Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dealer Sold Truck Out from Under my buddy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most car salesman are losers and liars.

A similar situation happened to me a couple years ago at Lithia Dodge in Colorado. I had a friend in Oklahoma that was looking for a 1st gen. My other friend who is a paintless dent repairman saw one on Lithia's wholesale lot where he was doing some work. It was a '93 club cab Cummins auto with 125K miles with nice aftermarket wheels and except for a dent in the door it was a clean truck for $3K. I test drove it for my buddy and he wired the down payment and agreed with the sales manager that he would pick it up it in two weeks because that is when he could get time off from work.

10 days go by and my friend calls up the dealer to finalize the deal (title, taxes, where to pick it up, etc.) and the sales manager told him that he sold it. He said that it had a bad turbo and trans so he did not want to sell it to him anyway. They did return the money.
Luckily for the sales manager my PDR friend did work there or I would have given him a piece of my mind. About a year later he stopped doing work for them because they were being dishonest about what cars he had repaired for them.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by P.J
I've sold things out from under people who refused to make the effort to leave deposit, didn't even think twice, you snooze you lose.

Agreed! Your buddy didn't want that truck bad enough or he would have made even a $100 deposit on a credit card the night you guys test drove it.

Money talks and I think we all know what walks.

Your "salesman" obviously thought you were a pair of tire kickers otherwise he would have been there when your buddy returned to ink the deal.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:40 PM

Sorry. I would have done it too. Cash talks.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Wow, a car salesman pulled that stunt.....You've got a lot to learn in this life my friend! Keep looking, you'll find another one. Kurt
Old 09-08-2007, 05:47 PM

It's a tight market for good diesels of all kinds. My buddy found three in two different cities, called on Friday afternoon, went to see them Saturday morning. One was already gone, there were three guys ahead of him on one. He got the third one a hundred miles down the road. Gotta act fast to get a good deal.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
When I bought my truck new I paid a $2000.00 deposit to a very large dealer and said I would be back in about 2 hours with my possible trade in. I came back about 1 1/2 hours later and they had sold my truck. They tried to get me into a different truck, more money different color and offered me nothing for my trade. I told them forget the trade but I want MY truck that I paid a $2000.00 deposit on. They then tried to get me into this other truck for the same price (they must have sold MY truck for more than I was paying) I told them NO and that I only buy white vehicles. When they realized they would loose my sale they went to the other buyer who was still there and told them what had happened.

I got MY truck, I don't know if the other buyer bought the other one though.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 AM

Wait... the salesman in the original post refused a deposit? What kind of idiot would do that? Even if financing wasn't approved yet you still take the money and label it as non-refundable pending finance.

Maybe trailer sales is different than car sales but I wouldn't ever turn down a deposit. The worst that could happen is you have to give it back because financing fell through. And if they back out... well, thats why its labeled as non-refundable.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:57 AM

Thats why if im going to "look" at something I already have the money on me. You really cant blame the salesman. When I sold my bike 3 guys were "coming back with a deposit"........another guy showed up with cash and he got it.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:54 AM
REALLY old dog

There You Go, You Not Only Have Dealers That Are Troles, You Have Costumers That Are Also.
So Your Going To Tie Up A Salable Piece Of Merchandise ,on Some Ones Word , ( Now Thats My Prefrance ,doing Busniss On A Hand Shake And Someones Word) Unfortanatelly People Have Become More Flaky Over The Years,
We The Ones That Enjoy Doing Busniss The Old Fashoned Way (mans Word And Hand Shake Are Gold) Are A Dying Breed And Must Put Up With Flaky Buyers And Sellers !
Claude
Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM

ya thats pretty bad you cant by someones word anymore. I dont care that non-refundable deposit trash. if someone cant get the loan they should get their deposit back. well thats why these local car dealership owners are millionaires not be having a good word by ripping ppl off with all their propaganda on kelly blue book and telling ppl its a great vehicle whens it not
Old 09-10-2007, 03:45 PM

I own a small car/trailer dealership on the side, and I hate to not trust people, but especially on cars i have a couple people tell me they will take only to never hear from them again. I used to hold cars for people on their word, but not anymore i've been burned to many times.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:49 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ks_cowboy
I own a small car/trailer dealership on the side, and I hate to not trust people, but especially on cars i have a couple people tell me they will take only to never hear from them again. I used to hold cars for people on their word, but not anymore i've been burned to many times.
Good for you, cash talks (you know what they say about BS).

Anyone who is SERIOUS will leave a small deposit, doesn't have to be a thousand dollars, just something to let you know they are serious and you will at least see their face again.