Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Could The ol' Cummins Actually Do It?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled a Mack Dump Truck (26,000lbs Unloaded) out of a muddy field. He was dumping his load of fill on a new construction site, rain hit and he sunk his rear end. The tried pulling him out with a single axle Int. Dump truck but just spun on the stuff. I hooked up with a chain he had threw it in 4lo and he pulled me back to the point where he would spin his tires in his ruts, I started pulling, he mashed the gas , and by the time he got to the end of his ruts we had enough pull together to get him up over the hump and out of his ruts.

Long story short, you could have done it...personally I'd have had him unhook from the trailer, and pulled that back first, then pulled him out whichever way was easiest.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's best to leave an insured tow truck company do that kinda work from both sides of the fence. If you broke something on his truck, that makes you liable for damages and if you broke something on your truck, they can be held liable. Best thing I would do is make a phone call for him if need be.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 PM

As long as your tires don't bounce you "shouldn't" break any drive-train components. The bouncing tires which usually occurs when pulling on pavement is what causes axle/driveline breakage.

I say you could have done it.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

Dieseldude4x4 is right, but sometimes you can't help doing it just for the fun of it!
I, along with a Fire Dept. Ford Powerstroke utility truck pulled out a HUGE Fire Dept. front loader that was stuck up to its belly in mud. Wasn't easy, but we did it. Funny thing was, HE got stuck trying to pull ME out of the same mud. I offloaded all my firewood, then got pulled out by the Ford, he was on dry ground, and then the both of us pulled him. After he got free, the front loader went on to pull the Fire Dept Dodge Cummins utility truck out of the mud. Long story.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 89dieselkong
I pulled a jack-knifed semi out of a snow bank on the highway last year with my '89 W250. Put her in 4-lo and off we went...
Thats sounds like something one of my buddies did, except his is a hunk of junk 87, he paid a few hundred for. Also the semi was in the mudd. Funny thing was my dad was getting ready to go see if he needed pulled out.
So you should have been able to pull him right around.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Baja
Dieseldude4x4 is right, but sometimes you can't help doing it just for the fun of it! .
Yep, sometimes you just gotta try it to see but be careful. If I had a dollar for everyone I pulled out of the ditch since I started driving, I wouldn't be at this nuke station today.
I once pulled a 18 wheeler on dry pavement with my old one ton Chevy with a 307 / 4 speed just far enough for him to catch it in gear. It had a terrible granny gear and the driver said no way would I pull him far enough. I said we'll see and it worked. He was most grateful especially when I didn't charge him anything.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:47 AM

when i woeked for a custom harvesting crew we had a kw w900 pulling a case ih 2388 and a header trailer with two 36' macdon headers (98' total length) and the computer that controled the fuel pump craped out. we pulled it about three miles withch included some decend hills with a 2500 durmax. it din't do it real fast but it did do it. and that wasn't even a cummins.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:58 PM

I saw a Duramax pull one out one time so I KNOW yours would have done it.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM

I pulled my reciever hitch in half trying to pull out an MT truck with the passenger drives in the ditch.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Banned

Rick (TXdiesel007) pulled out a stuck semi once with his 96. IIRC it was loaded, at leat partly.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by BLACKDODOGE
My brothers f-350 pulled out my dads 40 ft diesel motorhome, but broke his front driveline.

That must be a ford thing... have you seen the video of the 08 powerjoke break'n his front drive shaft in a pull-off against a 4bt Hummer.

As for the semi... I remember long before I had my truck, my dad told me of a thread on here where a guy pulled a partially loaded dead semi to the nearest truck stop.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:13 PM

I pulled out a neighbor of mine when he was driving a semi. It rained ALOT here in June and was very muddy. The way our streets run, the drainage ditches are part of you yard. He had been parking in the ditch and getting out fine. Well, he didn't move the whole week it was raining and then he tried to and just sat there and spun. He was buried up to his axles. I was nice and went over and offered to pull him out. He smirked and asked if I thought I could. I said I knew I could since I would have all 4 wheels on the street. He smirked again and said lets see what we can do. Well, in the mean time , a buddy of his showed up in his F150 and told him there was no way he could get him out with his truck. So we hook up my truck and trailer and put it in 4hi and just ease into it and pull him out no problem. He got out of his truck with his jaw on the ground. I said , see I told you I could.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BAD4X4
That must be a ford thing... have you seen the video of the 08 powerjoke break'n his front drive shaft in a pull-off against a 4bt Hummer.

As for the semi... I remember long before I had my truck, my dad told me of a thread on here where a guy pulled a partially loaded dead semi to the nearest truck stop.
first of all, that was not a 2008 superduty. I first saw that video probably close to 2 years ago.

Second of all, with enough gearing and traction, any vehicle can move anything.

search youtube for the video of that vw toureg pulling the 747....

ben
Old 12-23-2007, 08:03 PM

man I have been searching for the thread of the Dodge Cummins on this site that pulled a semi to a gas station and I cant find it anymore. Nuts.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duratothemax
first of all, that was not a 2008 superduty. I first saw that video probably close to 2 years ago.

Second of all, with enough gearing and traction, any vehicle can move anything.

search youtube for the video of that vw toureg pulling the 747....

ben
Good post Ben, a pull off proves traction. And what does breaking a front drive shaft prove? Not a lot IMHO...

Quick Reply: Could The ol' Cummins Actually Do It?