Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Crotch Rocket....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You street bike guys please be careful. As I was coming home from work tonight cruising along about 75mph, I passed a group of them. One decided to ride a wheelie down the 4 lane heavily traveled freeway right after I passed him. It is not a matter of if that idiot is going to eventually have a spill, it is just a matter of how bad of a spill it's going to be.

And when he does have a spill, there isn't much there to protect him.

No thanks. I will stick with my ATV riding in the dirt where things are a little bit more controlled.

Good luck to all of you. And please wear a helmet. (not because it's the law, but because it could very well save your life)

Old 04-23-2008, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever ridden a sport bike? My brother had a cbr 600 and the a 'Busa 1300- they make your brain melt into mush... The 'Busa would hit the rev limiter at 105mph in first

get an older honda Shadow 1100 or something; they are cheap, get good milage, and let your brain live mush free!!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First bike? No street experience? Buy gear first, and spend lotsa money on it and wear it, becuase it will save your......skin. Next take an MSF course and learn.

As far as bike...? I would seriously look at a motard (supermoto) or a used SV650. And it does not need to be new and shiny beacuse you will drop it..more than once.

Check out this forum, it is made up of some good guys with lots of experience http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/
Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSunShyne
As far as bike...? I would seriously look at a motard (supermoto) or a used SV650. And it does not need to be new and shiny beacuse you will drop it..more than once. [/URL]
especially since you have experience on a dirt bike, this would be a great crossover. then you could get adjusted to riding on a street with cars, and pedestrians, and still be in controll of the bike.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:19 AM

My fav was my 98 Kawi ZX7R........loved that bike and still miss it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:27 AM

I'm not sure about buyin one of those crossover bikes.... i never liked them...
I won't be stupid as I have seen way to much go wrong when not using my head.
and as for helmet and gear i will always wear it
Old 04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Chapter President

I had a cbr in japan years ago, awesome little bike. I have ridden the r6, gsxr 600/750, suzukis sv650 and the v-twin(not sure of model). My all time fav was the rc51, lite and nimble not like the battle cruiser hayabusa(sure it's fast but it has to park at the megacab long bed parking spots)

The sv650 I rode was a excellent bike, sure it's not the "crotch rocket" look but if you ain't rode a street bike before it's quick and nimble and a good starter bike. I knew a guy that started with that and it was probably more than he should have had, wrecked it several times when he thought he was getting "good".

Most bike shops have test rides and such, check with your local dealers and go put around on their dime then you can get a feel for what you want. The 600's of today are wicked fast, not like the creatures of my time back in the early 90's. Get your gear, good helmet and you should get some training. Lots of good courses, knew some guys that went to Atlanta to the Kevin Schwantz school and loved it......don't wreck their bike cause you'll pay for it.

I'm holding out for my rc51 or a ducatti.....hmmmm
Old 04-23-2008, 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the help guys im gona enroll in some courses soon
Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 PM

I have the bikes in my sig (I'm a Kawai fan). I grew up on dirt bikes, but my first road bike was the ZX-9R. Everyone told me to get a small bike first, but they only go as fast as you make them, so if you are smart with your bike you'll be fine. As far as choosing which brand of bike is the best is like splitting hairs. I'm a Kawasaki fan, but Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha all make great bikes. It really comes down to what you like better. Have fun, bikes are a great hobby.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Coolhand37
I have the bikes in my sig (I'm a Kawai fan). I grew up on dirt bikes, but my first road bike was the ZX-9R. Everyone told me to get a small bike first, but they only go as fast as you make them, so if you are smart with your bike you'll be fine. As far as choosing which brand of bike is the best is like splitting hairs. I'm a Kawasaki fan, but Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha all make great bikes. It really comes down to what you like better. Have fun, bikes are a great hobby.
Thanks man i was really hopin to hear something like this cause i really like the 600 class bikes!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Checkmate
But they are cheaper than the truck tires
You priced bike tires lately??
They are only slightly cheaper.
At least the good ones are.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 PM

Atleast there arent as many lol
Old 04-23-2008, 08:03 PM

I would have to agree with coolhand, looking at the 600 class is like splitting hairs. All the bikes nearly weigh, look, and handle the same. I have always been partial to Honda's only because I had a relative that worked at a Honda shop. Regardless of what you decide I would look for a used one. You may have to shop around to find one that was ridden right and not beat on. Most common trend I see is people buy a brand new 600 and then they think they've outgrown it and trade it in for something bigger only to end up even more upside down on a loan. You can find some good deals on used 600's. Unfortunately spring is the worst time to buy.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:57 PM

lol thats what i figured about the timing... i may wait awhile and i was going to get used anyway for my first bike
Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Chapter President

Used bikes are good, because then you won't feel nearly as bad when you dump it. It's inevitable, there are bikers who have crashed and bikers who will crash. I dumped mine twice, once in a 180 degree curve on the mountain(full leathers) and once in the city around a corner, just putting along not being stupid or crazy. Always where your gloves, lace up boots over the ankle, jeans. I can't say jacket cause I did t-shirts on hot days, but I'll tell you that the road will eat up a pair of jeans and road rash sucks. I knew a guy that dumped his with a t-shirt and they were scrubbin rocks out of his back. It was nasty looking stuff....

Not trying to freak ya out, just protect yourself use your gear and have fun