Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Death Row In California!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PsRumors
That 26 number is an assumption on statistics. That number is not proven. But lets just say it is so.

In 2004 there were 16,694 Alcohol related deaths. Of that 47% of the deaths were victims (not the drunk). We continue to use alcohol and we continue to use automobiles.

More innocent people are killed by automobiles than all of the innocent or guilty killed by capital punishment.

I work within the legal system and have yet to find a guilty inmate or one guilty enough to deserve his punishment.
"That 26 number is an assumption on statistics. That number is not proven. But lets just say it is so."

That number is an assumption, you are right, it may well be a lot more than that. "but let's just say it's so" Wow, how can ANYONE blow it off if only one person is wrongfully killed due to no fault or wrong doing on his part ?
I wonder if a person with that outlook or mind set would think differently if one of his family members were that "one" inocent person who was put to death?
Old 02-21-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I do not think the current use of the death penalty is doing what it was initially designed to do. It is not a deterrent as for the most part it is done quietly. It is not cost effective as the condemned remain on death row for 25+ years costing us hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I say lets try em, if convicted give em 5 years to get their legal ducks in a row just in case and then have a public firing squad, hanging, electrocution, or even lethal injection.

The ones that are going to show up to watch will be the families of the condemned, the victims and the sick that need to see it for a deterrent.

Valid point. Back in the ays of public hangings, the death penalty actually deterred. Now it's just a way to clog up the legal system
Old 02-21-2006, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
I don't know why it's been such a "controversial" issue on the news, the way they're reporting it is stupid. they just show the candlelight vigils and interviews with the dude's friends and talk about how remorseful and how changed they are...they should show pictures of the person that was killed and pics of the crime scene, show the interview of the families of the victims.

I don't feel bad for someone being put to death that chose to be there by taking someone else's life because of an inconvenience to themselves. When a person makes that choice, they give up their gift of life and their liberties.

And about the 'innocent' getting fried...my step-grandpa's son is close to the end of his life sentence for murder, he was driving two of his 'friends' around, they had him drop them off and wait in the car, went in and robbed/murdered someone and they turned against him and said he did it. they got off and he went to jail. he's learned a very hard way it's important who your friends are and he openly admits that he could've avoided being wrongly accused by who he put around himself. of those supposed 26 innocent that were executed, I do feel bad for them but they probably made some choices that put them in a very compromising position.

I don't see what's wrong with the death penalty, if you don't want to get fried, don't murder someone or befriend yourself with someone that would. If someone knows the worst that's going to happen to him if there's concrete evidence he murdered someone, is that he'll get 25 years, what do you think the murder/assult rate is going to do?

the death penalty does two basic things, punishes a criminal for his crime and makes a public display of how important it is to think about the consequences of our actions.
Not to say I don't agree, but you can NEVER realy know a person so you can't really know if they will be a killer, rapist or whatever. People just need to be smarter when choosing friends. Heck, people just need to be smarter.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by herb
"That 26 number is an assumption on statistics. That number is not proven. But lets just say it is so."

That number is an assumption, you are right, it may well be a lot more than that. "but let's just say it's so" Wow, how can ANYONE blow it off if only one person is wrongfully killed due to no fault or wrong doing on his part ?
I wonder if a person with that outlook or mind set would think differently if one of his family members were that "one" inocent person who was put to death?

That is the only thought? So alcohol and autos should be legal even though innocent die to a much greater number than 26? If my numbers are correct it has yet to be proven a single person has been the victim of capital punishment.

How would you feel about the person that raped, then murdered, then raped and then dismembered your 8 your old daughter prior to placing her on your doorstep? He should just live a well fed life in prison?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:10 PM

That is the only thought? So alcohol and autos should be legal even though innocent die to a much greater number than 26? If my numbers are correct it has yet to be proven a single person has been the victim of capital punishment.

How would you feel about the person that raped, then murdered, then raped and then dismembered your 8 your old daughter prior to placing her on your doorstep? He should just live a well fed life in prison?
Yes.

But it should be a "sure thing" that he is never released thus protecting society from him.
In reality I am not sure that life in prison would not be worse than an instantanios death penalty
Old 02-21-2006, 04:18 PM

The way I see it, if there was enough evidence to get you to where you are in court, then your either guilty, or you had something to do with the crime. I agree, our judicial system needs to be reformed. The law needs to based on facts, not by the color of your skin or how deep your pockets are. There are some cases here recently that were decided because of $$$ and who they were. I agree with the above mentioned 5 year max to appeal a decision, and then exacute them!

