Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dick Van Patten Dog Food?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick Van Patten Dog Food?

My German Shortaired Pointer puppy...well 1yr old has what seems to be a food alergy. I think to wheat and meal products. He was on Science Diet and then Iams. Had butt problems when on it. Something with **** glands impacting/infecting.....vet wanting me to put my finger up you know where to release the compaction...etc... No way! So I'm doing everything I can to find a dog food that works so I don't have to do what I stated a sentence or two earlier!!! Anyway, this all natural Dick Van Patten dog food was recomended by our local Vet. Crazy expensive. Seems to be doing wonders for our boys (dogs) as far as weight, energy, and just overall health..and **** gland issue. Both my Heelers and my Pointer all eat it. Thing is, the pointers poo smell from this dog food is terrible. Has like this sweet/sour stentch to it. The food is the Venison and Rice formula......I'm pretty sure. Also tried the Buffalo too. Well, his poo bout makes a guy dry heave when you walk by it. The Heelers have no smell. A few months ago, we went back to a different food and the smell went away. He got butt problems again......so back to the Dick Van Patten again. Smell is back. Called the Vet and told them. I think they think I'm crazy. So, to make a short story long, has anyone else tried this paticular food, and if so, does your dog have crazy terrible smelly poo? Any help with this wierd subject from ones who have tried it would be appreciated. Would like to know if the actual sour/sweet smell is an infection before I run him to the vet for another $300 bill. Thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 03:47 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Regarding the smelly poo. How long did you stick with the van patten brand. It is very likely that if it was a short time that your dogs body is being cleaned out. Smelly poo is not always an indication of a problem, but can be an indication of the return of beneficial bacteria within the digestive tract. It can also be an indication of incomplete digestion of the food, think colostomy bag (very bad smells due to incomplete digestion and presence of intestinal bacteria not retained in the digestive system).

There are also things to look for in the poo besides just the odor. Streaks, clumps, runny or hard. All can be indications of general digestive health. The same is true for humans. You can take a small sample to your vet to have him checked for worms or parasites. If he does have a parasite or a worm, it is possible that good food is allowing his body to fight it off and the smell is the dead or decaying organisms. It is also possible that the worm, parasite or poor digestive health is not allowing him to digest the good food completely causing a smell which is actually undigested food. Regular iams or SD just aren't as good and do not have the nutritional value so they digest more readily. Not always a good thing. If he does have a parasite, I highly recommend a product called Paranil Jr. It is for humans but we use it to worm our animals (cats and dogs) twice a year. We just put a few drops in their water and a few drops on their food. They actually like the taste. It is recommended by the manufacturer for animals and humans. Worming medicine from the vet is very similar to cancer drugs. They kill everything and are very hard on the digestive system of your loved one.

I know you were looking for those who had experience with this particular food, but you may want to have them tested for 'bugs' first to see if there is an underlying issue. If they were mine I would run the test below. It wont hurt, and certainly wont cost you $300 bones (har, har, har)

Here is a non invasive test. Give him/her a diet of cooked rice (cold) with a little cooked hamburger (cold), this is very, very easy to digest. Cook up a big batch and just store it in the fridge, don't drain the grease from the hamburger. To your rice burger, add paranil Jr. when you feed him/her. Also put a couple of drops in their drinking water. Slowly over the course of two or three weeks introduce the van patten feed while continuing the paranil Jr. This will get rid of any 'bugs' and allow the little guys digestive system to adapt to the new food and increased nutritional value.

If the problem persists, the little guy may have an underlying issue or it may be like broccoli or cucumbers with some folks, they just simply have a hard time digesting it. Nothing wrong, just the way their body works.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Call of the Wild, Buffalo Venison formula. No grains or fillers all meat. It even smells appetizing to me. (the food not their poop) My 1 yo mutt had awful problems with his bowels, a week on this and no more issues.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:51 AM

EGADS..you guys had me for a moment....I thought you were using Dick Van Patter FOR dog food!Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Feed him steaks.

Problem solved.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Or we could just feed him Chaikwa... That should hold him over for a little while at least.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Or we could just feed him Chaikwa... That should hold him over for a little while at least.
He isn't trying to euthanize his beloved pets

Quick sidetrack of a sidetrack .....

Two Farmers leaning on their boundary fence just shooting the bull and one Farmer tells the other one "That sure is a beautiful dog you got there...his coat is so soft and shiny..what do you feed him?"

Second Farmer replies "Turnip Greens"

First Farmer replies "Turnip Greens? No way will my dog eat Turnip Greens"

Second Farmer replies "Yep this one wouldn't either for the first 2 weeks"
Old 11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Feed them lead. It always works.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
He isn't trying to euthanize his beloved pets
Snort
Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Something with **** glands impacting/infecting
I know its gross but some dogs have more problems with that than others. My sister has owned her own dog grooming business for 30+ years and because she is a professional, she does the **** gland squeeze to every dog that needs it. I learned how to do it from a vet and it can really make the pooch feel better and eliminates smell if done at least once a month. Look up "squeeze dog **** gland". Once you get over doing it the first time it gets easier.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Bark
Look up "squeeze dog **** gland".
Yep I will be spending time on Google searching for that one...NOT!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:25 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
My Pointer is the pickiest hound I have ever had. I finally gave up and he gets Purina Dog Chow. He wouldn't touch anything with lamb in it and he snubs the $$$ brands. I know they call it McDonaldds for dogs but its relatively cheap and he's still a physically fit machine so its what he gets.

