Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Darwin award candidates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 11:00 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Darwin award candidates?

No luck as Irish trucks keep getting stuck

By David McKittrick

Ireland - The Irish authorities have tried a whole battery of measures, including television advertising, website warnings and distributing maps to the industry and individual firms.

So far nothing seems to have stopped Irish truck drivers becoming wedged under bridges.

And it is becoming a major safety and transport problem.

'It's insane that somebody could be stupid enough to hit that bridge'
The occasional misjudgment of head-room would be understandable, but in the Irish Republic such incidents are alarmingly frequent, given that all bridges are height-marked by law.

There have been 52 "hits" this year, and almost 700 over the past five years. One particular bridge has been struck 70 times.

Although no one has been killed for many years, bridge strikes often require costly repairs and can cause major road and rail disruption.

This is especially the case in Dublin, which is already a highly congested city.

But the Irish rail authorities have decided in their frustration that a programme of public information is not enough.

They have resorted to name-calling. When a heavy goods vehicle crashed into a Dublin bridge last week, Barry Kenny of Iarnrod Eireann declared: "It's gross stupidity not being aware of the height of the bridge."

He added: "The problem has accelerated quite badly. Another bridge that is regularly struck is 3,26m.

"It's absolutely insane that somebody could be stupid enough to hit that bridge."

Jimmy Quinn of the Irish Road Hauliers' Association takes no great exception to this assessment.

"You know, ultimately he's right, there's no argument about that," he responded.

"It's down to carelessness on the driver's behalf."

"Anybody who's driving round a vehicle and doesn't know its height is stupid. That's a bald fact and only an idiot would try to defend that."

He added: "Our mission among our people is to educate them to the dangers of it and to make sure that they are properly trained, although it is up to Irish rail to idiot-proof the thing so far as they can."

Both sides agree that the problems are caused by a small minority of road users, often those who use low-loaders to carry loads of differing heights.

And the problem cannot blamed on drivers from abroad, as a survey has shown that 90 percent of the drivers involved in bridge incidents are from the Republic.

Laser technology is now being introduced as a pilot scheme at two bridges which are regularly struck by lorries.

Placed ahead of the bridges, the laser will detect vehicles which are too high and set off flashing warning lights.

This, it is hoped, will deter at least some of those drivers who, whatever the risks, see no limits to the heights of stupidity.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably relatives of the two rednecks that I heard about who were pulling a 14' load and came to a bridge that was marked 13' 6". They pulled over and talked about it for a few minutes and then one said to the other,

I don't see anyone watching; let's go for it!
Old 05-04-2006, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know of a landscaper who piled a bunch of brush and leaves on his trailer, then parked his tractor on top of the whole pile and tried to drive through the bank drive-through. Had to buy em a new roof. Doh!