Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

coyote callers and coyote hunting

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you werent kidding about being over run by hogs lol
Old 01-23-2009, 10:31 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a 17HMR or a 223 for most hunts. The 17 is plenty up close with a well placed shot, IMO. I can drive tacks with this little Browning T-Bolt I recently purchased. We work in a team of a caller and a shooter or two.

I use a red fox or rabbit distress and we do some challenge howls, etc. Texas is loaded with yotes. We use some hand calls and some electronic.

They are fat this winter.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:33 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have the same problem with hogs here. They are everywhere and rooting up the wheat fields, etc. I hate dealing with them after the kill. Lazy I guess
Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM

Rip I'll be glad to come down, drink some beer, ride on the rhinos and do some hog huntin with ya. They've got the same problem at my buddies ranch in woodson. We have a good time with em. We'll go out at night either in the k5 with no top, or on 4wheelers with an ice chest of BL, some spot lights and plenty of ammo, and have a hell of a time. Sounds like we need to head down your way for a weekend or two
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
We have the same problem with hogs here. They are everywhere and rooting up the wheat fields, etc. I hate dealing with them after the kill. Lazy I guess
We'll eat the little ones, but most of em we just put em in a bottom out of the way and let the coyotes get em. They're way too nasty in the summer time to eat. Full of ticks,fleas, mange and lice. Theres no way we're eatin em, they're just so overrun so we just kill em to try and keep the population down
Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets do it!!! The more ppl the more hogs we take down. We sometimes get close enough to allow me to bust a few with my xd40. All night fun, if we get bored we go find some mud or cruise around the back roads.

WE usually just drag the hogs off into the woods, got a couple of friends that'll take the little ones for food, but yeah they are nasty, its a pretty bad smell. But its that smell that lets us know where they are, you can smell it from quite a distance.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Gime a weekend and we'll head that way. Rbrettctd is on here too, and hes also got a rhino. I just bought me an AR for hogs and coyotes, and I'm achin to use it. So far its just been shootin into a tank dam
Old 01-23-2009, 11:27 AM

count me in, i got a couple ar15's that need some ammo run through them and my mini 30...all good hog hunting rifles
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Well give me a couple of weeks to make some plans and I'll fill ya in, so that we can pick the best time to suit us. They like the warm better here, don't see em much in the cold (hit and miss).
Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 AM

So maybe we should have a TX DTR/ATV/hog hunting meet at Rips place
Old 01-23-2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Well give me a couple of weeks to make some plans and I'll fill ya in, so that we can pick the best time to suit us. They like the warm better here, don't see em much in the cold (hit and miss).
We'll wait till spring cause they're usually out alot more then. Plus I hate ridin in the cold. But we definatly should do it.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 AM

That actually sounds good, my place is down a long private road, nobody lives too close around us, and we can stir a ruckus all we want. A special DTR get together.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by mtl0727
count me in, i got a couple ar15's that need some ammo run through them and my mini 30...all good hog hunting rifles
I've got an S&W 500 pistol that I've been dying to hit a hog with. Havn't really gotten close enough with it yet, but man I'd love to see the damage it'll do
Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by rip 112
That actually sounds good, my place is down a long private road, nobody lives too close around us, and we can stir a ruckus all we want. A special DTR get together.
Sounds like a plan to me. Sounds a lot like woodson. It doesn't matter how much noise we make, or how drunk we get, theres no one around that'll bother us. We were driving down all the county roads on 4wheelers last time, guns and beer in hand. They've run into the sheriff down there before doin the same thing, and all he said was be careful. I love places like that. It used to be like that around here, but its grown up so much, people are always complainin and gettin ticked off just for ridin down the road on a 4wheeler...much less with a gun and a beer
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM

I'v been offered to hunt hogs down there before, sounds like a blast. guns, beer, and shooting ****. my kind of fun.

Quick Reply: coyote callers and coyote hunting