Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dad's old Shelby Cobra Race Car - FOUND!!! Oh YESSS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Dad's old Shelby Cobra Race Car - FOUND!!! Oh YESSS!!!!

Guys you gotta check out this thread. I found it on the SAAC forum and after sitting in a garage in Florida for over 40 years, my Dad's car was RESTORED in Canada and sold for... are you ready for it?????

1.2 MILLION DOLLARS!

That is crazy, but the car is beautiful. When I found out where the car was I started posting old racing pictures of Dad from the 60's showing the same car in it's original condition. I'm trying to reach the current owner now to see if we can go see it and get pictures of family sitting in the car. That would be SWEET. Dad raced the car for a while and won a bunch of races in it. It was restored by LME in Ontario Canada and they did a great job. They restored it to the same condition as it was when Dad raced in Daytona.

Check it out!

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=5377.0

Teaser pic...

Old 06-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Dude, awesome read on the other forum. There is one pic there from Sebring... that is where I went to high school at, been to a few 12 and 24 hours of Sebring... awesomeness...
Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was way cool Jack. Thanks for sharing. I hope you get in touch with the new owner & your dream comes true. Just how fast will your work car go mr. trooper?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tankeryanker
Just how fast will your work car go mr. trooper?
It'll beat my truck in the half mile... don't know how fast that is...
Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

That is neat stuff. Glad you posted it.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:20 AM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by tankeryanker
That was way cool Jack. Thanks for sharing. I hope you get in touch with the new owner & your dream comes true. Just how fast will your work car go mr. trooper?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 AM
DTR Founder

Thanks guys. Its amazing how much those guys know about this stuff over there. They are picking people out of pictures I never could figure out the names of. They are good that's for sure. We are working on an arrangement so that I can see the car. I can't wait!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I just love "resurrection" stories like that! Gotta be a great feeling to see it and bring back great memories!!

Probably wish you had it back!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:25 PM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I just love "resurrection" stories like that! Gotta be a great feeling to see it and bring back great memories!!

Probably wish you had it back!
I do wish I had it but I wouldn't sell it. Dad sold it to a guy in 1968 and the guy drove it to California and back then left it in a garage for approximately 41 years before LME restored it and sold it for 1.2 mil.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Well dang. Why didn't you buy it back? I know first hand how overpayed LEO's are. You only would have had to borrow 1.199 mil.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...that is so darn cool..
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I had a friend who's dad left him an old barn full of great cars, but no A/C Cobra. He did get a GT 500, a hemi Allard, a Gullwing MB and an SS396 Chevelle and El Camino.

Pretty nice.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I remember watching that car go around the track at Riverside way back in the day....funny how small a world it truly is
Old 07-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, Jack - - that is soooo neat. Brought back a lot of memories for me - - sure wish I had the pics to back them up. Loved racing. Pomona drag strip. Ran a twin engine (Chrysler) dragster. They had to lengthen the end zone after my first run. Almost went into the barb wire fence before I could get thing stopped. Ran an XK120 an MGTD. Did the 1 mle in Minnepolis at state fair and some dirt track. Great days. Have the injuries to prove it - - OUCH.

Thanks for sharing. Have always dreamed of finding my 40 Chev coupe that was customized and really souped - - little rascal would scream for a six banger. OK bob, go back and read your paper. Supper is about ready - - cool down. .....

Keep us posted WHEN you sit in that sucker. PICS

Bob
Old 07-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Great story, Jack

My favorite car ever built, I might add.

I do believe that the car is in a "just a teenie weenie little" bit better shape that when your dad raced it @ daytona Just a bit..

Looks like a concourse restoration, to me. I'd be afraid to ever drive the darn thing as you might get a bug splattered on the body and have a heart attack..... Immaculate

Again, great story. I love these barn finds that come back to life..

Ever visited this site ?

http://www.carsinbarns.com/

Careful, you might get sick.... so keep a spare bucket next to your chair.... you might just need it.

Quick Reply: Dad's old Shelby Cobra Race Car - FOUND!!! Oh YESSS!!!!