Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Crazy/stupid things you did while younger - and survived!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:57 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Crazy/stupid things you did while younger - and survived!

OK guys and gals. Something from another on-going thread made me think of this, so have fun.

What did you do in your younger years that was was probably stupid and today looking back, wonder why you survived?

I will start it off with one of the many crazy and stupid things I did. My fathers car had a sun roof and we lived out in the country. Learned to drive when I was 9. The ground tended to be very sandy and the sandy roads quickly developed a middle hump between the wheels that if you strayed out of the tracks tended to throw the car violently out of control. This middle hump more often than not was as high as the suspension. In other words we drove down deep sandy ruts.

One day when I was about 14 was out driving with some friends and on impulse decided to open the sun roof, sit on the roof, steer with my feet and use a stick for the gas pedal and of course, drive as fast as possible. Managed to stay away from the dreaded middle hump, but did almost kill a few chickens that ran in front of the car as I could not reach the brake pedal.

Gene pool? What gene pool?
Did many other things that in retrospect, all I can do is shake my head and wonder why God preserved me.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buddy and I were playing with matches, he took one out of the box, reached over to a metal fence post and lit the match, looked up and his mother was standing right there...

Had no idea our mothers had that level of solidarity!!!

Can't believe I survived that one...
Old 03-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I could use up a lot of bandwidth posting in this thread.

I jumped off a third floor balcony and landed on a passerby that had a case of beer. I got the beer.

Drove at 120 mph with the cruise while sitting on the door sill while I relieved myself en route to another party.

Stuck a pair of tweezers into a wall plug. Knocked me against the wall, blew the breaker, splatter my pants with the metal from the tweezers and destroyed moms tweezers. I felt different ever since.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mexstan
what did you do in your younger years that was was probably stupid and today looking back, wonder why you survived?

got married!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Uh, much younger and dumber.
Step 1.) Add many beers.
Step 2.) Get in back of friends truck.
Step 3.) Ask friend to stop for a sec....
Step 4.) When friend does not stop, decide it would be a good idea to jump out anyway..............at 30 MPH.

Yes, Jesus loves me dearly.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of our favorite past times was to go to one of the country roads out in the middle of no where. No houses for miles, just woods and swamps. It was a popular area for guys to take their dates. One section had a hill running up from the road, and we'd make two piles of brush/sticks/small logs; one just off the road side and another about a quarter of a mile down the road, but this one blocking the road completely. We'd go back to the first and sit behind the pile that was just off the side of the road and wait for a car to go by, heading towards the pile blocking the road. As soon as the car had passed we'd drag the pile out into the road, blocking the whole road off for a second time. As soon as we were done, we'd head to the woods on the hill, just far enough up that we couldn't be seen but close enough that we could see what was happening at the pile. The car that went by would come to the pile blocking the road and, more often than not, turn around and head back the way they came. Most of them were too lazy to get out and physically move the pile. After they'd turned around and headed back they'd run into the second pile we'd blocked the road with after they'd gone by, effectively blocking them in. A lot of them would turn around and head back to the first pile they had encountered, probably hoping that it had magically moved and they could get thru. They'd turn around again and come back to the second pile, get out of their car and yell and swear at us up on the hill. Occasionally they'd run up the hill after us. Of course, they didn't see us or even know we were there for sure, but when that happened it scared the snot out of us. One guy ran right by us twice and never saw us. Maybe that was part of the fun.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:54 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Just the other day I was recalling a lot of my indiscretions...God is merciful.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Oh boy could fill a few pages with this thread.

