Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dad! You need a new mirror on your truck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dad! You need a new mirror on your truck.

I'm currently out of the country but usually call home every night. Well, the other night I call home and my 16 year old son answers. I ask him how his day was and he says he doesn't know. So I say was it good, bad, had fun, school sucked, or what. Then he says "Dad, you need a new mirror on your truck". I'm thinking rock from lawnmower or something because he rarely ever drives it, usually the Explorer.
Wellllll, the Explorer was in the shop getting a new exhaust system ($184).
So he drove my truck to school that morning. Heavy dew that morning. He was driving too fast or blind or both and goes through the "T" a mile from my house. He did have the brakes on by that time. NO ONE coming "Thank God". But he barely missed the utility pole when he went through the Tee. Well actually the drivers side mirror didn't quite make it. Then the front left tire went up and over the guy wire. Wife says something not right with the front end now, but she limped it back to the house. The power company had too come out and unhook the guy wire. Plus my wife says a small dent in the fender and some scraped paint. Deputy's ticked the box on the report that says over $500. Not a good week. Earlier in the week the Expidition went in for new tires and Spark Plugs, That was planned to the tune of $800. Then last night when I talk too my wife I ask how was your day? Do you see a pattern here? She says Welllll, I mowed lawn today. I asked did you get done (we mow 3+ acres)? She says no and I probably won't until you get home. I'm thinking Oh! Oh! Well first something on the leading arm on the deck broke. She noticed it beacause it wouldn't turn very sharp in one direction. But she decided she would go ahead and mow some more. Just not turn that way. Then after another 1/2 hour or so she notices the back tire is flat. This is on a Kubota (B1750) with big turf tires, Well I was wanting to buy a rear mount mower and get rid of the mid mount deck anyway. I'm kind of scared to call home tonight. The best part of the whole deal is that my son "didn't get hurt" and will probably be a more careful driver from now on (I Hope) and everyone else is healthy. So I am blessed, just some bumps in the road here and there. I hope others enjoy this tail. If not, just remember it was free.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:02 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Not sure whether to laugh at your problems or to sympathize with you. Or both maybe
I have two grown sons and there were many times similar to yours that were not exactly pleasant. Like: "Where is the car?"
"Well, it has to be towed home".
"What's the matter with it".
"It's leaking oil".
"Where from"
"The oil pan".
"The oil pan? That's strange. How do you know?"
"I looked underneath and there is a big rock sticking out of it and there is no oil pressure".
"How did you manage to hit the rock" (Parents antenna vibrating)
"I didn't see it"
"How did you not manage not to see a big rock on the road?"
And so the conversation went, until he admitted racing his buddy (who drove a Jeep) thru a farmers field at night. Not only did he put a nice hole in the pan, but he also broke the oil pump right off.
He learned how to R&R an oil pan in the driveway and how to install a new oil pump!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexstan, I'd go for the laughter myself. You know what they say, "Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug." When I was 18 I wrecked my dad's 1975 Chevy Impala. It was the only new car he ever bought in his life and it was about 3 years old at the time. He never really said a whole lot just wanted to know if I was OK. In later years I gave him an old Dodge van that I took on a trade for a Jeep I was selling. He tried to pay me for it but I told him it was for the Impala. He drove that Dodge back and forth to work for about ten years. When I wrote the mirror incident, I hoped it might brighten some people's day, thinking that maybe their week wasn't so bad after all. I'm not complaining it's just life and stuff happens. I am really blessed, I have 5 healthy kids, a beautiful wife that I still love as much or more than I did when I married her 20+ years ago, a home in a a wildlife paradise that we love and a good job that I actually enjoy. As a PS to the tale, when talking to my wife I commented that this was the second mirror in a month (The first was on her Expedition backing out of the garage). She told me if I didn't bring that up, she wouldn't bring up the time I backed into the house with my old truck.