Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dealer Sold Truck Out from Under my buddy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Sold Truck Out from Under my buddy!

My buddy has been looking and looking for a 2nd gen 4x4 ext cab for well over a year with out being taken to the bank. Well over the weekend, he found a 01 with 140K mile on it in great shape for $13800. We went over to the dealer on Tuesday and checked the truck out and took it for a drive, thing ran mint, it was a real good buy. My buddy calls the dealer yesterday (Wed) and says that he wants to buy it, but could not get up there till tonight (Thurs), to get the purchase order and give the dealer a down payment to hold the truck. The dealer said no problem, i will give you 24Hr hold on the truck by word off mouth, buddy said that works. So he drives about an hour out of his way after he got out of work tonight to the dealer to get the purchase order and give them the money to hold the truck. When he pulls in he noticed that the truck he was going to buy was gone. He storms into the dealer and says where did that green 01 cummins go? A different salesmen that he had not been dealing with says, oh we sold that this afternoon. Needless to say my buddy laid out every cuss word he could think of. The salesmen that he was dealing with was not there, he had left early for the night . My buddy talked to the owner of the dealership and told him what happend and the owner said well we dont hold vehicles anymore by word of mouth, well that just made him even more upset.
Just thought i would share the story.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:41 PM

Lesson in life #1. He who hesistates loses. He should have signed the deal Tuesday.

Lesson in life #2. Salesmen lie.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:51 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Almost the same thing happened to me some years back while buying a Subaru. Went to pick it up in Anchorage (four hours each way). When we got to the dealer they said they had tried to call me hours earlier to make sure we still wanted it, since we didnt answer they sold it to somebody else. Than they tried to give us a "good deal" on a new car. Nothing I could do and I didnt have much to say to them because my wife said it all.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear that but remember no money down no hold ...money talks. never take a salesman work...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:27 PM

Yeah, he would have given the salemen money on Tuesday to hold the truck, but the salesman told him to just go online and fill out the finance application and he would run it in the morning. Well my buddy did that and the next day the salesmen called him and said that no banks wanted to lend the money because of the miles on the truck, so my buddy said let me call my local credit union. Buddy called the credit union and they said, sure no problem we can lend you the money, so, my friend calls the salesmen back (Wed) and says that his bank will loan the money for the truck, can i come up today, (thurs) to give you money to hold the truck and get the purchase order and the salemen said yeah, i will hold it for you for 24 hrs.
It sucks cause he was stoked on getting the truck and to start bombing it.
I have only met a couple of car salesmen that are not scumbaggs.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Look at the bright side,with those miles it was past due for a VP anyway.

Bob
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by TreeFarm
Lesson in life #1. He who hesistates loses. He should have signed the deal Tuesday.

Here here!!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Here here!!
X3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 PM

That sucks, but think about it. If you tell me "I'm going to buy it tomorrow" and then your brother comes up to me and says "I'm going to buy it right now." You both may have money, but you didn't offer it today, you offered it tomorrow. Yeah it sucks, but how was that salesmen supposed to know for sure you'd be there. I have been a salesmen before, 99% of the time, they never show up when people say that. In fact, we normally take that as "see ya, never gonna see you again."
Old 09-07-2007, 07:50 AM

In my opinion and experience green backs are better than be backs. Good luck next time.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without a deposit he really can't complain. You know how many times those dealerships have heard "Ill be back" or "I'm coming back at a certain time".

I've sold things out from under people who refused to make the effort to leave deposit, didn't even think twice, you snooze you lose.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM

Yeah, i know that money talks, but the salesman never ever said a word about him giving a little green to hold the truck, just gave him his buisness card and said go online and fill out the finance app which he did. This dealership is not your typical big dealer like a dodge, chevy or ford ect, it is a some what small private buisness that has been around for about 75 years and the pride themselves on customer service
Old 09-08-2007, 07:40 AM

that why i try to avoid small time dealers. when i bought my last 2 vehicles, my Dodge and the Jeep, i bought them both from big name dealer.

of course the big name dealers could do the same thing. when i bought my truck i stayed at the dealer till they found some one to say yes, and i drove the truck home. i did end up being late for work that day, but i didnt care cause i had my truck.

the dealer still did **** me in a way though, with having too replace that brake rotor that was cut in about 1/8" on one side.

same thing happened to me with my apartment in Columbus, OH. went and found this really nice 1 bedroom apartment, new carpet, fresh paint, washer/dryer hookup. went to look at it and knew, it was the one. didnt have my check book with me for a deposit. found out a few days later, when i faxed the app to them, that as soon as i left the day i saw it some on came by and put a deposit on it.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I understand it's frustrating when you are looking forward to something and excited about a new purchase and it doesn't work out.

But........ I'm sure he could have given them a Visa deposit or something similar, not taking somebodys money when they are standing there willing to do a deal is foolish. The dealer is there to do business, the salesman needs a sale to make a living, what should he say to the willing paying customer?? Nope I can't seel you the truck some guy SAYS he is going to come back and buy it???

Welcome to the world of business, I'd just consider it lesson learned and move on, no point worrying about it.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by TreeFarm

I think this is X4!!

When I found my truck online, it was Sunday afternoon. Called the dealer Monday morning, got some details and left a deposit on my c.c for $200. With that, they could not rightfully sell it out from under me. I drove out to see it Monday night, went back to get it Weds. on my day off. (place was 2hrs. away)
You have to act that fast when you find the truck you are looking for, when it comes to these trucks, you have to realize you are not the only one looking for it.

I still feel for him a little, but hopefully it was a learning experience.

Quick Reply: Dealer Sold Truck Out from Under my buddy!