Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

DeWalt, Porter-Cable or Milwaulkee.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeWalt, Porter-Cable or Milwaulkee.....

Or another brand?<br><br>My old 9.6V cordless drill finally gave up the ghost so now I need to figure out what to replace it with. I've got a Compound Mitre saw from Dewalt and a couple of sanders from PC and I like them both. <br><br>I want to get an 18 or better volt drill (hammer drill?) and, of course, I'll eventually get the other pieces of the sets as I have a need. I know Makita's got 24V stuff out there....<br><br>Don't want to start an oil type war here, but interested in hearing some thoughts on the brands. Looking mostly for function and the reliability factor (surprise from a Cummins guy, huh?). Thanks!
Old 07-02-2003, 12:10 AM

Re:DeWalt, Porter-Cable or Milwaulkee.....

I recommond Dewalt. Its never failed us.( knock on wood)
Old 07-02-2003, 01:36 AM

Iv'e got an 18volt Dewalt and I love it, but just a month ago I bought a 18volt Milwaukee kit (hammer drill, circular saw, hatchet sawzall, flash light, and radio) and I can tell you one thing the Milwaukee hammer drill is awesome. The keyless chuck can be tightened with one hand and the power is far above my Dewalt. Dont' get me wrong the Dewalt has been a great drill I just think the Milwaukee is built a little heavier and has a little more power. PC also makes some good stuff, as does Bosh and Mikita.<br><br>You might want to check out this link, I find it real hard to beat this places' prices even with shipping.<br><br>DB
Old 07-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't own battery powered stuff but I can tell you the Milwaukee (Mill' walky) electric powered tools are awsome. Just bought a half inch drill and the difference between it and another well known brand are like night and day. Quality, construction, smoothness of operation, and power was what I was looking for and I found it with this drill.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:55 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used Dewalt, Porter Cable and Milwaukee brand power tools in both the cordless and corded styles. I think you're pretty safe with any of them. All three brands are top of the line and all three will give you years of good service. I'm kind of partial to Porter Cable and Dewalt....but all three are really good. Hope this helps.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:51 AM

Remember,Hoss was right once :
Old 07-02-2003, 09:22 AM
Administrator

I have a Dewalt sawzall and my son has one too. They are pretty tough.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:57 AM

Milwaukee has a new line of hammer drills they call Lok-Tor that look pretty sweet. I have an 18 volt Milwaukee drill-driver (no hammer action) that's now about a year and a half old. It has been outstanding, both in power and battery life--it'll outwork me, that's for sure! I've got a bunch of other Milwaukee tools: 1/2&quot; drill, 3/8&quot; angle drill, Sawzall, grinder, jigsaw, most of them purchased used, and I've had absolutely no problems with any of them at all. The only Porter-Cable tool I've ever used didn't impress me that much. It was a 12 volt cordless drill, and it had no torque whatsoever at low speeds, making it next to useless for jobs like setting drywall screws just under the paper. My 12 volt Craftsman Industrial that I was using at the time just kicked that Porter-Cable's tail.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:56 PM

I have an 18V DeWalt Hammer Drill that I like a lot, my Dad is a General Contractor, all of his cordless stuff is DeWalt, and they seem to hold up very well.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:38 PM

DeWalt and Milwaulkee are my personal choices. I want a new Dewalt cordless drill, but my older one refuses to kick the bucket, it just keeps on taken the abuse.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:34 PM

If GOD used power tools, he would use Milwaulkee.. ;D
Old 07-03-2003, 05:36 PM

[quote author=snowman link=board=10;threadid=16594;start=0#156264 date=1057268336]<br>DeWalt and Milwaulkee are my personal choices. I want a new Dewalt cordless drill, but my older one refuses to kick the bucket, it just keeps on taken the abuse. <br>[/quote]<br><br>No worries Snowman, you always need two. One for the drill bit and the other for the Screw apex. 8) I had to buy 3 becuase I also needed a small one for the countersink bit. <br><br>DB
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 PM

Makita makes the only battery op drill that is worth its salt. I've had my 9 volt for 17 years and the only problem was the need for a new battery. Just bought a new 18v two yrs ago and I like it. The Dewalt will be in the shop on a regular basis. I don't know of a single person with a Dewalt that hasn't had to bring it in for repairs.<br><br><br> Just my opinion<br> <br>
Old 07-03-2003, 11:12 PM

I've had all three brands (and then some), and I am partial to the Porter Cable - 2nd choice is Millwaukee. I have the 19.2V Grip-to-Fit Porter Cable and have never had a problem with it. The 19.2V battery has a really long life between charges, and plenty of torque.<br><br>THT<br>-joel
Old 07-03-2003, 11:15 PM

Here is the drill jfpointer was refering to. Lok-Tor Hammer Drill <br><br>This is the hammer drill I have and the chuck is amazing, best keyless chuck I've seen on a drill yet. 8)<br><br>DB

Quick Reply: DeWalt, Porter-Cable or Milwaulkee.....