not only to me, but to the subject and the thread, but emotion always overrules reason. When that happens the thread deteriorates until it gets locked. Until the emotion is controlled, unfortunatlely, the fur will fly, and the trash will continue. It is up to us.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Thanks for the answers so far. May I remind you that the topic is etiquette for posts. I am not asking for opinions on whether to post anything on politics etc. (If you don't like the theme of a post, DON'T READ IT!!! Others many enjoy it.) While this is primarily a Dodge/Cummins site, there are other subjects that are of interest to many readers.
To reiterate; What rules should the DTR members use for replying to 'contraversial' posts? (The site rules notwithstanding)
Do not post political threads. If a truck related thread turns into a conversation about some politics RELATED to the original topic, then fine. Other than that, we will not be initiating political related threads here.

Love it or leave it.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 PM

Concur whole-heartedly on the posting ettiquette.

When I read something on here that I don't agree with, I do the following two things ... first, I decide if it is something that I really care about wasting the few remaining brain cells I have left on explaining my position to everyone and then ... if it is, I walk downstairs, get a drink and a snack ... enjoy both fully while forming my thoughts in as logical a way as I can ... and then I allow myself to type it out with a calm, clear head. It is when we read something and then shotgun an answer back without thinking it through that we step on toes. There is a time and a place for dropping the hammer on someone else ... a friendly DTR discussion, online is NOT the place.

You may not agree with what I have to say ... and that is perfectly ok (God knows that I'm not 100% right all of the time ... purty durn close though), and I welcome your opinion and views to the contrary. We may not come to the same finish line but we know where each other stands and can still respect each others position and integrity.

It's all about tact .... tact is a way of telling someone to go to **** and making them actually look forward to the trip !!

Thanks for the good post Stan !!! Thought provoking as usual.

PISTOL