Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The Dependable Reliable yet somewhat twisted breakroom

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see the breakroom is going out in style/with a bang/loose caboose ....

Buck up Fiver Bubby! blue chips are gonna save the day next week.

NEfarmexhaustion, chuckled on yer snail mail. saw some spring calves today, some parts of your job must be enjoyable when the sun shines....

bought whole machine for 800 bucks to get the 3 cyl diesel motor....good people where I live. cleaned up eight months of snow damage.
need w a t e r .......gasp. to clean my Harley of course gonna be 80 tomorrow...
Old 04-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Top - your situation wins. Plumbing gets you wet, fire gets you dead or takes your entire house
After I was done playing on the interweb this morning, DW suggested I call the small hardware store in the small town about 20 miles east of us. Guess what, the hardware store in the small town had what I needed and what Home Depot in the big city didn't have. Instead of the copper corrugated line from the 3/4inch threaded fitting on the water softener we now have rubber in stainless steel braid. That oughta last!! Problem solved with $50 worth of parts and 30 minutes of my sweat equity. Once I run the water softener tonight we will have suds again BTW - when I refer to suds, I am talking about bubbles from soap not beer.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Wow Sean...good catch on that...like you my timing isn't usually that sweet though it sure was a few years ago.

We had electric baseboard heating as our primary heat back before I installed the two heat pumps and my wife and I were pulling out Friday night to go out of town and do some shopping when she returned from her annual shopping trip with her Mother and Sister.

As they were packing to leave the Hotel they were in, my wife stepped on a big sewing needle that somebody had dropped on the floor and to make a long story short, she didn't feel like walking all over another mall so we stayed home.

That night we sat watching TV at home instead of spending the night out of town as we had planned when without warning the baseboard heater exploded in flames and they immediately were licking up the paneled wall about 2 feet

I ran to kill the power and my wife ran for the fire extinguisher in the kitchen and we met back there in time to watch the flames go out thanks to killing the circuit.

We often talk about how close we came to losing everything if she had NOT stepped on that sewing needle in that other Hotel room....
You have oil filled electric baseboards?

Cheapo would have thrown a few sparks and tripped the breaker.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Spent the day running the Control Room of the Cop Shop for the Thunder over Louisville Air Show. HUGE fireworks tonight, but no thanks...Way too many hundreds of thousands of people. The Blue Angels were here, plus the F-22 Demo team. Few old P-51's and a p-47, plus some friendly Canadians and Germans made an appearance. Many more, but those were the highlights parked on our ramp. I'm pooped and heading for the coffee...
Old 04-12-2014, 08:09 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Came in for a late cup of coffee, but see someone scrubbed the flavor grass off the inside of the pot, dont you people realize how long it takes to properly season a coffee pot?? whats wrong with you!!
... thats ok, once the dragon uses it for a urinal again, it'll taste like normal DTR coffee..
Dont ask what he does in the Phoo pot...

Sounds like everyone has had a busy day.. we have severe storms forecast for tonight and tomorrow, so crammed the whole weekends to-do-list into today..

Finished putting in and leveling 125 stone edgers for THE BOSS's flower beds, cut her tall grasses down so they can regrow(?), spread 97 2cubic foot bags of black stained mulch( those shoes/gloves will never be the same), laid landscaping fabric and chicken wire in two of her other beds then mulch( chicken wire keeps critters from digging in them), cleaned he chicken coop, moved hay for hte horses and scrubbed out the water tank,
and got 6 of her new plants in the ground...the rest she wants to wait on so they dont get hail damaged tonight..

WOW, didnt feel tired until I wrote all that...

Ok, off to fins some decent coffee and some dinner..

yall b safe..........chris
Old 04-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
You have oil filled electric baseboards?

Cheapo would have thrown a few sparks and tripped the breaker.
No oil..these were simply 220 volt electric baseboard heaters era late 70's, the wiring shorted out right where one of the hot leads enters the end of the element...

The breaker did not trip, what it did was arc and start the paneling on fire.....when I killed the power the flame died out, we didn't even have to use the extinguisher although my wife had pulled the pin and was ready to sweep it.

I have no idea why the breaker did not trip but it was replaced when I put a new heater in it's place. I was sitting a foot away when it looked like lightning hit the wall. I replaced all the old heaters at that point just in case.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hydroponic baseboard heat..the worst thing that happens if the base goes outis the floors are wet...
now the 30 yr old rusty boiler is a different story.....

BOOM
Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Hydroponic baseboard heat..the worst thing that happens if the base goes outis the floors are wet...
now the 30 yr old rusty boiler is a different story.....

BOOM
They usually just pee all over the floor too, but now aways.

I visited a church in Illinois somewhere back in the late 70's. I noticed it looked pretty new in places, old in others. The told me the boiler blew up, blew both ends off the building with a packed house. Nobody was hurt. What they couldn't figure out is why the boiler blew up.

I started asking questions.
1. What was the fuel? .......gas
2. Was it always gas?....... no converted from oil.
3. How much did the gas burner cost?..... about $300, a member of the church got a good deal on it.

Deduction so far. Industrial burner, not commercial. Much less safety controls on it.

4. Did the boiler have any problems, like leaking? ..... yes, it leaked.
5. Was the leak repaired?..... yes, the janitor bought a plug and put it in the hole that was leaking. (had to be the pressure relief)

Burner ran away, and the old cast iron oil boiler probably had over 100 lbs of pressure on it when it bleve'd. Was a miracle nobody got hurt. A piece of the boiler was stuck in a garage door a block away.