Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Credit Advice: is it April Fools?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Credit Advice: is it April Fools?

is this some kind of joke? or are they serious?

how do you tell if they are being sarcastic?

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...bb-creditcards

Open More Credit Cards

Max Out (Some of) Your Credit Cards

Don't Ask for a Lower APR
Old 03-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if they are serious or not, but I sure wouldn't follow that advice.
The person offering it does not seem to smart to me.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Somehow related to Biden saying that America has to spend its way out of debt? Individual Americans should do the same? Maybe send your past due credit card bills to the White House, see what happens.

Hey, that's an idea... if you're really close to insolvency and just don't care anymore, why not put in a change of address with all your creditors and forward your mail to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
So basically the only way to have a good credit score is to run up debt? Good plan...

Not even sure what a good credit score is supposed to mean anymore. And the way things affect it seem to oppose all logic.

For example, after getting married last year, my wife was updating her name with all her accounts. Everyone ran a credit check in order to make the name change. We watched her score drop when nothing changed but her last name.

And when you run a credit report, in the negative factors section it always shows lists how much you have against your accounts. So how in the world can maxing a card or two out positively affect your score?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Run up MORE debt for a better credit score? It makes me wonder who the moron was that wrote that article because that is some of the worst advice I've ever heard.

I try not to go over 1/3 of my cards limits because of the interest they charge, or if I do go over that amount I'll wait until the card shows its been used and electronically put money on it before the end of the billing cycle or the start of the next.

Makes me wonder about people, and if Darwin was right.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:34 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

The author starts off ok with “card holders would still do well to pay on time, keep their balances low and refrain from applying for too many credit cards at once” than takes up the next two pages giving out very poor advice (in my opinion). Of course what would I know. I only have two CC’s and they get paid off in full every month. Oh, I don’t have a clue as to what my credit score is either.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just bought a house and early in the mortgage process the banker was trying to give us some grief because we had payed off all of our loans and most of our credit cards...seems that in his opinion we weren't deep enough in debt to go further into debt, got past that little roadblock then he got even madder cuz we wanted to pay the loan down further than he wanted us too....seems I kept spoiling his fun...er commission check....by keeping my ratios entirely too low for him.