Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Decisions, decisions.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decisions, decisions.......

We've been keeping an eye out for a few acres to buy, with the hopes of finding something in our budget that we could eventually put a house on in a couple of years. Was doing a web search last night, and came across 17.9 acres with a house on it (3 bedroom) for 200 grand.

First thought was there had to be something wrong with the place to be that low. (It's just NW of Georgetown.) Took a jaunt out there today to take a peek.

**sigh** It's EXACTLY what we've been looking for. It's out in the sticks, close enough to the city where the commute isn't a ball buster, and it has tons of room for the lad to ride his toys around the place (go cart, dirt bike, etc.).

Two concerns with the place.. First (and it really isn't THAT big of a deal), the house and out buildings are painted with the most hideous shade of green I've ever seen! Second (and this one could be a deal breaker for me), there's a rock quarry across the road. Gonna have to think long and hard on this one. Can't really see the quarry from the property, but you can hear the machinery running. Not my idea of a nice quiet place in the country. The stuff isn't loud, but you can definitely hear it in the background. Dagnabit!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Well atleast you know that they won't be putting up a housing development right there!!! That is the way Colorado is becoming, what used to be nice farm country is now nothing but houses.

My dad bought him a house on a few acres by a gravel pit where there is nothing but lakes around him.......gave him a nice little comfort zone from neighbors.

~Nick
Old 10-12-2006, 12:29 PM

Well, that's the exact thing I'll be looking for when I graduate. Sounds like a deal to me. Paint the house, get used to the quarry. Is it a permanent quarry?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:33 PM

Sounds good. See what you "can dig up" on the quarry. See how long it has been in operation, hours of operation,.... Call the owners and ask them some questions, maybe they plan on shutting down in a year or maybe the plan to expand (might be good too).

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM

well at 200g's you must be making soime good money, casue that is about a $1500 a month mortgage.

I am looking for something in the 100g and down range. preferably around 80,000. I found a place with 10 acres off the beatned path, only down side is the house layout and no central heat and air at the moment...They are asking 95g for it, I am thinking of offering 85 so I can have the central heat and air installed...
Old 10-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Banned

Are you guys serious you can't even get a 1/4 acre around my area for less than 180k for just the lot. Now if you want to drive an hour and half to work than thats a different story.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HappyGA
well at 200g's you must be making soime good money, casue that is about a $1500 a month mortgage.

I am looking for something in the 100g and down range. preferably around 80,000. I found a place with 10 acres off the beatned path, only down side is the house layout and no central heat and air at the moment...They are asking 95g for it, I am thinking of offering 85 so I can have the central heat and air installed...
WOW houses are sure cheap down your way..........man you can't buy ANYTHING out here for less than $150,000 and they are pretty rough at that price!!

~Nick
Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 PM

200 g with a VA loan, nothing down would run me around 1300 per month at 6.5 percent. That's doable as our rent in Austin is over 1000. Her commute would be around 35-40 mins, mine around an hour (I work on the SW side of Austin).

Lots of quarry pits in the area. Counted about 5 on the way in. At least the road that the house sits on is quiet. No truck traffic at all and the road is a dead end road. Gonna take the other half out there this weekend and see what she thinks.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:59 PM

oh....texas's pay has always been better than east coast
Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 PM

do your research on quarry's and i think you will like what you will find. i agree about finding out how much longer they plan to mine there. alot of the old quarry's get renevated into country clubs or into lakes u just might have found a good deal. didn't san antonio turn one into a golf course and land around it is outragous. good luck.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:36 PM

I think you would get used to a rock quarry. It's like when people move next to train tracks. they get used to the train going by at 2 in the morning.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by silkmanilla
do your research on quarry's and i think you will like what you will find. i agree about finding out how much longer they plan to mine there. alot of the old quarry's get renevated into country clubs or into lakes u just might have found a good deal. didn't san antonio turn one into a golf course and land around it is outragous. good luck.
Ya I used to live near by they called it the "Quarry" Lots of higher end resturants , condos, movie theatre, golf course, etc... It's actually really nice they made the movie theatre look like the inside of the original quarry and they kept the smoke stacks and built stores around them. Pretty cool in my book. Lands pretty expensive around there right now...
Old 10-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by diesel_burner
I think you would get used to a rock quarry. It's like when people move next to train tracks. they get used to the train going by at 2 in the morning.
And when you sleep somewhere else you wake up at 2:05am because something's missing.

$200k?! Man...if I could get that piece of property out here for that money I'd be all over it. That'd be something like 600k here, at least.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
WOW houses are sure cheap down your way..........man you can't buy ANYTHING out here for less than $150,000 and they are pretty rough at that price!!
If you get away from the big cities in Colorado, the prices drop off... you can get rough places for $75-85k in Penrose.. and my in-laws are looking at about $200k to setup a 2400 Sq ft modular on 47 acres.. and it's about an hour commute to Colorado Springs..
Old 10-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Have a look at this
http://www.century21.com/buy/propert...037814&bSite=N
And just think I believe that is in a development And is cheap compared to some going for 500-700k on an acre

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions.......