DON'T MESS WITH KALLYFONIA!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:50 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

proud supporter of public executions.

Sell tickets, sell concessions, sell ol 'maters to throw... off set the cost some.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckshotmckee
The way I see it, if there was enough evidence to get you to where you are in court, then your either guilty, or you had something to do with the crime. I agree, our judicial system needs to be reformed. The law needs to based on facts, not by the color of your skin or how deep your pockets are. There are some cases here recently that were decided because of $$$ and who they were. I agree with the above mentioned 5 year max to appeal a decision, and then execute them!
So just accussing someone of a capital crime is all you need to kill them? I've been fausely accused of vandalism and sexual assault (two different cases) BOTH times I had nothing to do with them, absolutly nothing. According to you I should be in jail serving 25 - life.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
So just accussing someone of a capital crime is all you need to kill them? I've been fausly accused of vandalism and sexual assault (two different cases) BOTH times I had nothing to do with them. According to you I should be in jail serving 25 - life.
Kinda like the blind leading the blind. For anyone to accept that a person being brought to the level of a trial is involved or guilty they have to blindly accept the judgement of the people in the "judicial chain" who got that person there.
How many of the people in that chain are striving for a judicial appointment or running for reelection and are willing to do whatever is nesesary to get there?
Truth be known , there are a lot of peoples rights stepped on as many of the "folks in charge" climb their ladders
Old 02-21-2006, 08:01 PM

So just accussing someone of a capital crime is all you need to kill them? I've been fausely accused of vandalism and sexual assault (two different cases) BOTH times I had nothing to do with them, absolutly nothing. According to you I should be in jail serving 25 - life.
that sucks, how did the trials turn out? i assume that since you're not serving the charges were dropped or you were found not guilty? i'm pretty sure Tye meant everyone sentenced should be done within 5 years max, not everyone that makes it to trial; also that most people(not EVERYONE) that make it to trial are usually involved in some way.
But seriously, this 20-25 years thing is ridiculous, there's really no way to argue that.
and why does someone that's convicted of both murder and rape deserve to live still? he made a decision to give up his rights and freedoms, the last thing we need to do is give them back to him. I'd like to see how your opinion changed on this herb if someone close to you was brutally raped and pre-meditatedly murdered. I'd like to hear you say that you would support giving his freedoms and way of life back to him cause it'd be mean for us to end his life; I really don't like my hard earned money paying for those bas***ds to have tv, excercise equipment, meals and housing for free. a lot of prisoners have better living conditions than our troops fighting to keep us safe, I think that's pretty messed up.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

For me, all it takes is one innocent man to be put to death to prove the system is broke.

Can you immagine going to sit in the electric chair knowing it was not you that did it?
Finally.... Something you and I agree on.

Britt

Old 02-21-2006, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I know is that there is going to be an execution tonight and I'm Happy, NO, Gleeful that it is!!!

I'm tired of supporting convicted criminals on death row!!! Each one saves Ca Tax payers about 200k per year if not more!!!

Rick
Old 02-22-2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by runamuk
All I know is that there is going to be an execution tonight and I'm Happy, NO, Gleeful that it is!!!

I'm tired of supporting convicted criminals on death row!!! Each one saves Ca Tax payers about 200k per year if not more!!!

Rick
Common sense prevailed
Old 02-22-2006, 02:43 AM

Between 1900 & 2000 we excicuted 26 people that were later proven to be inncocent. From 2001 to now we have let 18 people out of death row because the wrong man was convicted and sentenced to death.

For me, all it takes is one innocent man to be put to death to prove the system is broke.

Can you immagine going to sit in the electric chair knowing it was not you that did it?
Sometimes you just have to take one for the team!
Old 02-22-2006, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by herb
Kinda like the blind leading the blind. For anyone to accept that a person being brought to the level of a trial is involved or guilty they have to blindly accept the judgement of the people in the "judicial chain" who got that person there.
How many of the people in that chain are striving for a judicial appointment or running for reelection and are willing to do whatever is nesesary to get there?
Truth be known , there are a lot of peoples rights stepped on as many of the "folks in charge" climb their ladders
Herb, I knew for you to be so passionate about this it had to have something to do with an election!

I'm just disappointed that California has been putting them down faster than we have in Tenn.

Quick Reply: Death Row In California!