Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Death Row In California!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Row In California!

I was wondering if anybody else has noticed the increase in deaths lately. It seems like Arnold has put in an express line on death row. It's been 2 since December and they were going for #3 last night, one a month. Personally I think its a good thing that some of these murders, rapists, etc... are finally getting there's (Don't get me wrong). Last night the Dr's wouldn't do lethal injection because they said it was ethnically wrong? I'm not too sure what that means but whatever? What really confuses me is these human rights activists that say he's been very remorseful for the past 25 years he's been locked up, NO **** EINSTEIN! Only because he got CAUGHT!
Old 02-21-2006, 10:20 AM

Hey, I am with you on this one, we do the same thing here in Ok!! Goodluck,,Rick
Old 02-21-2006, 10:20 AM

Instead of getting Doc to do the injection (they are right, their oath prevents them from taking life), get a nurse or someone trained to do injections. Problem solved.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:21 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They didnt refuse to do it, they refused to "intervine if the condemed showed any signs of pain" they said that was unethical....
They are going to OD the guy on tranquilizers now.

per the AP website
Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 AM

I do not think the current use of the death penalty is doing what it was initially designed to do. It is not a deterrent as for the most part it is done quietly. It is not cost effective as the condemned remain on death row for 25+ years costing us hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I say lets try em, if convicted give em 5 years to get their legal ducks in a row just in case and then have a public firing squad, hanging, electrocution, or even lethal injection.

The ones that are going to show up to watch will be the families of the condemned, the victims and the sick that need to see it for a deterrent.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:20 PM

I think the way we do it is ridiculous....Leave a guy in prison for 25 yrs, it should be that once he is found guilty and has expended alll of his appeals, they should find the most painful way and kill them. Maybe that will stop some of the bs that happens in this country. Other counties don't put up with the bs we do and their violent crimes are way down compared to ours.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
String the bastards up and be done with it. Rope is A LOT cheaper than a prison stay. Could eliminate a lot of the states' debt. Cure a lot of violence as well.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Between 1900 & 2000 we excicuted 26 people that were later proven to be inncocent. From 2001 to now we have let 18 people out of death row because the wrong man was convicted and sentenced to death.

For me, all it takes is one innocent man to be put to death to prove the system is broke.

Can you immagine going to sit in the electric chair knowing it was not you that did it?
Old 02-21-2006, 02:27 PM

as Ron White says. "did you know that if you kill someone in texas and more than 2 people saw you do it you go straight to the chair, while other states are trying to abolish the death penalty my state's puttin in an express lane"
Old 02-21-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Between 1900 & 2000 we excicuted 26 people that were later proven to be inncocent. From 2001 to now we have let 18 people out of death rox becuse the wrong man was convicted and sentenced to death.

For me, all it takes is one innocent man to be put to death to prove the system is broke.

Can you immagine going to sit in the electric chair knowing it was not you that did it?
I think the death penalty should be abolished period. One innocent person being put to death should tell any compasinate person that it is not worth the gamble of executing another innocent human being.
The arguement about paying to house them is completly invalid when one looks at how this government squanders tax dollars.
take the non-violent prisoners out of the prisons and put them into a boot camp training program followed up with a minimum paying job , requireing them to make payments of restitution to their victims until they are able to better themselves.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Between 1900 & 2000 we excicuted 26 people that were later proven to be inncocent. From 2001 to now we have let 18 people out of death row because the wrong man was convicted and sentenced to death.

That 26 number is an assumption on statistics. That number is not proven. But lets just say it is so.

In 2004 there were 16,694 Alcohol related deaths. Of that 47% of the deaths were victims (not the drunk). We continue to use alcohol and we continue to use automobiles.

More innocent people are killed by automobiles than all of the innocent or guilty killed by capital punishment.

I work within the legal system and have yet to find a guilty inmate or one guilty enough to deserve his punishment.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

Last Friday Feb 17, a California Highway Patrol officer was shot in the head and murdered about 3 miles from my house on highway 99 outside of Ripon, Ca. He was conducting a routine traffic stop. A major manhunt followed, and a subject was apprehended. The individual that is under arrest has priors for burglary among other things. The officer killed, was 35 and a 5 year veteran of the CHP.

From what I understand of Ca law, if the jury finds this guy guilty, the prosecutors can ask for the death penalty.

The sad thing is, this rodent will sit on death row for the next 25 years. Meanwhile, this officers family wil spend the next 25 years waiting, and watching appeal after appeal.

Personally, I think its just sad. And I for one am glad the governator has stepped things up a bit. If your on deathrow, your usually there for a reason. Why is it that after these guys have been sentenced to a death penalty, that they get the luxury of hanging out for the next 20 plus years untill it happens Meanwhile, I pay for it every year.

Lastly my thoughts and prayers go out to this cops family and any other family that has dealt with a similar situation. If convicted, and if this is the guy(from what Ive heard it does look like it) I hope he gets an extra thick needle administered very slowly. The sooner the better, while his act is still fresh in his head.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by PsRumors
That 26 number is an assumption on statistics. That number is not proven. But lets just say it is so.

In 2004 there were 16,694 Alcohol related deaths. Of that 47% of the deaths were victims (not the drunk). We continue to use alcohol and we continue to use automobiles.

More innocent people are killed by automobiles than all of the innocent or guilty killed by capital punishment.

I work within the legal system and have yet to find a guilty inmate or one guilty enough to deserve his punishment.
And yet marijuana has statistically not killed or injured even one person. But if you smoke it all kinds of bad things will happen, just not death. More people have been killed be overdosing on asprin. But that is another argument. We can't get rid of everything that hurts us or makes us uncomforable. Personally, I think our corrections system needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. To many things to get locked up for.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:20 PM

I don't know why it's been such a "controversial" issue on the news, the way they're reporting it is stupid. they just show the candlelight vigils and interviews with the dude's friends and talk about how remorseful and how changed they are...they should show pictures of the person that was killed and pics of the crime scene, show the interview of the families of the victims.

I don't feel bad for someone being put to death that chose to be there by taking someone else's life because of an inconvenience to themselves. When a person makes that choice, they give up their gift of life and their liberties.

And about the 'innocent' getting fried...my step-grandpa's son is close to the end of his life sentence for murder, he was driving two of his 'friends' around, they had him drop them off and wait in the car, went in and robbed/murdered someone and they turned against him and said he did it. they got off and he went to jail. he's learned a very hard way it's important who your friends are and he openly admits that he could've avoided being wrongly accused by who he put around himself. of those supposed 26 innocent that were executed, I do feel bad for them but they probably made some choices that put them in a very compromising position.

I don't see what's wrong with the death penalty, if you don't want to get fried, don't murder someone or befriend yourself with someone that would. If someone knows the worst that's going to happen to him if there's concrete evidence he murdered someone, is that he'll get 25 years, what do you think the murder/assult rate is going to do?

the death penalty does two basic things, punishes a criminal for his crime and makes a public display of how important it is to think about the consequences of our actions.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:29 PM

The death penalty was abolished in Ca. for a long time. The reason why we have seen an increase lately is because the appeals process takes 20-25 years and the ones that were convicted after capital punishment was re-instated are just now finally exhausting their appeals. I know of a case personally back in 1986 and I'm hoping that his time is coming soon.

Quick Reply: Death Row In California!