Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

In danger of cheating on Dodge!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In danger of cheating on Dodge!

I've had my truck for a little over a year now and starting on day 4, I've had nothing but problems with it. It's just over the 100,000 mile mark too. I bought it with 91,000 miles on it. Here's a parcial list of things that have gone wrong in one year:

*Fuel Shut Off Solenoid fried (twice)
*Transmission developed a leak
*Power Steering leaked
*A/C & Heater only blow out of all the vents - switch won't work
*Passenger side power window doesn't work
*Only half of my speakers are operational
*Wipers do not work correctly on delay
*Ball joints went bad
*U-Joints went bad
*Track bar is shot
*One fog light will not work at all
*Handle on passenger side on ceiling broke off
*Fuel guage doesn't work
*Water temperature guage doesn't work
*O/D won't stay locked
*(New as of today) Cruise control is acting up

This is all within one year. I know, it's getting up there in age, but seriously, there are a lot of vehicles out there twice the age that don't have a thing wrong with them. Or at least, not to this extent.

Even with all of the problems, I love my truck. But my budget doesn't allow for constant repairs. I'm looking to get rid of it sometime this winter. What I want to know is, when it comes time for me to buy my new truck (I'm looking at 1999-2000 models as my current price point) why should I take a chance on another Dodge versus buying an F350?
Old 05-16-2003, 03:24 PM

Re:In danger of cheating on Dodge!

Dodge has the better Diesel BUT Ford has the better truck.
So buy a Cummins motor and buy a Ford truck and put them together.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:26 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True...but that doesn't really answer his question.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:29 PM

There's always going to be a difference in trucks. Some will be great for many years, others won't. It does not matter which brand. You could buy a 2000 F-350 and have issues with it. You just never know. If you like what the Dodge has done for you thus far, stick with it. If not, jump ship. You'll always be welcome here no matter what. It's your money, get what you want.

Tony
Old 05-16-2003, 03:36 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine bought a GMC truck like that once.<br> Turns out it was in a flood and rebuilt on a salvage title the transferd to another state on a normal title.. :'(<br><br>Just a thought
Old 05-16-2003, 03:47 PM

Like Tony said. Also, you don't know how the previous owner(s) took care of it (or didn't take care of it), so it may just be that truck. My '99 has 85K on it (now belongs to my youngest son) and has had no issues with it. The main thing is get what you want - it IS your money you are going to be spending. The Cummins is the best engine in its class, but there are many other features that people prefer that are done better in the other makes (particularly &quot;creature comforts&quot, but for load towing these Dodges are the best. When you buy ANY make of used vehicle, it is always a &quot;buyer beware&quot; situation, and you must realize that you may be buying someone else's neglect. HTH.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:59 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doomgaze,<br>Sorry to hear that you had so many problems with your truck for the one year that you owned it. The following is my experience with my 92 CTD.<br>I purchased my 92 CTD, 4x4, 5spd, Reg Cab, LE, in 1992 and now has 108,000 km (67,000miles) on the odometer. Other than a few light bulbs, oil, lube, air &amp; fuel filters the following items have needed attention over the last 11 years.<br>1 set of tires<br>1 battery<br>2 rear axle seals<br>1 steering box<br>1 borgerson steering shaft<br>1 rwal valve<br>1 valve adjustment<br>1 replace rear seal on transfer case<br>1 replace of rear brake shoes and turning drums front pads still have 60% lining remaining<br>1 serpentine belt<br><br>I must admit I was a bit apprehensive when I first purchased the truck, first because it was a Dodge and secondly it was my first diesel. Any reservations that I had about the truck vanished very quickly. The first time I took it for a drive through the mountains pulling the boat, even before any bombing, I knew I had a keeper. I was impressed with both the towing capabilities of the truck and the excellent mileage. This truck has never let me down and has started in the bush after sitting for a couple of days when the temperature was -29 F. Just thought I would share my experience with my First Gen Truck over the last 11 years - you bet I am happy with my CTD. ;D ;D<br>---<br>Al<br>
Old 05-16-2003, 04:10 PM

I agree with the you might have bought a truck used like mine :-X its been through HE dubble hockey sticks and I have the body shop on my cell phone ready for more work. It hase been painted two times in the last three years. It has also been wlded on besause I broke he spring tower when I hit a hole mudding which was fun and $$. I would never sell my truck for the fact that I know the next owner would have problems with it. Why? because I put it through more than a truck should be put through. When buying another truck make sure you check it out really well. If you take a look at mine you can see where things don't line up the way the did when it was new plus it has some small spots where it has to be cut out and a new piece of metal put back in because of being hit in the side by a car <br>Best of luck to ya if you get a new truck.<br>DM01
Old 05-16-2003, 04:10 PM
Banned