One of the stupider ones
I was 15 and borrowed a friends car had to be back at midnight to pick him up from work. Picked up another friend went to a back to school kegger party out in the weeds. This party was huge. 50 kegs, hundreds of people. Kegs iced down in horse water troughs. My friend and I got tired of waiting in line for beer so we decided to man a couple of kegs and pour for those two lines so we wouldnt have to wait in line. After a while we were totally smashed and decided we had best start heading back to pick up the guy. Mind you it was still light out so it was not anywhere near time to pick him up. I decided I was too drunk to drive and let my friend drive. The car, a 69 Nova had a rubber strip around the bumper. My friend after driving about 15 mintues hit a parked car with this rubber strip. So no damage to either vehicle except to that rubber strip which about 6 inches of it was hanging loose now (no one around for the other vehicle but was no damage to it). Since he was obviously too drunk to drive I took over. We continued on our way and it sure seemed to take a long time to get where we were going since all we had to do was drive straight down the same road the party was on to get back. However we turned for some reason and were heading due east instead of due north. Ended up after an eternity at a Quick Trip and asked for directions. He told us and we knew he was wrong because we had just come from that direction. So we continued on and turned due north on another highway (we were actually about 40 miles from where we were supposed to be but didnt know it and were still going the wrong way. Last thing I can remember is two headlights coming towards us. Next thing I know I am bouncing on the pavement. I fell out of the car I was driving. To make it worse so did my friend. We both fell out of the car at the same time. This woman comes running out of a farmhouse in her nightgown wanting to know if we were ok and should she call an ambulance or the police. We told her we were fine and no assistance was necessary. We both had road rash from head to foot and beat to heck. I had a stick sticking out of my thigh, my pants and shirt were shredded. He was in the same condition. We still didnt know where we were. Got back in the car which was facing the wrong direction on the shoulder of the road and nothing was wrong with it at all. Looked like someone just parked it there. We got back in and drove off. Finally found civilization and ran into a Pizza Hut. Wanted to use the phone the manager would not let us (mind you this place was packed with people and here we were bleeding and torn to shreds). We just wanted to call the guy and let him know we were going to be late. He finally relented and let us use the phone got back to the guy went to his house got cleaned up a bit and got home. Woke up in the morning sat up in bed and passed out. Once I woke up again I rolled off the bed onto the floor and crawled down the hallway when my mom saw me and freaked out. She called an ambulance and took me to the hospital where they fixed me up. Nothing real serious just major road rash, cuts, bruises etc. Got back home. My dad got home from work that evening and proceeded to pound on me for riding a motorcycle (which I wasnt supposed to be doing at that time) and wrecking it. I couldnt really tell them I went to a kegger, got drunk and fell out of a car I was driving. So I told them I wrecked on my bike coming down this really big hill by our house. He obviously didnt believe me. So after falling out of the car and getting thoroughly thrashed by my dad I got to start my first day of High School all bandaged up and stiff as a board. What a few days that was. I still have a few scars from that road rash today.
Only thing I can figure even after all these years was that I went off the shoulder of the road and the car fish tailed one way and flung my door open and out I went, then fish tailed the other way and out he went.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Banned

Water ski in irrigation ditches......behind car or truck.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
Water ski in irrigation ditches......behind car or truck.
That's just resourceful!

I wouldn't know where to start and there's not enough bandwidth to finish, but..............
Was about 16, cliff jumping with some friends and a we got a crowd watching us from across the river, beer was involved. I thought it would be funny to moon the crowd as I jumped. Seemd like a good idea at the time. Thought I had plenty of time to get my shorts down AND back up before I hit the water. Found out there was plenty of time to pull them down, then SMACK!
It was like getting hit between the legs with a baseball bat!
After a couple more math classes, found out that jumping off a 40' cliff only allows you about a second and a half to perform that maneuver!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:43 PM

We used to charge up capacitors and toss them at each other...

Tobogganing behind the van, the first person on the toboggan always wore the helmet (safety first)

Cross country skiing behind the van (spectacular crashes)

Riding in the clothes dryer...

Used to take the lead out of the 22 shells and replace them with wax and have our own version of paintball.

Drive 80 mph in the dodge truck and decide to crawl out on the windshield to check the windshield wipers. (beer was involved) Whats really funny is when the person is out there and turn the wipers and washer on. Lots of colorful metaphors are said. Funny as all get out.

Screw downhill skiis onto the bottom of a old couch and take it down the tobogganing hill.

Hook 120 volts, 15 amps into a 15" speaker and plug it in to the wall outlet see what happens. (what happens is the whole house will go dark and my friends dad starts yelling REALLY loudly)

The list could go on and on...
Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM

while drive down the interstate going 80mph and climbing out of the sun roof to pass beer back and forth between friends car and mine
Old 03-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I called Madhat a wuss. < beer was involved >
Old 03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I called Madhat a wuss. < beer was involved >
Don't be talking trash about my little Brother Madhat I KNOW where you live
Old 03-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Don't be talking trash about my little Brother Madhat I KNOW where you live
Not too many people survive to tell that story. Lesson learned

Quick Reply: Crazy/stupid things you did while younger - and survived!