Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Could The ol' Cummins Actually Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was visiting my ol ladies mom and dad for the weekend when I had my 01 cummins and a semi hauling pigs, 53 foot trailer and a freighliner pulling it... stalled at a red light and it wouldn't start... I pulled up and an older guy in a duramax said his couldn't move the semi and trailer... I chuckled and got my tow rope out and put her in 4 low and pulled him across the road... I had a grin ear to ear... he asked me what I wanted for it and I just said bragging rights
Old 12-23-2007, 11:24 PM

Dad pulled a rig out of a ditch with his stock 98. On blacktop these trucks will pull a lot

Eric
Old 12-24-2007, 02:10 AM

when i was working up north hauling logs, i had a fuel line collapes on an old kenworth. its was an owner op. unit. we pulled it back to his place with a chev 1500.
if ur gonna go get straps, track down a sling and strap maker, itll cost a little bit more but it will be safer then something u can pick up at wally world or crappy tire. with all the opinions about what can and cant break its hard to say go long or short, though it might be a good idea to have both and a clevis to reach that spot just a bit father away.
i worked for a rat holing company out of nisku. we used to get their trucks stuck all the time. one of the worst things u can do is separate a tractor trailer unit. once u get it off, u still have to get it back on. usually that means either the tractor goin back under there or offroad equipment is coming to get it out.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:38 AM

I have pulled our transport (well Ford L9000 Single Axle) and trailer out before. Quite a few times along our laneway (drops down on either side). If I had traction, I would get the rope tight, then slowly go into it. If there was ice were all I did was spin, I would tug pretty hard until we got it out.

On Pavement I wouldn't see a problem, unless as someone said earlier your truck starts bouncing

I haven't pulled too many people out this winter other than my friends. But if I come across someone stuck that I feel I could help, I'll ask them if they want my help. I do not hook the rope up however, I get them to do it. I haven't broken anything yet on other vehicles, but if I did. Well it wouldn't be my fault, I'm not the one that hooked the rope up. That is just my outlook on it
Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 AM

Talking

Sorry to bump, but this reminded me of a story I just heard. The son of a couple up the street has a Silverado 2500HD with a Duramax diesel (too bad it wasn't a Ram 2500 with a Cummins ). She had a Christmas party two weeks ago and told me in a conversation I had with her that he received a package from Princeton University (he didn't go to college; he works on oil rigs or does something to do with them). It contained a picture of their women's basketball team with a "We love you ______!" and all of their signatures. Upon asking what it was about, he told her how he pulled a charter bus out of a position just like the one the bus bsj04 found was in and a load of girls poured out of it upon getting the bus unstuck. Great story!
Old 12-31-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no doubt

i got one in a deeper mess once and actually tugged one out of an intersection another time. four low works great. the one i got in a deeper mess tho, i shoulda had some more weight in the bed...

Rick
Old 01-04-2008, 11:07 AM

I work at a car dealer and we had not 1 but 2 different idjits driving car haulers back into the lot across the street. The trailers highsided on the lip of the drive. A customer with an '02 4wd with lockers in low didn't even budge the one he hooked to. He did about a years wear on his clutch and tires though. LoL