Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Digital Camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Digital Camera

Well, guys, after months of whimpering and sniveling that I was digitally camera challenged, "why even he's got a digital camera...." SWMBO has finally broken down and said that we ought to see about getting a decent digital camera and that I might show her how to use it so she can take photos of her artwork (rule #2, tie the need to something she can use it for... ). I know it's been mentioned in the past about various cameras and the pros and cons of each, but christmas has come and gone, there's bound to be new ones out there being used. What ones do you like? We're looking at around $600. 2-3 meg, good closeup capability, relatively easily to use (remember, she wants to use it too). I've seen the Fujifilm one, that looks interesting. Any comments both pro and con would be deeply appreciated. Here's your chance to brag about your stuff or say what you really think about your camera. Just bear in mind, this is a family oriented site.

~Dave
Old 01-23-2003, 07:46 AM

Re:Digital Camera

I picked up a Sony DSC-F707 in Nov last year. It's 5.24 Megapixel, does 15 second video clips w/ sound, has nightvision, you can screw on different lenses and filters, and a whole lot of other features that I don't even use! ;D Takes great pictures! I took some pics at the autoshow last weekend at 1280x960 -- you can see them at http://www.midtr.com/autoshow/autoshow.htm <br><br>I think that model is history already and has been replaced with a DSC-F717. I purchased it at http://www.infinity-micro.com (good prices!) for $636, and in December they had jacked the price up to $899. <br><br>It came with a 16MB memory stick and I swapped that out with a 128MB stick. That's about it for my camera. A guy here at work has a 3 Megapixel Sony that he got for about $499 that takes awesome pics as well!
Old 01-23-2003, 07:48 AM

Dave, I got the Fuji FinePix 3800 for my son and daughter-in-law this past Christmas. It's a great little camera! Easy to use. USB out to the PC. What sold me on it was its ability to either use the screen on the back or use the screen in the eyepiece. The latter is great to use on sunny days. I bought it online (I forget where) for $349. Don't forget a larger memory card, and NiMHi batteries and a quick charger.

Tom Hybiske
Old 01-23-2003, 07:56 AM

Dave,<br><br>I can't stand the auto-focus delay on my Sony. I miss way too many pictures because of it. I'm moving from the old SLR 35mm cameras to this digital thing and I miss controlling shutter speed, f-stop and focus. Whatever you get, make sure that you can turn off the automatic features if you want to control the camera manually. <br><br>Jean
Old 01-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the one that takes the 3.5 floppy because it was about the level for me to operate. Those now are like the 133 computers that I still have, way outdated. The ones we have here at work take a disc about the size of a quarter and hold more pictures than I can count. I still like mine though cause I can remove the floppy and put it in the drive and I got pics instantly with no cross connects, patch cables, crossovers, or other hooptedoos. Look around and see what you like best and go for it. You will not be sorry.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:00 AM

[quote author=Ladyjaine link=board=10;threadid=10008;start=0#95521 date=1043330179]<br>Dave,<br><br>I can't stand the auto-focus delay on my Sony. I miss way too many pictures because of it. I'm moving from the old SLR 35mm cameras to this digital thing and I miss controlling shutter speed, f-stop and focus. Whatever you get, make sure that you can turn off the automatic features if you want to control the camera manually. <br><br>Jean<br>[/quote]<br><br>I can turn off the auto focus and do it manually if I want too... I would probably miss more pics trying to do it manually...
Old 01-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Chapter President

I have the Sony Mavica...its old but what I like is no memory card is needed it uses a floppy disk and has great battery life<br><br>Being able to put the photos on a floppy has been a great saver of time...many times I've had to send photos of accidents to my company so I would just mail them the floppy disk...and uploading to your puter is ezer then with a memory card camera no need to hook the camera to the puter just pop the floppy in...justmy.02cents<br><br>Ebay is a good place to find used and new cameras
Old 01-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Administrator

That's what mine is Pappy, I couldn't remember. I got the 330 and the 550 battery with mine.<br>The only thing I don't like is the time it takes to record a pic. You can miss a lot of pics it trying to get some real quick (like JohnP doing one of his famous burnouts). Other than that, it is a great camera. All of the pics in my album were taken with it.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=dieseldude4x4 link=board=10;threadid=10008;start=0#95531 date=1043330906]<br>That's what mine is Pappy, I couldn't remember. I got the 330 and the 550 battery with mine.<br>The only thing I don't like is the time it takes to record a pic. You can miss a lot of pics it trying to get some real quick (like JohnP doing one of his famous burnouts). Other than that, it is a great camera. All of the pics in my album were taken with it.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I really like the video mode too lets ya do a 15 sec movie mine is the Mavica MVC-FD83 with MPEG MOVIE mode bought it new 4 years ago for $225.00
Old 01-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I bought the top of the line Epson camera, it has way more pixels and settings than I will ever need, plus it accepts different lenses. The photo's are incredible, so was the price tag.

Go to techbargains.com and look at what they are showing for camera deals, they show some good prices on them. Getting one with the display on the back can save you memory space as you can preview the pic and if you don't like it delete it freeing up the space for more photos.

Start a savings fund for ink cartridges and photo paper while you are at it, your Wife will love the things she will be able to do with that camera. Iron, on transfers of the little ones, cards and posters, even magnets you can stick on the fridge.

It has become my wifes hobby, and while I must have $4,000 invested so far and looking at the new 7 ink printer for another $800, it is the best money spent. I have the things I like to do for recreation, so if this gives my wife a place to focus and forget lifes daily troubles then why not?

If you get the one that does the short videos too,(mine does 45 sec mpeg) you can save them and play back on your PC. Even burn them to cd's to use later. Your wife will soon see that the projects she can enjoy with it are only limited to her imagination.

Both Compact flash and stick memory seem to work equally well, and can be found rather inexpensively on the net.
Above all get a good waterproof case for it that is big enough to hold everything, including a couple extra sets of rechargeable batteries. They pay for themselves quickly as these cameras can really eat up the batteries.

Enjoy!!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:23 AM

I usually recomend sticking with a company that makes cameras like Olympus or Cannon. only because they have better Optics, usually. I have an Olympus C3000 Zoom its rather old now but works great Olympus's newest is a little over 5 mega pixels and under the amount u want to spend. Kodak makes an excelent camera it always gets good right ups. Check CNET for a comparision they are very good. Good luck and happy shutter buggen.<br><br>Dan
Old 01-23-2003, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Top, we're not talking about one of those WV $9.95 plastic throw aways here (shoe box with cardboard shutter). These are serious cameras. ;D ;D<br>(looks around nervously for incoming)
Old 01-23-2003, 10:48 AM

What is wrong with a Poloroid Instamatic? <br>Easy to operate and you have instant pictures
Old 01-23-2003, 03:27 PM

Whatever you buy make sure it has lith.batt.<br>My first camera was an Olympus C2000 Zoom.<br>Graet pic`s but short batt. life :'( :'(<br>My latest camera is a Sony DSC S85 4.1 megpix.<br>Lithium batt gives a minimum 1 1/2 hours.<br>It takes great pic`s and has manual control features.<br>I paid 499.00 and love it.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:40 PM

Here`s a pic that has been reduced do to the web sites<br>200 kb limit.

Quick Reply: Digital Camera