Corn meal and other ingredients used to really mess with my Rot's coats. I put a Tablespoon of avocado oil in their food 3 times a week and fed them Eukanuba and it cleared up. This was $$$ but I had more back then!

As far as the gland issue goes I have come to the conclusion that some dogs have it and some don't. Its unpleasant to do but gives them relief. I don't ahve any advice for that one.

Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Okay so my curiosity go the best of me so I decided to got view some youtube videos. Needless to say, I should have taken Top's route and opted out
Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by wyododge
Regarding the smelly poo. How long did you stick with the van patten brand. It is very likely that if it was a short time that your dogs body is being cleaned out. Smelly poo is not always an indication of a problem, but can be an indication of the return of beneficial bacteria within the digestive tract. It can also be an indication of incomplete digestion of the food, think colostomy bag (very bad smells due to incomplete digestion and presence of intestinal bacteria not retained in the digestive system).

There are also things to look for in the poo besides just the odor. Streaks, clumps, runny or hard. All can be indications of general digestive health. The same is true for humans. You can take a small sample to your vet to have him checked for worms or parasites. If he does have a parasite or a worm, it is possible that good food is allowing his body to fight it off and the smell is the dead or decaying organisms. It is also possible that the worm, parasite or poor digestive health is not allowing him to digest the good food completely causing a smell which is actually undigested food. Regular iams or SD just aren't as good and do not have the nutritional value so they digest more readily. Not always a good thing. If he does have a parasite, I highly recommend a product called Paranil Jr. It is for humans but we use it to worm our animals (cats and dogs) twice a year. We just put a few drops in their water and a few drops on their food. They actually like the taste. It is recommended by the manufacturer for animals and humans. Worming medicine from the vet is very similar to cancer drugs. They kill everything and are very hard on the digestive system of your loved one.

I know you were looking for those who had experience with this particular food, but you may want to have them tested for 'bugs' first to see if there is an underlying issue. If they were mine I would run the test below. It wont hurt, and certainly wont cost you $300 bones (har, har, har)

Here is a non invasive test. Give him/her a diet of cooked rice (cold) with a little cooked hamburger (cold), this is very, very easy to digest. Cook up a big batch and just store it in the fridge, don't drain the grease from the hamburger. To your rice burger, add paranil Jr. when you feed him/her. Also put a couple of drops in their drinking water. Slowly over the course of two or three weeks introduce the van patten feed while continuing the paranil Jr. This will get rid of any 'bugs' and allow the little guys digestive system to adapt to the new food and increased nutritional value.

If the problem persists, the little guy may have an underlying issue or it may be like broccoli or cucumbers with some folks, they just simply have a hard time digesting it. Nothing wrong, just the way their body works.
Wow. Super informative. Didn’t know about the rice and burger. He’s not currently having **** troubles now. His glands are not infected, not inflamed, not impacted. He just has minor bleeding on occasion and the vet said we may need to remove the glands which can cause future problems, or the glands need to be ….I believe infused is what they called it. All this information from the vet was given when he was on Science Diet/Iams. That is when he was having the majority of the problems. Since we swapped food to the Van Patten, all these problems have gone away and has been that way for around 6 months or so. Now, were just dealing with the weird smell. I never thought about the actual digestion part of it. Whether its bacteria or not, or whether there is full digestion going on or not. The wife, who is a PA thinks the smell is bacteria. She said she sees people that have problems like this…..stinky poo. I thought everyone had stinky poo. Lol. Anyway, I called the vet today and they said it would be around $130 to have a fecal sample fully examined, which we are going to do. Also, tonight, I expressed his **** glands. Let me tell you what!!! Finding the 4 and 8 o’clock glands was easy. Lightly pushing on them was easy. Pullen the finger out and the fluid that came out bout made me tip over. Seriously. And yes, I wore a glove! The glands actually seemed fine from what I’ve read and watched on the net. Didn’t seem to be anything out of the ordinary. Next time, I’ll shove some Vicks Vapor rub up my nose. That was horrid. Anyway, thanks for the info guys. We are going to look into his problem until its fixed. He is one of our boys ya know.

Last edited by dslpwr81; 11-05-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Admin Team Leader

I have owned a lot of dogs over the years and I guess i was very fortunate not to have this problem.

I really don't know how I would have reacted if my Lab brought the ball back to me and said "See here old chap!, be a nice fellow and stick your finger up me bum and give me a wee squeeze will you?... Ahhhh...now that's a good chap, lets play some more ball shall we?"

I feel for you man and obviously you are trying REAL hard to do what is necessary for your boys, good on you old bean
Old 11-05-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Well,different animal but I'm feeding the cat Dick Van Patten's food because it was the only one that didn't have chicken in it. Cat's allergic to chicken and is a happy camper with the new stuff. Way less ingredients when you compare it to other products out there. I haven't had to clean up cat barf since.

Quick Reply: Dick Van Patten Dog Food?