I think you may have gotten a lemon. My family was a little aprehensive getting me a Dodge. But I had to have a diesel, and they wouldn't buy me a ferd (previous experience), and the new Dmax cost to much. So we bought mine. I've got 36,000 or so on mine and here's what I've replaced:<br><br>2 Lift pumps (put a Holley Black on it last time)<br>One set of front pads (I liked &quot;panic&quot; stops )<br>2 sets of tires (first ones at 6000 and the second at 26,000)<br>Tranny electronics<br><br>About 20,000 or so miles were the Comp and pump wire hooked up. I rag the crap out of my truck to. I plan on driving this truck into the ground, then ripping the drivetrain out, transplant it into another truck, and do it again.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:50 PM

I own a an 03 w/ho engine and 6sp with 40k miles with no prblems,but I also own a 98 24v 3500 dually w/auto-trans. I have spent over 6000.00. on the transmission and it still ain't right. The dealer said he has done all he can do. The tranny failed first time at 40k.The truck now has 77k.miles. I still bought another dodge,but if this one don't perform and so far it has,it'l be my last.
Old 05-16-2003, 05:15 PM

Doomgaze -<br><br>I had the same experience with a Ford, that you've had with your Dodge. Sometimes you get a bad one. My current Dodge has over 100k, and I've only replaced the lift pump, and front brake pads. It has not been in the shop for anything. Truly the best truck I have owned.<br><br>I hope your next truck, regardless of brand, is a good one.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:22 PM

Like FmF said, Sometimes you just get a bad one, or as I have heard before, sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Good Luck
Old 05-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

You bought a Used truck with 91,000 appearantly hard miles on it.
When I bought the '99 CTD I gave a relative my '90 Dodge 1/2 ton gasser (well maintained of couse) with 140,000 on the clock and he's still driving it.
It's now beat-up, dented, paint chipped &amp; peeling, tires don't match, polished aluminum wheels corroded, interior filthy, gas door as well as the nifty Ram's head hood ornament now MIA..... :'( :'(, now over 200,000 miles and still passes emmisisions tests and runs like a top.

It's all in how it's cared for.
Hope you have better luck with the next one.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had nothing but problems with each and every used vehicle I've owned.<br><br>Haven't had a single issue with any of the new vehicles I've owned, or currently own.<br>I know exactly how they've been treated since they left the dealer lot.<br><br>First vehicle was a Plymouth, very used, but by my father so I know how it was taken care of, got rid of it cause it was butt ugly.<br><br>Had a pontiac next, replaced engine, tranny, suspension, among other things before I traded up to:<br><br>a Ford much like what was described in the first post, previous owner/owners didn't take care of it at all.<br><br>Had a Chevy much the same, finally got sick of fixing everything engine related and dropped a new engine in it.<br>(brand spankin new crate engine no less) but the other non-engine related problems kept cropping up.<br><br>That was my last used vehicle, I've had new ever since.<br><br>Don't knock the Maker, point fingers at the subsequent guardians.<br><br><br>phox
Old 05-16-2003, 06:55 PM

[quote author=RamlovingVet link=board=10;threadid=14818;start=0#138982 date=1053117389]
A friend of mine bought a GMC truck like that once.
Turns out it was in a flood and rebuilt on a salvage title the transferd to another state on a normal title.. :'(

Just a thought
[/quote]

See, that's the thing. There are a few things on this truck that would suggest it's been wrecked. I would have never noticed them before I bought it, so now I'm kind of stuck with it. The problem with finding out if it's really a salvage title is...how much evidence is enough?

[quote author=RamlovingVet link=board=10;threadid=14818;start=0#138982 date=1053117389]
I've had nothing but problems with each and every used vehicle I've owned.

Haven't had a single issue with any of the new vehicles I've owned, or currently own.
I know exactly how they've been treated since they left the dealer lot.

First vehicle was a Plymouth, very used, but by my father so I know how it was taken care of, got rid of it cause it was butt ugly.

Had a pontiac next, replaced engine, tranny, suspension, among other things before I traded up to:

a Ford much like what was described in the first post, previous owner/owners didn't take care of it at all.

Had a Chevy much the same, finally got sick of fixing everything engine related and dropped a new engine in it.
(brand spankin new crate engine no less) but the other non-engine related problems kept cropping up.

That was my last used vehicle, I've had new ever since.

Don't knock the Maker, point fingers at the subsequent guardians.

[/quote]

That's a good point. However, I'm not exactly in the situation to be buying a brand new truck. Believe me, I would be driving a 2003 Ram 3500 if I could!!

It's not easy to avoid getting a problem used vehicle. The truck ran great when I drove it on the test drives. A lot of the problems I now notice were covered up during the buying process.

I wish I was a lawyer back then, because then I would have known my options when things started to go back from the start. I find it hard to believe as many things that went wrong within the first week, the guy didn't know about them. Yet, he never disclosed any problems with the truck.

Quick Reply: In danger of cheating on Dodge!