Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

DEFINING Conservatives and Liberals

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Old School

This has to be seen by many, may I copy it?

Keith
Thanks for the kind words, however I did not write that piece. It was referred to me, and it was posted as "Author Unknown".

Feel free to pass it around, but expect a few grumbles when you do
Old 09-14-2004, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MCMLV
As long as this is kept in good humor I'd like to pose this question or rather in what category (conservative or liberal) would you place the following individuals and why?

Galileo, Columbus, Einstein, Jefferson, Franklin, Edison.
You may add your own, obviously people (not political fugures) who have greatly contributed to mankind.

This is not meant as a debate, but just a simple expresion of point of view, not to beargued or criticized. Thanks.
You obvioulsy haven't been reading the thread. I would bet that most if not all of those individuals preferred wine (perhaps even imported wine) over beer, therefore they must be worthless...

Now, if one of them had invented foosball... then we'd be talking...
Old 09-14-2004, 08:33 PM
DPG

According to ABC News, this sums up the difference between the two camps:

Liberals drive foreign cars, HATE WalMart, and seldom go to church.

Conservatives drive American cars (or trucks!), shop a WalMart, and go to church most every Sunday.

Puts me firmly in the Conservative camp, and I'm happy to be here.

DeWain
Old 09-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DPG
According to ABC News, this sums up the difference between the two camps:

Liberals drive foreign cars, HATE WalMart, and seldom go to church.

Conservatives drive American cars (or trucks!), shop a WalMart, and go to church most every Sunday.
Going by Top's original post, I am very much a Conservative.

-but-

My German owned Daimler-Chrysler produced Dodge was made in Mexico,

I wouldn't be caught dead in a Walmart,

and I haven't been to church in years (except last Sunday as my son had an appointment, so I stood in the hall outside the office).

So I guess I'm a Liberal?

Often wondered what I was.

Maybe I'm a Conservative Liberal, or a Liberal Conservative

phox
Old 09-14-2004, 09:19 PM

********Conservatives drive American cars (or trucks!),

Hmm lets see.....what exactly is an American vehicle? A Toyota Camry built in Kentucky by Americans or a Dodge Ram built in Mexico by Mexicans???? How about a Chevy made in Canada. Or is that still American cause it is "just" Canada.

By the way......Wal-Mart has its place but so does Franks Pretty Good Hardware that was put out of business cause Wally World rolled into town.

If you wanna pull religion into the polictical debate which almost always happens then one thing should always be remembered. Treat others like you would want to be treated. And treat others like they want to be treated! The world would be a much happier place if people just followed this simple theory.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:31 PM

While I am at it........When you drive your American vehicle to the wonderful world of Wally...read some labels on their products. Where are those products made folks? You are reading right! China! Made in China! It seems that everything that Wal-Mart sells is made in China. And it is not just Wal-Mart but many stores. Our "American" companies are selling out fellow Americans by having their products cheaply manufactured by eager workers in China and other countries. America is losing its ability to manufacture products. And when you cannot manufacture products then you are in serious trouble! How did we beat the Germans and Japanese in WWII? Many many fine young men gave their all to the cause and we built more stuff than the enemy did. So if you wanna get bent out of shape on a subject then get bent on this. We are losing our manufacturing base and losing it fast. I support which ever party is for re-establishing our manufacturing supremecy and getting people out of the service jobs and into "making products" jobs!
Old 09-15-2004, 01:35 AM

On the Chevy commercial where the 18 wheeler slides in the parking lot (Cool commercial!) it's a Freightliner truck!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:37 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Papaperk, maybe you are missing something here. Any manufacturer is in business to make a profit. NO manufacture is in business for charity. The only way today the American manufacturer can make a profit is to go to a country where the cost to manufacture his widget is cheaper than in the US. Why, because the unions, politicians etc have driven the cost of labor in the states too high to enable them to make a profit.
Are you going to tell us that you are going to be prepared to pay about twice the cost for that widget just because it says, "Made in America"?. If so, you will be among the very few to do so. It also sounds as tho you do not understand the basics of business. You say that the American companies are selling your fellow Americans out by farming out these manufacturing jobs overseas. I don't think so! Take a closer look at the REAL reason this is happening. If your truck was 100% made in the US (fuel systems, alternator etc included) your truck would cost maybe $10,000 more. Would you buy it then?
This has been hashed out in great detail in a previous very interesting thread which someone caused to be locked. I have no intention of opening that thread, so please, no flaming.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:58 AM

Uhhhhh.........

Mexstan.....
I am quite familar with how the U.S. econonmy works. And you are absolutely correct about the unions and men in suits driving up the wages on the manufactures. But the fact remains that people in the U.S. need jobs and manufacturing jobs are what build the economy. The removal of factories from the U.S. is a real, factual problem, and should be addressed at a macro level by the federal goverenment. If polictians ride around in the pockets of the big corporations then big corporations control the U.S. not the U.S. people.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:12 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
PP, OK on that theme we are in agreement and I do acknowledge that manufacturing is badly needed in the US. Did you know that yesterday figures were posted to show that over 400,000 people in the US were out of work?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:37 PM

I beg to differ on Franklin and Jefferson, by todays standards they both would be considered fundamentalist Conservatives. They were both Masons.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:11 AM

Amen Brother Bill
Old 09-17-2004, 12:17 AM

People said the country would never make it when we went from an Agricultural economy to an Industrial economy. Japan is a good example of vertical manufacturing. Japan has very lean manufacturing processes but lose profit because they either build every part themselves or buy every part domestically instead of finding a company that builds that part only at a lower cost since that is all they build. The US is going through another economic change and we will adjust because that is what we do. Change is never easy.

Barry
Old 09-17-2004, 10:41 PM

Papaperk makes a critical key point. Yes, businesses have to stay in business and most will go wherever is needed to reduce costs, BUT, the day will come when we simply will lose our ability to produce the basic products. I was in Lowes the other day to buy nails. Every nail in the store was made in China! Given enough time, our factories will vanish and our kids or grandkids will not know how to even make nails. Remember the story of how a nation was lost, because a war was lost, because a battle was lost, because a horse was lost, because of a lost horseshoe nail?
Old 09-17-2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Pop-Pop
Remember the story of how a nation was lost, because a war was lost, because a battle was lost, because a horse was lost, because of a lost horseshoe nail?
Pop-Pop I never heard that one, but I will take your word for it